Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     
Question SPF CV Joint Leaking Grease

Hey Guys:
Last week while cleaning the wheels on SPF642 I noticed a lot a grease had exited the right inner CV joint. Inspection of the boot did not find a break. It may be that the grease is escaping by going under the clamp. So what do I do? Do I get a new complete joint assembly greased and ready to go (cost?)? Do I have the unit repacked with grease and install a new boot? Where can I get a replacement piece? Did this piece change as SPF built more and more snakes? Input please.

Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Bob, I had a similar occurrence on the driver's side inner. What was happening was when the axle traveled to its lowest point (rebound after hitting a bump), it would tap the frame. This didn't cause a tear, but it effectively loosened the steel strap just enough to eject grease all over that triangular section of the rear frame members.

I ended up doing a couple things. First I pulled the half-shaft and had it re-packed and a new band installed. I then modified the rear differential brace to essentially move the axles up into the triangular frame about 1/2" more. See my gallery for a pic of this. That slight movement added some additional clearance without upsetting the pinion/drive shaft angle.

As additional insurance, I took a thin smear of Black Ultra Permatex sealant and layed it between the boot and steel "can" (for lack of a better term) along the entire circumference. No more leaks.

-Dean #747
Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Do you have the plastic style clamps or the metal band style clamps. Is it leaking on the larger or smaller side of the boot? Replacement metal bands cost about $3 each. The tool to put them on costs $20.00...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

Blas..whats the tool name and where do you buy it ??

Tony
Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I use standard hose clamps on mine. Easy to service, don't come loose. Not difficult to apply.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

NAPA auto parts.
SS Boot clamps and install tool...
The tool rachets the band tight. You bend it over, tap the locking band, cut off the access....
I'll look for a part number tonight.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Blas:
Sounds like what Tim at Dynamic told me. Metal bands.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 05-09-2007 at 05:39 AM..
Old 05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

NAPA part # 3191 - CV Wrench $21.99
NAPA part #3415 - small CV Strap - $1.99
2002 part #'s and pricing...
You will need to "work" the CV clamp to open it for installation, so you don't need to remove the axle's or anything....Note: VERY SHARP EDGES on the clamp...remove old clamp, clean underneath boot and axle surface with q-tips and solvent...burp extra air out of the boot...If I recall, there is a little grove that an edge of the boot locks into....you will see it when you clean it....install the new clamp, tighten, trim, enjoy....I removed the tire when I did mine.....wrecked a nice shirt if I recall correctly leaning up against the wheel hub....antisieze stains...but I digress....clean-up took longer than the repair.....
Let me know if you need any other guidance.....
Good Luck, The eyes of Club Cobra are watching you...
(no pressure)
Blas

Last edited by Blas; 05-09-2007 at 09:27 AM..
Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to NAPA for the grease, the bands and the special tool. I contacted Olthoff for the Boots. NAPA did not have the bands but had everything else. The boots sent to me by Olthoff were not the correct boots and are on the way back.

I did pull the boot back to inspect the joint. There was still lot of grease on the bearings. I packed some more in and reclamped them with the 3191 wrench. If the weather is good this weekend I will take the Snake on a test drive.

Did a test drive Sunday morning, everything look good.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 05-14-2007 at 05:59 AM..