Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Spinner Tool Use on SPF

Do any of you guys use the spinner "socket" from Finish Line on your SPF's? I have not received my car yet, but I received a note that specifically said not to use this tool to tighten the spinners.

What are your thoughts and how do you know how tight is enough? It just says to hit them until they don't turn any more. Well, how hard do you hit? if they don't turn any more, and you hit harder, it will turn a little more. . . I can see myself breaking the spinners. . .
Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I tighten mine by hand, then ONE sound whack with the hammer to secure the spinner, one eighth to one quarter turn. Fasten the safety wire.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

I have never used a spinner socket. Dead Blow or Lead hammer

I tighten the spinner by hand then use a dead blow hammer and rotate the wheel and give each ear a good firm wack of the hammer, go twice around on each ear is more then enough, you can hear a pitch change when tight. Then safety wire !!

Tony

Last edited by Tony Aprile; 10-27-2006 at 10:09 AM..
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

I used a copper faced hammer on my knock-offs after going as tight as possible hand tightening.
Like Tony Aprile said once they are snugged up you can "feel" after a couple of blows with the soft faced hammer whether or not you need to give it a couple more whacks or not.
Just use good judgement, the rotation of the spinner wil pretty much tell you when to stop
Old 10-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Like oil filters and soda bottle tops they are much harder to get off. Don't overtighten them, the pins take the torque load.

Bob
Old 10-26-2006, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I have the tool and use it to TAKE OFF the spinners, and the hammer to put them on. seems to work well. seems that taking them off is usually the hard part!

Buzz
Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzmobile
I have the tool and use it to TAKE OFF the spinners, and the hammer to put them on. seems to work well. seems that taking them off is usually the hard part!

Buzz

Is it worthwhile to have the tool for $250 to take them off? Also what are the pins? I got a note that they would be tightened to 80 foot-lbs. Are they the "studs" that would hold lug nuts on a normal car?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

My point was that the torque being applied to the wheels via the drive shafts or brakes is handled by the pins or studs or whatever, not by friction of the wheels to the hubs. That being the case, it is not necessary to tighten the spinners beyond reasonable amounts. For me that means snug plus a couple of firm hits with a lead hammer.

I always safety wire with a little slack in the wire. If the slack disappears (which it never has) I would re-tighten.

Bob
Old 10-27-2006, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Pins are males on the hubs. Wheels have female holes that slide over the pins. Much better than old splined hubs that were favored by English wire wheels of the past.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

yes, the pins are just "sleeves" that screw down on the normal studs the lug nuts go onto and you torque them to 80. As for is it worth it, can't answer that in a simple yes/no answer. I have had ears break off the spinners by taking them off...but I had defective spinners. But, the tool places the force on ALL the wings of the spinners at the same time with removal, so you can put more force to it while removing without breaking the wings. that is probably why they do not recommend using the to to put it on...you could way over tighten.

Buzz
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So is it worth having the tool or not bother?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The tool is an expensive paperweight. It has a design flaw that makes it ineffective. I'm debating if there is enough market to have a proper one produced...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimoes
So is it worth having the tool or not bother?
I would say NO, it's not worth the money. If the spinners are not overtightened when installing, you should not have a problem upon removal.

Last edited by Tony Aprile; 10-28-2006 at 11:04 AM..
Old 10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Smile Tool

Save your money, the tool is not necessary.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn
The tool is an expensive paperweight. It has a design flaw that makes it ineffective. I'm debating if there is enough market to have a proper one produced...

Cashburn,

Can you expand on it? How is the design no good?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Without going too deep on it... there is no provision to hold the tool against the spinner. It comes right off and is awkward to use in the nature it is intended.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

I bought mine used here on CC and have not personally used it. My local mechanic tried it without much success. He ended up using the lead hammer instead.

On the flip side, it is a beautiful piece of aluminum that I currently use as a paper weight on my desk. I always get the question from my
customers "what is it"?? So it does make a great topic of conversation.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default spinner removal tool

While there are many remedies to remove over tightened spinners, a little heat and /or this tool is the easiest on the parts and the owner. I have used the tool on one of mine (problems from prior owner)and found it well worth the money in terms of aggravation. I've also heated one to release it. I don't like heating the spinner to get it to expand and relax as I'm no metalurgist and don't under stand the consequences. This tool spreads the load onto all three ears and with a breaker bar inserted in the hole surely is better than beating the bejesus out of spinner ears, snapping an ear and then having a larger problem. If your idea is better, build it and they will come.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn
Any guesses how tight the torque on a spinner might be? 10 ft lbs? 20 ft lbs? 100 ft lbs? I have no clue. I always find myself thinking I need to give it one or two or three more taps with my lead hammer, wich I might add has worked great to date.

I could see the value in a proper removal tool with a coating of some sort to prevent marring. Then perform install with a torque value on clean parts with a slight grease coating. It could be a socket attachment which in turn could be used with a torque wrench.

A given torque could be assessed by removing new spinners from a few new SPF if one doesn't already exist.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default spinners

These spinners are designer to be wacked with a lead hammer. They will get marred and flattened etc. I'm not sure what coating would stop it, but there must be something. Do not grease the threads, instead clean both the hub and the spinner grooves and put "no seize' or "anti seize" on both parts. Graese will attract a certain amount of contaminents and add to the problem. A tool that fits with a torque wrench would be great to install, but usless to take off with (can't use a torque wrench for off). But by all means safety wire the spinners...I've had one come off 30 years ago and it was only luck that saved the car.