Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By Unique427
  • 1 Post By DrivinWest
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 4 Post By DrivinWest
  • 1 Post By Gpfarrell
  • 1 Post By DrivinWest
  • 1 Post By Alfa02

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     
Default MKII vs MKIII for a tall driver?

Hey all, I’ve restarted my Cobra acquisition planning after life got in the way. I’m starting to think that I want a Coyote engine in a Cobra, and I’m a stickler for the 90” wheelbase, so I’m zeroing in on Superformance (I was certain I wanted an ERA but with them not taking deposits and unlikely to do another Coyote car, here I am).

I’m 6’4” with a long torso. From what I’ve read, the MKIII can has dropped foot boxes, etc. and can accommodate somebody of my size. I have not been able to confirm the same on MKIIs, which I suspect could be due to the different chassis designs?

Are there any tall folks here with MKII cars? Any help is much appreciated!

BTW, here’s me in a Hurricane:
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2023, 01:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you can find a used ERA to your liking, fixing it to fit your size is not terribly difficult. For a long torso you want to have the seat sit flat on the floor, no sliders and tilted back just enough to drop your head but not so much that it puts your knees up too high or so that it's noticeable when compared to the passenger seat. I didn't know that ERA declared a moratorium on deposits. Of course you know that rights in the queue are assignable, generally for a premium. If you have your heart set on an ERA, and it's understandable if you do, then ask Bob if there's a way that he will politely inquire down the list if anyone would like to make a fast buck and sell you their position. Just a thought....
Old 02-04-2023, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I didn't know that ERA declared a moratorium on deposits. Of course you know that rights in the queue are assignable, generally for a premium. If you have your heart set on an ERA, and it's understandable if you do, then ask Bob if there's a way that he will politely inquire down the list if anyone would like to make a fast buck and sell you their position. Just a thought....
Yeah, I talked to whoever answered the phone on Thursday. He said they wouldn’t take deposits again until they got delivery times down to a year (I think it’s over two at the moment).

Good point on buying a position. I have a target of no later than March 2027 (my 50th birthday) so I’m not in a rush, I’d just like to get the ball rolling finally!
Old 02-04-2023, 02:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinWest View Post
I have a target of no later than March 2027 (my 50th birthday) so I’m not in a rush, I’d just like to get the ball rolling finally!
That's a reasonable goal, but every year after you hit 50 is a slow decline. When you get in to your 60's, flipping upside down to stick your head under the dash or removing four tight spinners with a lead hammer starts to take its toll. If you can make the deal work, get the car sooner rather than later.
DrivinWest and Gpfarrell like this.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's a reasonable goal, but every year after you hit 50 is a slow decline. When you get in to your 60's, flipping upside down to stick your head under the dash or removing four tight spinners with a lead hammer starts to take its toll. If you can make the deal work, get the car sooner rather than later.
All of this is true.

Time does not treat us all equally.

In additon that's a lot of years of lost adventures
and memories. Some of which can not be acquired
any other way.
DrivinWest likes this.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The 289 MK II is not set up for the coyote. While the footboxes have been enlarged to accommodate taller people, the MK III can be ordered to fit the engine.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-04-2023, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
The 289 MK II is not set up for the coyote. While the footboxes have been enlarged to accommodate taller people, the MK III can be ordered to fit the engine.
Copy that. Thanks! Honestly, the more I learn about the SPF MKII and the authenticity of the chassis, the more it seems like a Windsor block is the right choice for that car.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique427 View Post
All of this is true.

Time does not treat us all equally.

In additon that's a lot of years of lost adventures
and memories. Some of which can not be acquired
any other way.
Very good points. The future is not guaranteed. Fortunately, I do have something in the garage to tide me over!
Attached Images

Gpfarrell likes this.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinWest View Post
Very good points. The future is not guaranteed. Fortunately, I do have something in the garage to tide me over!
Uh-huh, but if you end up getting a small block you'll always wish you had an FE.
Grubby likes this.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Uh-huh, but if you end up getting a small block you'll always wish you had an FE.
Yup. Buy once cry once.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I may actually prefer the 289 cars. While a visit to the Contemporary Classics factory in the 1980s is what made me fall in love with Cobras to begin with (a 427 S/C replica specifically) the race history of the USRRC/FIA cars and the appreciation of lightweight cars has evolved my thinking over time.

