Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     
Default DOT/SAE lenses

I have the round brake lights on the rear of my car. Neither these or the front parking lights have a DOT or SAE marking on them. The local DMV inspection station said they will have to have these markings to pass. Has anyone else had this issue come up during inspection, and if so, how did you deal with it?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

I looked at your pictures. Did you special order your car with the two round lights on each side? Mine came with the single rectangular light.

Rodger
Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rodger, Yes I special ordered the car with the round lights.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

The Lucas L691 and L692's are all marked E11 (European TUV accepted) as well as SAE.

I have red yellow and clears, all marked the same. I bought them from Finish line a couple years ago as the ones that were on my car (which were nabbed out of cars in junk yards in the 1980's) were getting hazy.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)

Last edited by Yetiman; 05-01-2007 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yetiman, I checked the lights last night again, and did not see any markings for SAE or DOT. I did see the "LUCAS" name on them and a "REGd" with a number after it.

Has anyone else had any experience with this issue? I have an inspection scheduled for Friday, and have now heard from 4 or 5 people that this will be a reason for failure. They are 2-1/2" round lights (parking and brake) that require a 1/4 twist to lock onto the housing that is attached to the car itself. I really do not want to remove the existing lights and install new ones, requiring drilling new holes and splicing wires. The car is brand new, and I would rather swap the lnses than replace the entire unit. Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a photo showing the markings and their location on my lights:

L691 are single filiment lights (blinker) and L692 lights are dual filiment (tail/brake lights).

Other than the 1 and 2 they are marked Identically.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I took a look through your gallery and those don't quite look 'right' (ie, different from what I go on my FFR and what is available from other vendors) so I'm not sure what SPF is using. I'd look into returning them to SPF and getting something else.
Original street car:

Finishline unit:

The ones I got with my FFR look just like these and have all the markings that Yeti's do.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Maricopa, looking right and passing a DMV visual inspection are two things. I'd swap in the non-original, DOT approved lights for the inspection and then swap in the period correct ones after I get my registration.

Yetiman, great pics!

-Dean
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the responses guys. The SPF round lights are made by Lucas, and do not screw into the backing plate as the lights you have Yetiman (thanks for the pics). They twist on/off with a 1/4 turn, and have four "fins" on the lens itself.

The screw on lenses, like the ones from Finishline, are the only ones I have found with DOT approval. I am trying to avoid buying all new light assemblies and making additional holes to mount them in a new car that has yet to be "street legal" . I am trying to find a lens that is DOT approved and a direct swap for my existing ones, (so that I can just replace the lens and not the backing plate, and leave the wiring alone) but I am begining to think that they do not exist.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,

You have it right. I intend to put the original lenses back after inspection, but I don't want to make any permanent modifications to the car to "temporarily" have the DOT approved lights installed for inspection.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One word...VELCRO.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't laugh, if I think I can get it to work using Velcro, I'll try it
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Red you missed my point. The ones that Finishline sells and are on my and Yeti's cars are DOT and look more correct than the ones on Archrms SPF. The twist-on lenses are normally used on the front turn signals only, not on the tail lights. It looks like SPF is just using front turn signals with red lenses as brake lights.
You might be able to find some replacements but swapping out the entire light assembly (if you have to) isn't that tough. I can undertand the reluctance however.

I included the orginal pics just for interest, the lower 'light' on the 427 street cars was only a reflector and had a flat lense.

Last edited by Maricopa; 05-08-2007 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got it...thanks. All good knowledge.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looking at the pictures in your (Archrms) gallery, your car appears to have Lucas L539 style lights, which have smaller lenses and were not a DOT approved light.

I believe (from past research as I remember it off the top of my head) that the early road cars and indeed the S/C's used the L539 style lights.

The 427 street cars and even some later small block street cars used the L691 & L692 lights which were SAE approved.

The main difference between these light styles is that the L539 do not have a large enough lens for the light to be visible enough from the side. The L691 has a shorter metal base and a deeper lens and the lamp is more exposed in the lens. This is important as there are no other side markers or turn indicators for cross traffic to see at night.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yetiman, that explains the difference between the two lenses, and what you say makes sense. However, it still leaves me with a non-approved lens. If what you say is correct, it may leave me with no option but to install the L691 & L692 light assemblies to get through inspection. Thanks for the additional info, it makes a little more sense, and expalins why I am having such a hard time finding DOT replacements for them (as they may not exist).
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Hope you work it out they look great.

JTD SPF 1045

Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Find someone with a Triumph and borrow their lights for the inspection. Same lights same size and have the proper markings.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed, thanks for the tip. Never would have thought of looking at a Triumph.

JTD, nice lights. I like the bright and dark red combo.