Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     
Default Dealer Installed Options

Certain dealer installed options, such as the battery disconnect and fire extinguisher, are installed in different locations of the cockpit, depending on who installs them and owner preference. Where do you have these items located (and any other options you ordered), and what would you do different now that you have put some miles on your car?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I bought my car pre-owned and the battery cut-off is mounted to the inside of the driver's side rear wheelwell and is accessed from the trunk. Great for security reasons (remove the switch key and lock the trunk), but not so great if you get in trouble and need to cut-off power in an emergency.

A spare fire extinguisher is mounted on the bulkhead between the seats. A perfect, easy-to-access location. I say "spare" because the previous owner also installed a 5lb Halon system (tank is in the trunk with spray bars under the hood and in the footwells).

-Dean #747
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I have the same set-up as RB, works fine for me...
Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Ditto mine - same as above. Best place is where they are located. Fire extinguisher close ... battery cut-off switch hidden for theft protection.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2450, Roush 342RE
Not Ranked     
Default Cut-Off Switch

Perhaps this is overkill, however, I was thinking that I might not always go into the trunk every time I park. Therefore, in addition to the trunk switch, on my upcoming SPF, I added a hidden under-dash switch.

Ivan
Old 02-02-2007, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One car I saw at a show had a kill switch on the bulkhead between the seats (for emergency purposes), and a second kill switch in the trunk with a removeable key (for secuirty). Does this sound like paranoid overkill, or a good idea?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

same as redbarchetta on my old 156 ... nice thing about the trunk battery disconnect is you can then lock your trunk knowing it is juiceless vs someone trying to hotwire the car and having juice when the disconnect is readily accessible to anyone . of course, for double safety sake , you could have both - in the trunk as well-as archrms described . never enough security , but if a pro wants the car it will be 'gone in 60 seconds '. bill
Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

If you plan on racing the car get the kill switch behind the passenger seat, otherwise in the trunk. When I ordered my SPF, I had it put in the trunk. Also got roadster bumpers (front and back), stone guards over the radiator and oil cooler, rear tire upgrade, Yoko's, 3m clear guard over front of rear fenders (a must), fire extinguisher on the rear bulkhead, sunvisors.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I have two rollbars, the cutoff switch in the trunk, bumpers and a fuel cell. I installed a small Halon fire extinguisher by attaching it to one of the roll bar legs so it's sort of tucked back behind my seat. I can still reach it easily enough but it's more out of the way so I don't bump my arm on it and I can stuff more "stuff" between the seats on a trip. I agree with the above: If you race the car, an additional switch between the seats or some other readily accessible location would be a good idea, but I do like the switch in the trunk for security. One caveat: On one occasion, I did have something shift in the trunk while I was driving and shut off the power.

I also had the protective film installed on the rear fenders and, if I had it to do over, would probably do the same treatment to the front of the car. Too late now, though, with stone chips here and there...

Lowell
Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does the protective film on the front end alter the way the paint looks? Its a high visibility area, and I would hate to see a difference between the protected and unprotected areas. Will the color of the car affect the "invisibility" of the film, as my car is black.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For those of you with fire extinguishers, I have seen them mounted between the seats (on the bulkhead behind the seats) and on the supports between the tunnel and dash (under the dash). Is one location any better than the other?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

The battery disconnect is located behind the driver seat in my car. I never use it other than when I work on wires.

When you go through tech inspection for the drag strip they look on the back of the car for the battery cut off. To my understanding the rear of car location is used when the battery has been moved from the stock location. I get by in tech after telling them the battery is still in the stock location in the trunk.

It wouldn't be very difficult to cleverly design a battery cut off inclusive of bumper hardware while using the existing rear bumper body holes.