I have gone down a rabbit hole today on Ross Henry and the Superformance 289 cars. WOW. I did not appreciate just how close the MKII chassis is to the original cars. It make me want to toss the Coyote idea and replicate CSX2431 which is just a few miles from me. Here’s a few pics from last weekend:
Attached Images

Buzz, xb-60, 1795 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by DrivinWest; 02-04-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Old 02-04-2023, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

You really cannot go wrong with the SPF Mark II. It is a pleasure to drive and handles real well. It's no slouch with a Windsor block. Ross is great to work with and designed a fantastic car.

When I was at the museum last summer I got an up close and personal look at those cars. Was able to get inside the ropes and take some measurements and pictures so that I could make some adjustments on my race car. It was pretty cool to be able to open the hood on a couple.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 02-04-2023 at 06:31 PM..
Old 02-04-2023, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2102, Keith Craft 427W
Not Ranked     

One of the nicest built ERA 289 FIAs is on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/era-289-fia/

Cheers
Old 02-04-2023, 09:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

If you would like (DrivinWest) I can get you in touch with a friend of mine in Boulder, that owns a Superformance, also he's a Volunteer @Shelby American Museum there. See if you can fit in MKIII. Get me a contact # though a PM, and I'll set this up. Berine is Good People, you'll get along great. Cheers Tom.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk II 289
Not Ranked     

I’m a huge Coyote fan, but the Mark II won me over. We’re living in an era where horsepower is cheap by flavor is quickly disappearing. If you just want to go fast, buy a new Corvette. I’m guessing you’re here because there’s more to life than speed. My 302-based 331-stroker makes 396hp (that’s not far off Coyote territory) and looks surprisingly like a 1963 289. The Mark II’s are limited on tire size… 205/70/15 is all you’re going to get, so more hp would just go up in smoke. Mine isn’t quite done, but I think it would be a handful with 300 hp… which is already 30 more than the originals. Mine is about 125 hp more… that’s nearly 50% more… I don’t think it will lack for power.

I’m sure a chrome plated FE will impress more adolescents (well, not really… they know any number of modern power plants can out-muscle even or beloved big blocks) but I think the flavor of a small block is going to be really sweet.
Attached Images

JohnnyRay likes this.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
If you would like (DrivinWest) I can get you in touch with a friend of mine in Boulder, that owns a Superformance, also he's a Volunteer @Shelby American Museum there. See if you can fit in MKIII. Get me a contact # though a PM, and I'll set this up. Berine is Good People, you'll get along great. Cheers Tom.
I’ll take you up on that! Thanks! PM incoming.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
I’m a huge Coyote fan, but the Mark II won me over. We’re living in an era where horsepower is cheap by flavor is quickly disappearing. If you just want to go fast, buy a new Corvette. I’m guessing you’re here because there’s more to life than speed. My 302-based 331-stroker makes 396hp (that’s not far off Coyote territory) and looks surprisingly like a 1963 289. The Mark II’s are limited on tire size… 205/70/15 is all you’re going to get, so more hp would just go up in smoke. Mine isn’t quite done, but I think it would be a handful with 300 hp… which is already 30 more than the originals. Mine is about 125 hp more… that’s nearly 50% more… I don’t think it will lack for power.

I’m sure a chrome plated FE will impress more adolescents (well, not really… they know any number of modern power plants can out-muscle even or beloved big blocks) but I think the flavor of a small block is going to be really sweet.
I like your perspective. It reminded me of an article in Road and Track a few years ago:

The Search for the Greatest Sports Car of All Time

Spoiler: The 289 Cobra wins. The fact that Superformance makes such an authentic replica of the 289 with transverse leafs, round tube chassis, etc. is so cool—and as mentioned above, something I did not know. It’s compelling.
Gpfarrell likes this.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk II 289
Not Ranked     

That was a great article… and part of what refocused my enthusiasm. One of my all time favorite cars was a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST. One of the magazines in Europe described those as “like a puppy. But with a turbo.” It was exceedingly engaging. I’d giggle driving it. Not the most G’s, or fastest, or flashiest… but the driving experience was amazing. That R&T article you referenced was much more about the driving experience than 0-60 or lap times. I got to thinking of how neat it would be if you could still buy a Cobra without the “Shelby” premium… original, small block, skinny-tired version where it all began. Cue the Mark II!!!
Old 02-06-2023, 10:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Ok Aaron, spoke with Bernie, he's on the road (Business) soon as he gets home, he will contact you, the Cobras in winter storage, but can get to it, if you need anything else just ask. Cheers Tom.
DrivinWest likes this.