Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
View Poll Results: What do you have ?
Carbureted Cobra 26 68.42%
Fuel Injected Cobra 11 28.95%
"Other"? 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold it!!
Not Ranked     
Default Carburetor or Fuel Injected Cobra?

I was just wondering what the "ratio" was of carbureted vs. fuel injected cars was here with the Superformance cars. I would guess the benefit would be a lot easier startup and running smoother?

www.theloanfinder.info
Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

When i did my Side Oiler,i had the $ for FI.I even went as far as getting the 10 degree Webber manifold.For some odd reason,it was then that i started doing my home work.
The $4000.00 i would spend would be for "wow factor" and improved midrange & driveability.I passed.I went with a Braswell carb and never looked back.
Although,8 stacks does look pretty B itchin'
Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF# 2560
Not Ranked     

My Superformance is in the process of getting the motor and tranny put in right now. I will be autocrossing the car here in Sacramento and sometimes in Reno. I don't want to have to worry about changing the jets depending on where I run. I am going with the Mass-Flo system, it keeps the vintage look and has better drivability. I am hoping it should be ready in about a week.

Ken
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm4187
My Superformance is in the process of getting the motor and tranny put in right now. I will be autocrossing the car here in Sacramento and sometimes in Reno. I don't want to have to worry about changing the jets depending on where I run. I am going with the Mass-Flo system, it keeps the vintage look and has better drivability. I am hoping it should be ready in about a week.

Ken
Ken,
Thanks for the info....please post a picture. I am curious to what the Mass Flo looks like

www.theloanfinder.info
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Ken.. not to be off topic, but in a earlier post you were getting 17" wheels for your SPF. did you get them and what offsets and tire sizes did you go with. thinking about 17" myself. would love pic's if possible

Mel
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

While not a Superformance I am just wrapping up the installation of a Mass-Flo on the 428FE in my ERA. My reason for doing the conversion is similar to Ken's. I found that when I change altitudes significantly the engine, while just druising around, ran fine but if I wanted to put my foot in it I was running very very rich.
I like to be able to run the Cascades and make trips to Reno, Tahoe and, this summer, to Colorado. There are work-arounds for a normally aspirated engine but I just didn't want the hassel.
DonC
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Emerson cobra, 460 550HP
Not Ranked     

Semper check out my mass flo in my gallery.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Mass Flo is sweet

I installed the Mass flo system and glad I did. Looks like alot of wires and sensors but once you separate the parts and read the instructions its no problem. I was quite pleased on startup of my new motor. It was like the TV shows where the car just rebuilt from parts starts on the first crank. Go for it. I will shoot some pics to you. Have them on my home computer.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital-cobra
HOLY CRAP!!!! Your gallery is mezmerizing!!! I like the blonde! Actually, there are all 10's

Nice car also (I almost forgot because of the girls )

www.theloanfinder.info
Old 03-02-2007, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbullet
Ken.. not to be off topic, but in a earlier post you were getting 17" wheels for your SPF. did you get them and what offsets and tire sizes did you go with. thinking about 17" myself. would love pic's if possible

Mel
Hi Mel,
I went with wheels from PS Engineering 17X9 front and 17X11 rear. The tires are the Hoosier A6 autocross tires 275 in front and 335 in the rear. I forgot to write down the offsets. Ordered them yesterday so I can't get you a picture, however they are on the ERA site http://www.erareplicas.com/427/wheels.htm. I will be going with some 3-piece wheels after I get the car and have a chance to see what I can use. I was in a hurry right now as the first race is in a few weeks.

Ken
Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital-cobra
Nice pictures!! You almost got me in trouble at work when I was looking at them today, but I'm not complaining at all. Good job.

Ken
Old 03-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Ken thanks for the info, when you get them, I would like to see them, where's your first race going to be at??

Mel
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mel,

Our first two events are 3/24 and 3/25 at the Stockton Fair grounds. It is with the Sacramento chapter of the SCCA. Here is the web site if you want to check it out. http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacramento/index.html. Great group if you want to come out and have some fun. Small site, but it's all we have around here. I just hope my car will be ready in time. I just hope the car will be ready in time. I ordered it in October, but it did not get here until late February. What made it worse is the factory shipped it to Norfolk, VA. and they had to ship it cross country.

Ken
Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm4187
Hi Mel,

Our first two events are 3/24 and 3/25 at the Stockton Fair grounds. It is with the Sacramento chapter of the SCCA. Here is the web site if you want to check it out. http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacramento/index.html. Great group if you want to come out and have some fun. Small site, but it's all we have around here. I just hope my car will be ready in time. I just hope the car will be ready in time. I ordered it in October, but it did not get here until late February. What made it worse is the factory shipped it to Norfolk, VA. and they had to ship it cross country.

Ken
I guess I was repeating myself in that message, to late, to many drinks.

Ken
Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

I bought the EFI for my 351 from edelbrock(threw summit). it was a snap to install and started first time (except for reroughting the wires under the manifold).I live in tahoe at 6000 ft. so i did not want to retune when going to the flatlands or Reno. Peter
Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The previous owner of my SPF was enough of a motor head (and happened to own just about every peice of CNC type equipment going) so he designed and built his own EFI system. Turned out great and works great. Just make sure that if you aren't getting a Mass Flo system, get a good computer for the EFI. I have a MegaSquirt ECU controlling my stuff and I wouldn't suggest it to anybody who isn't into serious learning curves. It does the job, but I wish I had a simpler system on mine....

James
Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi James,

Thanks for the info. I wanted to keep it simple, that's why I went with the Mass-Flo system. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

Ken
Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 SPF, Sold =(
Not Ranked     

Wow, James. Thats an amazing set up you have. I was looking at the engine shots on your gallery. Thats some great work!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershift1038
Wow, James. Thats an amazing set up you have. I was looking at the engine shots on your gallery. Thats some great work!

Thanks! The guy who built it sure knew what he was doing. I think he was going to manufacture a few of them for sale based on this prototype as he has everything in CAD. I am still in the thinking process of replacing the whole thing with a carb setup though, because to get it to really be easy to tune (which it requires just like a carb) would mean I have to learn the MegaSquirt software (not easy). I just can't make myself take the system off as its so nice looking, and I can't come to terms with spending 3-5K dollars just on an EFI computer and setup for something like an Accell DFI or FAST system.

James
Old 03-03-2007, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 SPF, Sold =(
Not Ranked     

I would have thought that once a good tune/calibration was put in.. it wouldn't need too much else. Not the case, eh? It's a GREAT looking set up! I hope you end up keeing it, but understand if you don't for tuning reasons.