Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: X Everett Morrison, X SPF 140, X SPF1823, currently SPF2778
Not Ranked     
Default Roof Fit

What’s your experience with the soft top installed and driving at 65 – 70 mph?

I had both the old vinyl style and the newer cloth. The cloth fit much better (tighter less air leakage), but I still had a problem at the front corners where the roof met the windshield and side window. The flap which overhangs the side window caught a lot of air. At speed the flap would pull outward and open a gap at the window corner and cause even more drag and acted like an air scoop (air funneled into the car). I was afraid the drag would break something or pull the roof off the car.

I sold my SPF a couple of years ago, but I’m considering another purchase. If I do purchase another, I want to drive occasionally even in cold weather, so I must have a functional roof. I don’t like the hard top. I realize the old design has limitations and I’m not expecting to stay dry when it rains, but I don’t want to loose a top while driving or worry about breaking a windshield because the extra drag caused by the roof.

Maybe I had a poor fitting roof or the roof shaped changed over the SPF build years and putting a new style roof on an old model wasn’t a good idea. I did measure from the top tip of the windshield to the door corner and it was the correct length.

What are your experiences?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

My SPF has the older style convertible top (vinyl 2 bow), which I use (when needed) spring/summer/early fall. I install my hardtop for late fall/winter driving.

I don't like to run higher than 55mph with the convertible top on, unless I have the side curtains installed. With the top up and no side curtains installed (at speed), you get a lot of air pressure inside which puts strain on the windshield. My side curtains have velcro that attaches to the inside of the convertible top, making for a pretty good seal along the top edge of the side curtains.

The newer canvas 3 bow tops have a rear window which can be opened with a zipper, allowing air to exit the cabin throught the back. I am sure that this would alleviate the problem on the earlier cars.

I know that a lot of owners have upgraded their earlier cars to the newer style convertible top. When my top begins to wear, I will upgrade also.

Bottom line.... I won't drive 65-70 with my (early) soft top unless the side curtains are on. If the weather is going to be bad and I will be doing a lot of driving, I just install the hardtop. Not 100% dry, but almost!!!

Maybe someone with the newer style top can jump in with their experiences...
Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Tom,

I've driven my car thousands of miles with the top up and a lot of it at highway speeds. The owner's manual does caution against driving over maybe 60 or 70 MPH (can't recall exactly) but whatever the maximum speed is, I know I've exceeded it. The faster you go, the noisier and breezier it gets, and I don't doubt there's a point at which you would damage the top. Also, I would think prolonged high speed driving would fatigue the material faster, possibly causing it to tear or pull out the seams. I'd say up to about 60 MPH or so it's reasonably comfortable; much beyond that there's just too much commotion inside the car to be worthwhile going that fast.

You're right: the flaps over the side curtains do pull out and funnel more air into the car at higher speeds. On the other hand, with the heater on and a winter coat, I'm pretty cozy in my car with temps down into the 30's. I think the worst air leak is the area where the body, door, rear of the side curtain and top all come together near your left shoulder.

I used some foam garage door weatherstripping to seal the area between the frame of the the side curtains and the top of the door/dashboard, which I think does a great job of keeping out wind and water, although plenty of both do get in elsewhere. I can email you a photo if you like.

Hope this helps,

Lowell
Old 10-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKing
What are your experiences?
Thanks,
Tom
Is that black thing in that big bag a top???

WOW. Maybe some year I'll put it on the "roadster".

The Owners Manual says run it with 1 window installed, preferrebly both windows. No speeds above 75 MPH with soft top.

I take rides with temps below freezing, but short rides only with gloves, stocking hat, scarf, heavy jacket, heat on .... and no top.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

When not in use, I store my side curtains in the bag with the flaps facing each other. This does 2 things.... keeps the plastic windows from rubbing against each other, and keeps the flaps reasonably straight while in the trunk. When I install the side curtains, especially in the cold, the flaps stay down. Well... mostly down, anyways
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 10-14-2006, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: X Everett Morrison, X SPF 140, X SPF1823, currently SPF2778
Not Ranked     

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Also for your information - the newer style top has a lower profile and with the 3rd bow a lot of buffeting is reduced. The new style does not have velcro attachment under the side flap on top to attach to the side windows. Probably the addition of velcro would reduce some of the flaps tendency to pull out.

I'm trying to justify spending a lot money for a fair weather car. If I can make it drivebable in the cold, it makes more sense.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

The old style soft top was functional last winter for me on my old SB SPF517, but it sure looked ugly. My curent SPF has the same old style, still ugly.

Does anyone have a pic of the new style installed? Maybe the lower profile looks better...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg