Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     
Question SPF E-Brake upgrade install?

I just acquired a NIB E-Brake upgrade for my SPF. My original setup doesn't really work. It, however, did not include any instructions whatsoever. The dealer I got it from was nice enough to put a new car up on a lift for me to scrutinize how it's installed but that was 2 weeks ago, and I did not have a camera with me It's the model that installs on the driveshaft.

So, maybe someone here has pics or documented procedure on the installation? Thanks in advance for all responses.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray

I have all the directions that you would need, PM me and I will get it copied and sent to you.

Fred
SP 158
Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hamilton
Ray

I have all the directions that you would need, PM me and I will get it copied and sent to you.

Fred
SP 158
Fred I also sent you a PM, would appreciate a copy as well if possible. THANKS.
Don SP1415
Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What a guy this Fred.

Thanks a zillion!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Ray:
If I lived where you live I would have Nick at Classic Concepts do it. Just my $0.02 worth.

Bob
Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, that's the first thing I thought of, as I know he installed the upgrade on SPF 517, my first SPF. but do you know how hard it is to get into Nick's schedule? It's OK, I can do it and have the time, maybe save some $. I have a whole list anyway to do...intake gasket, steel braided brake lines, accusump, etc., etc.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-07-2006, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Before upgrading your parking brake....someone out there please post the most current information about the driveshaft bolts that should be changed when making this modification. I don't know if the info I have is the most current info....but it's very important to do !!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas
Before upgrading your parking brake....someone out there please post the most current information about the driveshaft bolts that should be changed when making this modification. I don't know if the info I have is the most current info....but it's very important to do !!!!
Whats this???? Another upgrade to the upgrade?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Ray, there was a bunch of stuff discussed on SCOF regarding this. Something to do with using the stock bolts. The upgraded parking brake mechanism is essentially a "disc brake" inserted at the driveshaft. This acts as a spacer of sorts, thus using the stock bolts don't provide enough grab on the threaded section. Also, the shoulders on the stock bolts are apparently configured in such a manner that they can work themselves loose, even with liberal doses of red loctite. One SPFer had the driveshaft literally explode through the floorboard, which luckily resulted in no injury but it did a number on the transmission tunnel and the DS safety loop that is already there. I'm doing a terrible job explaining the technical disfunctionalities with regard to using the wrong bolts. All I know is that the guru's on SCOF came up with a fix and shared it on that forum. I'm pretty sure it was also shared with SPF management.

I thought I had copied some of this into my home grown SPF manual, but I can't seem to locate it right now.

-Dean #747
Old 12-07-2006, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Yes, with the addition on the parking brake disk on the driveshaft, the standard bolts will be too short for proper thread engagement. Obviously right? - You've added a new plate here...
Also, you want the unthreaded section of the bolt to be almost the same length as the plates it goes thru (the original two flanges on the driveshaft and rear end AND the new disk plate) If the threaded section of the bolt extends too far into the hole, the bolts will loosen over time causing a catastrophic failure, not far from the "seat of your pants"...at speed....And the proper bolt strength is IMPARATIVE....built in washer...way stronger than grade 8...
Here is what I know....someone should verify this first....
"...drive shaft bolt part # N800594-S100 this is a Ford part number. These are the 12m x1.75 thread 12.9 hardness with a 12 point head, they come with a small amount of red lock tight on them." The bolts should be torqued to 83 ft lbs
Hope this helps.....
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, thanks. Fred sent me the destructions and I've re-formatted them into a PDF. I'll incorporate the bolts mod and post it here or at SCOF.

@##@&7 For a $500 mod, it should have included the bolts! Man...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg