Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2023, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396ci 460hp SPF #1072-Titanium
Not Ranked     
Default Tires

Is there still a time limit for tires . Was it 10yrs?
Dennis, SPF #1072
Old 02-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

It's 5 to 7 years depending on who you listen to. There are many "Cobras" running around on aged-out tires that are unsafe because "they still have a lot of tread".

You will be amazed at the difference in fresh tires or changing out BFG TAs for even lower end tires. The current choice in lower priced tires are Mickey Thompson S/T or Cooper Cobras (same carcass and manufacturer, just different tread patterns.)
ACHiPo likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-24-2023, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Both of those tires are pretty hard and not very sticky for a Cobra. Coopers are 440 tread wear. Like rocks! I am going to bet my 20 year old Michelin Pilots with 220 wear are going to hook up better than new Cooper rocks. I would say they are in the 300 vs 220 when new. All depends on the condition of the tire. I have seen 4 year old tires cracking in AZ. All depends on the quality and the rubber they are using.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Neutral     

red,

If you're still betting your a$$ on your 20 year old tires, at least read this: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/aut...need-new-tires

If you're still using those on the street I hope you don't take out anyone else when they let go.

Tires continue to chemically age internally (read: delaminate) through their entire lifetime after initial vulcanization when they are produced. They look fine on the outside until enough internal cord to rubber adhesion is lost for them to self destruct.

Just sayin'

Tom
eschaider, Sargie, Sawdust and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Tom Wells; 02-24-2023 at 04:48 AM..
Old 02-24-2023, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I am going with the Vitour Galaxy tires on my ERA build. They are available in the typical 15" sizes and get really good reviews (mostly in Europe).

After some road miles this Summer, I can give an opinion.

John
Gpfarrell likes this.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I would ask Paul Walker about that. Oh, wait. You can't.
Gpfarrell likes this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 02-24-2023, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I did some work for a tire company and they said............

Regular street tires 10 years (std street, I think in general dangerous for Cobras)
Cobra Tires (race) 5-6 years (AKA Billboards, Dunlop and Avon's)

Difference being additive packages for heat cycles.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 02-24-2023 at 02:24 PM..
Old 02-24-2023, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

I replaced a set of 8 yr old Avon tires that were barely used. Was concerned about a failure as others have noted. Not worth the risk to me for a grand or 2 every 5-7 years. Hoses & belts dry out too.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Snake View Post
Is there still a time limit for tires . Was it 10yrs?
Most will tell you 7 years, for me, I generally do not wait that long. My life is worth more than replacing them sooner, then later.

Bill S.

PS: Track type tires, depending on use, once a year, or once every race, again, better safe than sorry.
eschaider and Sawdust like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-26-2023, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Got me thinking. I purchased my PS2 back in Feb 2015. So it is time. Not much of a selection for the 17" tires. I am currently running the 335's on the rear which look good and are pricey. Does anyone have pics of their SPF with 315's on the rear? Nitto and a couple others make the 315's.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

I am in the same boat looking for tires. Mich PSS are the only 335 option and not worth the price if you ask me. I run them on my Maserati and have not been impressed. Traction is ok and they wear out fast. 315 look like are only option and there are not many.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
I did some work for a tire company and they said............

Regular street tires 10 years (std street, I think in general dangerous for Cobras)
Cobra Tires (race) 5-6 years (AKA Billboards, Dunlop and Avon's)

Difference being additive packages for heat cycles.
I kinda wish my tires would last that long. I use them up long before they age out.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 02-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
I kinda wish my tires would last that long. I use them up long before they age out.
Well, that way you get you money's worth! Better to wear 'em out than let them age out!
bobcowan and Joey.S like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-26-2023, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Grubby, I love my Vitours. Out of a set of four, one tire needed 1/2 oz.
Grubby likes this.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvettx2 View Post
Both of those tires are pretty hard and not very sticky for a Cobra. Coopers are 440 tread wear. Like rocks! I am going to bet my 20 year old Michelin Pilots with 220 wear are going to hook up better than new Cooper rocks. I would say they are in the 300 vs 220 when new. All depends on the condition of the tire. I have seen 4 year old tires cracking in AZ. All depends on the quality and the rubber they are using.
I was thinking of using the Michelin pilot sport all season 4’s on mine because we are limited with tyre options in the UK let alone wide tyres. Also we get a lot more inclement weather than most of you lucky people.

I’m having to go with 17’s because the available and cost effective 15” options do not have a high enough speed rating to pass our new registration check, plus I’ve been told can get a bit of unsettling rear end wiggle on the higher profile tyres with high Hp cars?
I have gone a little ott with power so am after the best grip I can get.

I was toying with using 315/35/17 rears for as much tyre contact as possible - which the all seasons come in. However they have a treadwear of 540 which is pretty high. However it performs extremely close to the pilot sport 4S in multiple tests, which has a 300 treadwear. I was surprised by the treadwear rating as normally I’d associate that with a highway hockey puck that wouldn’t perform well.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr_garner View Post
...I’m having to go with 17’s because the available and cost effective 15” options do not have a high enough speed rating to pass our new registration check, plus I’ve been told can get a bit of unsettling rear end wiggle on the higher profile tyres with high Hp cars? ...
A tall side wall, with a wide footprint, and a soft rubber compound will give the best grip for a high HP car.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I decided to stick with the Michelin PS2 335 rear and the 275 fronts. There's a lot riding on my tires..
Old 03-01-2023, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
A tall side wall, with a wide footprint, and a soft rubber compound will give the best grip for a high HP car.
The trade off is how tall you go vs what you want to use the car for. A 295/50 for example has a large sidewall and will give you flex/lean under cornering and hard acceleration.
The 315/35 will corner and handle better but be harsher ride and could potentially spin more due to less give in the tyre to absorb the load.

Is why drag radials don’t work for a proper street car. There’s always a trade off.
Then there’s price too which unfortunately does play a factor.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr_garner View Post
The trade off is how tall you go vs what you want to use the car for. A 295/50 for example has a large sidewall and will give you flex/lean under cornering and hard acceleration.
The 315/35 will corner and handle better but be harsher ride and could potentially spin more due to less give in the tyre to absorb the load.

Is why drag radials don’t work for a proper street car. There’s always a trade off.
Then there’s price too which unfortunately does play a factor.

You are right about cornering. I should have been more specific.

My commentary was only as applies to straight line acceleration. Lower profiles will typically improve cornering but at the expense of straight line acceleration and vice versa.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

This reminds me about Safety Eq. in racing, years ago, my buddy that sells this stuff, asked me what are you worth???? Not just to family & Friends, but your body?? Can't continue to race if you're broken. I've always kept that in the back of my mind, better to have it, and not need it, well you know the rest 10years ago, in a vintage race a buddy (Even though he drove a 356 Porsche) has a fuel line come off, caught the back of the car on fire, the turn workers had used their fire bottles, and it was still burning, 3-of us, jumped out of our cars, put out what was still on fire, the driver looked at us, and said you just saved my car !!! We said, you would have done the same We got close enough to get a few burns on our fire suits. Greg, (The Porsche driver) brought us all new suits, as he said, MUCH CHEAPER than building a another 356!!! Safety first Boys, Cheers Tom.
DealsGapCobra and MaSnaka like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: