Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF# 2560
Not Ranked     
Default SPF for Auto-cross (what mods)?

Hi,

I have been auto-crossing for about 5 years, the last 3 in a Corvette ZO6. Well I decided to get a real car (on order) and wanted to see what mods you have done for Auto-cross. I plan on adding DA shocks, Hoosiers A6's and increase the spring rates. What spring rates are you running? Have any of you added a bump steer kit or power steering? What other mods have you made?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #095, w/ 1966 428
Not Ranked     

Definitely change the shocks right away. When you get the your new car contact me immediatly because I want to buy your Bilsteins.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What shocks are you running on your car right now? I should be putting my shocks on in January.

Ken
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Ken, I think Tom may have been jesting with you. The Bilsteins are pretty good shocks and I would try them first prior to swapping them out. Until you have tried them HOW do you know that any other ones will be better than what you have...you can't. You will at least have something to compare with.Then you can change them and see if it works any better. Every car is different and the dynamics from one model to the other don't give any transferable data.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken,
I was joking......but I have AVOs and would love to buy some Bilstein take-offs if anyone is listening. If you going to a track setup I would be happy to buy your old stuff in January, you don't want to cludder up your garage with junky Bilsteins laying around!
Good luck with the new car. Post a picture when I arrives. What motor ya got?
Tom
Old 11-14-2006, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know the problem with shocks, I was dealing with set up on my Penski 8100's for two years on my Vette. With what I have been running they have had to be adjusted depending on the surface. I am running with a lot of prepaired cars. I am also working with some FFR drivers who have alot of set up exp. I do want to go to the DA shocks for adjustment. It is alot easier to adjust for entry, mid and corner exit. I will be going to heavier springs and I am trying to find the right spring rates. I am just starting cold on a SPF. I can't wait to try it.

Ken
Old 11-14-2006, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

I know Bilstein makes a good shock, just need the adjustment. I am going with a Roush 402 SR with the twisted wedge cam (good low end). I am also going with the Mass-flo fuel injection set up. I hope to get the car next month. Got the SPF factory race roll bar opt. Titanium with Indigo blue strips.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken,
It sounds real nice. Let me know how the fuel injection works out. Are you going to tag you car or just event it?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you wanted to sack the Corvette, Giggle, then we could make you a super bad cobra.

Sacking the Vette is the fun part
Old 11-15-2006, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Ken -
I don't have a SPF, but I have done some autocross in my Cobra replica. One of my first lessons was oil management in a Windsor block Ford. After the engine rebuild I added an Accusump and the problem was solved. Don't learn the hard way like me. .... My suspension is not like a SPF and I was not a particularly good autocrosser, so I won't volunteer any suspension advice.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Tom,

I have a set of Bilsteins in a box with the original springs, less than 500 miles of road travel.

I would need to ship to the US, but might work out for you. Let me know

Cameron
Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The guy I bought my SPF from had autox'd and road raced it quite a few times from the sounds of it. Besides a WHOLE LOT of suspension adjustments, he added a few other mods to make the cobra work better for autocross and road racing.

- Tilton 7.25 Cerametallic twin disc clutch which allows slippage much more than a normal race clutch.
- Quartermaster 153T flywheel, lightened to 8.2 lbs/3.72 kgs allowing revs to come quickly and are there when you want them.
- Tilton hydraulic throwout bearing
- Pro 5.0 shifter (MUCH better than stock for quick shift changes)
- Torsen T-2 Traction Differential
- Replaced ALL suspension bushings with Spherical Bearings
- Blistein adjustable coil overs with better springs.
- rubber/front: 17x9.5 275/40ZR17 G-Force KD
- rubber/rear: 17x11315/35ZR17 G-Force KD
- custom built 4 point full roll bar
- ATL 17gallon fuel cell (more for road racing)
- Custom built EFI induction system controlled by a MegaSquirt ECU

These changes make the car super sharp in cornering and exit, but do not take away TOO much of the comfortable ride (its no caddy). I have noticed little to no bumpsteer as well. He mapped the entire SPF suspension geometry in CAD and worked constantly on configuring it. All of these changes allow much more nimble control and even with an all aluminum 427W from Keith Craft, allows the car to run around pylons well (according to previous owner). I have not tried it yet as I have spent this whole time trying to get used to the car. Another SPF owner that just moved from Ohio recently to my neck of the woods went to an Autocross this weekend with me to take a look. I think he has convinced me to get out there and run it around the course. Basically boiled down to "what are these cars for anyway?"

James

Last edited by aldersonjames20; 11-15-2006 at 08:25 AM..
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,
The guy I bought my SPF performed these mods right before I bought the car:
-ruined the motor
-destroyed the transmission
-wore out the suspension
-tore the rear diff loose
-cracked the body in three places
-cut a hole in the right fender
-ripped all the ball joint boots.
-destroyed the top and tonue cover
-put many incorrect parts on the car
-mangled all linkages
-mess up the wiring
-plus another 100 great mods.
Anyway it sounds like you got a better deal. I've now had my car repainted, a new FE, and...... well, new everything. It will be mint soon, and better than new in some ways. I completely dismantled the car and I had fun, but it still burns me a bit that the guy said the car was perfect. (I bought it from pictures) very old pictures.

The lesson: Never buy a car from Billy Gilmore.