Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   I'm a Superformance Cobra MKIII owner! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/144546-im-superformance-cobra-mkiii-owner.html)

raybones 03-03-2021 01:57 PM

I'm a Superformance Cobra MKIII owner!

Well on Monday I bought a Superformance Cobra MKIII! :D I am very excited to get my new to me vehicle. I purchased it from a private owner in Miami, I live in the Metro Detroit area (Novi). It should be on its way to me via closed carrier tomorrow. It is Indigo Blue with Viper Steel stripes, has 6700 miles on it. I found it right here on Club Cobra in the for sale section.

I'm excited to be part of the Superformance owners club, so to speak.

Ray

1795 03-03-2021 02:07 PM

Congratulations. Be safe and enjoy. Remember to go easy at first until you get the hand of the car. They will change ends in a hurry and there is no traction control, power steering or antilock brakes.

Welcome to the club.

Jim

hauss 03-03-2021 02:08 PM

congrats! tell us more what engine trans combo tires and such.by the way like the color choice

raybones 03-03-2021 03:44 PM

hass,
It is a Ford 460 based engine. The previous owner did not have much information.. I am the fourth owner. BLAS looked up my car and believes it is a 460 stroked to 545 cid. It has a TREMEC TKO-600 5 speed transmission. Yokohama tires 275/40ZR17 fronts and 315/35ZR17 rears, unfortunately I believe they are the original tires and should be replaced. As near as I can tell it has not had any upgrades done to the suspension.

Ray

Blas 03-03-2021 03:53 PM

Well done.....
Blas

hauss 03-03-2021 04:17 PM

wow thats a lot of cubic inches! I thought my 427 was a lot must sound great! I am one of those who believe you got to have that big sound the small cubes just do not sound the same.

ERA 626 03-03-2021 04:53 PM

welcome!! post some photos when you get her...

raybones 03-03-2021 05:13 PM

Mike,

Here are a few from when I went to Miami to look it over:

https://i.postimg.cc/C5scY7Wf/image210.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/2jQc4jV8/IMG-3506.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/CLwvJyqC/IMG-3507.jpg

Ray

Tommy 03-03-2021 05:37 PM

Ray, For all I know you are a retired Formula 1 driver, but most folks have never driven a car capable of breaking traction on the rear tires just by pushing the accelerator pedal smoothly toward the floor. When that happens the back end can jump out to one side and the car is suddenly pointed toward a curb or ditch or tree or oncoming truck. A similar thing can happen if you abruptly try to slow down from high speed by down shifting and letting off the gas on a 500+ ci engine. ... So if you are a retired F1 driver, please ignore me. Otherwise, for your own safety and others on the same road, please take it very easy at first. When you decide to find the limits on that beast, please be far away from other people and roadside obstacles. I strongly suggest you take a high performance driver's course with your car, or participate in a sanctioned autocross event. .. Enjoy your new car. Safely.

saki302 03-03-2021 08:49 PM

The stock swaybars are far too stiff in the rear vs the front, so be careful when you take your first few hard turns.

My car did a nice tail slide/drift up my block the day I drove it home. Exciting...

With the RT suspension (cobra valley), it drives and handles like a modern sports car, of not better than most.
No more surprises.

-Dave

eschaider 03-03-2021 10:03 PM

Everything that everyone has said about getting to know the car before getting frisky is spot on, Ray. SPF's are pretty good cars right out of the box, so to speak, but there are a few tender spots that need to be upgraded. One that has spanned generations of cars is the upper rear shock mounts. For doing such a good job throughout the rest of the car those shock mounts look particularly out of place.

Cobra Valley, who offers a variety of very nice upgrades, has a fix for the rear shock mounts. This is what it looks like.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...ion/img209.jpg

The whole package can easily be installed on a Saturday morning with a pizza and a few beers. Here is a link to their site with much more info, click here => Cobra Valley Rear Shock Mounts. The upgrade is SPF chassis number specific so look for the package that matches up with your chassis number.

Ed

rads42 03-04-2021 04:30 AM

Great looking car, best of luck with it!

Timinator 03-04-2021 05:20 AM

Congratulations. Just got mine the other day. Hope to see you at an event some day.

8Ball 03-04-2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1489843)
Congratulations. Be safe and enjoy. Remember to go easy at first until you get the hand of the car. They will change ends in a hurry and there is no traction control, power steering or antilock brakes.

Welcome to the club.

Jim

Congrats!!!
Make sure you join SCOF!!!!! More techincal info and
expertise on the Superformance than you can imagine. Additionally, the runs they put together will blow you away!!

Quattrotakis 03-04-2021 07:58 AM

Congrats. I really wanted that Cobra and the seller didn't respond to my messages! Coincidently I'm in Clinton Township. Enjoy!!!

raybones 03-04-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattrotakis (Post 1489888)
Congrats. I really wanted that Cobra and the seller didn't respond to my messages! Coincidently I'm in Clinton Township. Enjoy!!!

He told me I was the first to respond and he did not want to deal with more than one person at a time. He was very responsive to my inquiries and easy to talk with. I guess I got lucky.

Ray

raybones 03-05-2021 07:53 PM

My new Cobra is on the way! When it was being loaded into the car-hauler the pervious owner took a picture of the undercarriage, I can't believe how clean it is!

https://i.postimg.cc/y6F4yMpj/IMG-3571.jpg

Ray

jeffgrice 03-06-2021 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybones (Post 1489842)
Well on Monday I bought a Superformance Cobra MKIII! :D I am very excited to get my new to me vehicle. I purchased it from a private owner in Miami, I live in the Metro Detroit area (Novi). It should be on its way to me via closed carrier tomorrow. It is Indigo Blue with Viper Steel stripes, has 6700 miles on it. I found it right here on Club Cobra in the for sale section.

I'm excited to be part of the Superformance owners club, so to speak.

Ray

Congrats Ray!!!

I am also in the area...Harrison Twp.

Check out our Club - www.greatlakescobraclub.com. We have a ton of fun!

Jeff

Hotoxide 03-06-2021 10:58 AM

Nice car, Ray. You must be going crazy in anticipation. I have a Superformance MKIII also and found it hard to wait. Welcome to Club Cobra.

Dave and SNAKE65 - vin # 3319

raybones 03-06-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotoxide (Post 1489994)
Nice car, Ray. You must be going crazy in anticipation. I have a Superformance MKIII also and found it hard to wait. Welcome to Club Cobra.

Dave and SNAKE65 - vin # 3319

Thanks,

I am going crazy! I fear the hardest part will be when the car arrives and I will not be able to drive it while I wait about 4 weeks for my plates to be approved. I am putting "Authentic" 1965 plates on it and I need to have the Title in my name and mail in the application to the State of Michigan. It can't be done in person. That is going to be tough!

Ray