Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Tommy
  • 3 Post By Tommy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2023, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Manifold and hood clearance help

Hi All,
Novice newbie here with another question…
I’ve decided to go with the ford racing long block and dress myself. It uses the M-6010-boss35195 block. The deck height on this block is 9.5 and plan on running a 750 normally aspirated carb. Tom from ford racing recommends the Victor junior for best performance but wasn’t sure about hood clearance.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this set up will work for the SF MKIII in terms of hood clearance? Got a call into SF but still waiting to hear from them.

Thanks loads and I hope my question and ignorance isn’t too stupid and apparent.

David
Old 04-27-2023, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

David, I can't answer your specific question but I do have some things for you to consider. When someone "recommends the Victor junior for best performance," what kind of performance are you expecting? Do you plan to do track day events with your car? Is it just for cruising on public streets? Are you a drag racing enthusiast? . . . This matters because a Victor Jr manifold is optimized for operation above 3500 RPM. That's great for track use where peak horsepower matters, but not very good for street use where torque and responsiveness are what matters to most drivers.

It's been my experience that many engine builders want to sell cars with big peak horsepower numbers because it sounds impressive and helps bring in more customers. But those engines are not as much fun to live with in a street car. So, when deciding what components will best fit under the hood of your car, don't let your desire to own a big HP number make the task more difficult than it has to be. Let the engine builder know how you want to use the car and you may find that a low rise, dual plane intake manifold is the best overall solution. IMHO.
Blue66, eschaider, Sawdust and 2 others like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-27-2023, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the great info, Tom is the guru at Ford racing, since it’s a long block, ford racing did the build. Maybe I miss understood Tom.
I’m looking for a very friendly street drivable car with maybe a little auto cross at the local parking lot course on a weekend, so with that said possibly an air gap? I’m still reading, researching, learning and having fun with this new hobby.
Thanks loads for the advice
Ford says the LB is set up to run best between 3000 and 5600 rpm. The cam they use is probably a little aggressive for my needs but I don’t want to be changing things until it try them, it’s got 242/248 deg at 0.05” with 0.594/618 lift. Scat

Cheers

David
Old 04-27-2023, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2512 427W TKO 600/ NW Exotics 351 Cleveland/Tremec 3550-Sold
Not Ranked     

What size motor? You won't go wrong with a Performer RPM Air Gap manifold over a Victor Jr., especially in that RPM range. Bottom end is better and it gives up nothing in the top end.

I think the Air Gap and Victor Jr. are the same height at the carb mounting flange.

The Air Gap will fit under the hood with the supplied air cleaner baseplate if you're using the short air filter and the oval Cobra air cleaner.

The Air Gap will fit under the hood with the 2.5" tall K&N air filter and the oval Cobra air cleaner, but I did have to fab a flat air cleaner base plate to move the air cleaner assembly forward to fit. My motor was not happy at all when I tried using the short filter on the dyno.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

I went with the Victor Jr. and Sniper Stealth EFI and am super happy I did. it is the same height as the Air Gap and performance is awesome, plenty of low end power, no hesitation and 20 to 30 more HP at higher RPMs.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Randall at RT told me to stick with the vic Jr on my 427r.

He said the higher flow of the motor would need it even at lower rpms.

Mine clears the hood, but I had to run an air cleaner with more clearance.
I got one of the K&N units that sits on a metal riser, and used a rubber mallet to beat the riser nearly flat.

Acton sells a drop base for that size which makes it easy if you don't feel like an afternoon of careful hammering (and theirs has another 1/4-1/2" clearance)
Old 04-28-2023, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX48xx from South Africa
Not Ranked     

I like the looks of the super vic jr.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2023, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

Here is the Holly Stealth EFI on the Vic Jr, the cool thing is all the EFI wiring was able to be hidden under the manifold runners. Used the very low profile '67 corvette bottom and a Holman Moody top.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2023, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Big intakes and little air cleaners never made sense to me.
Blue66, Alfa02 and Gpfarrell like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-29-2023, 11:48 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Big intakes and little air cleaners never made sense to me.
The little "Stellings and Hellings" type air cleaners typically take about 30-50 HP compared to a regular air cleaner.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-01-2023, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I have a 514 with the Blue Thunder, 950CFM and about 3/4" of spacers and heat shields stuffed under the hood. I have maybe 1/2" of clearance.