Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default QA1 coil overs vs original SPF Bilsteins

Anyone have any experience with QA1 double adjustment coil overs on a newer Superformance?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Not on a Superformance but I ran them on the front of my NAF 289. Replaced an old set of Aldans. The QA-1 is a great shock that has numerous adjustments that can be setup for street or track. The adjustments really help to tune the suspension for varing track or road and ride/handling. FWIW
Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

I have QA1 adjustables on all 4 corners mated to Carrera progressive rate springs. They are fantastic. You can also mount them upside down to save on unsprung weight if you're that anal about such things.
Cheers!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ray: How do you get this mileage, are you running the OEM SU's?

Fun cars!

'67 Austin Cooper S Concours 42mpg

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 01-27-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Shocks

My friend has just finished his car with QA1 Shocks and he is very happy with them, this is on a NZ Almac cobra kit and for road use!
I wanted Koni double adjustables race shocks, which are the model just under their top of the range four way race shock, I was talked out of that for a custom built set of Bilsteins, downside they arent adjustable, and have to be sent back to the workshop and dismantled, but are adjustable.

From my experience with the QA1, Koni etc all the multiple external adjustments are okay for fine tuning but if they are valved correctly for the spring you are using, they should be good.

From what I can gather QA1 arent really considered amongst the race boys as a race shock, and some reports they perform differently after hard use compared to a more expensive race shock. For that matter Bilsteins, Konis are down the food chain as well, as shocks like Penske etc are common in the race game!

You get what you pay for, a set of QA1's could have been purchased for one of my custom Bilsteins.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the feedback.
I'm looking to purchase a used SPF where they replaced the original Bilstein with QA1 double adjustment shocks..

I just want to make sure that is a good think and that I will not want to go back to the original shocks later on. ( I will do mostly street driving)
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SPF Bilsteins

Why did they replace the original Bilsteins?

If the car is nicely built detailed etc, at least if your not happy with bolt in items, they are easily changed later with a money injection!!!

QA1 shocks have a nice finish and I think a big 5/8" hard chromed shaft, they would be excellent for road use and club days at the race track!

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 01-27-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Why did they replace the original Bilsteins?

If the car is nicely built detailed etc, at least if your not happy with bolt in items, they are easily changed later with a money injection!!!

QA1 shocks have a nice finish and I think a big 5/8" hard chromed shaft, they would be excellent for road use and club days at the race track!
Not why they replaced the original Bilsteins. I just wanted to make sure the QA1's were not a downgrade for the Bilsteins.

Sounds like the QA1's are at least equal to the original Bilsteins.

Thanks for your feedback.
Dan
Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SPF Bilsteins

The QA1 shocks are a downgrade from a Bilstein or a Koni, they are approx 1/4 the price of a Bilstein or a fifth of the price of a Koni, but it all depends on what model Bilsteins were on the car!

I have seen posted how some people have taken their Bilsteins off and replaced them with QA1 shocks and reckon they give a better performance, I find that questionable that the Bilstein or whatever may not have been setup for the car or were stuffed.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Ray: How do you get this mileage, are you running the OEM SU's?

Fun cars!

'67 Austin Cooper S Concours 42mpg
Rick, I have to admit that is a bit optimistic. I do have custom jetted SUs from Joe Curto, and add lead substitute every tankful. It could be my speedo gear? I show 70mph when other classic minis next to me at last year's Spring Fling said they were only doing 65. So that would mean I rack more miles to the tankful...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Some were having problems with the Blisteens I believe breaking not sure!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I originally had the Koni's top line shocks on my Cobra when I had it and I replaced them with the 12 way adjustable QA-1s and was very happy. Much easier to adjust and never a problem when driving hard or just cruising. I think that almost every person around here that had a Cobra back then put the QA-1s on them.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

The problems actually were with the early AVO shock absorbers not with the Bilstein's...and specifically related to only the bushings on the early AVO shocks, which over time, distorted, causing the actual shock failure. This should really be called a regular inspection issue, like so may othe things. Something to be watched for as a wear item on all cars and all shocks...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Yea, I still have the POS AVO's so the Bilstein's would be an upgrade and the QA-1's would be an upgrade-upgrade!! They're somewhere on that wish list....
Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

I have QA1's and find them to be very compliant and adjustable. The car sits lower as well
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

we have used QA1's with much success in many a kit-car street-rod, including a Ferris Buhler Ferrari. they are a nice product for the price. ---Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com