Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     
Question Engine install in new roller

I'm considering buying a new roller and installing the engine/tranny myself. I've done small things like: replace heads, clutches, rears, and brakes; rebuild carbs; fab exhausts; but nothing heavy. What's involved with an SPF installation and does SPF supply a checklist or instructions for doing this. Seems to me I should be able to do this reliably and save some $s.

Any advice or experience with this is appreciated. About how many hours are required (planning info)?

thx

Matt
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Matt,

Save your money do it yourself, but remember that there is always secrets or things that a installer knows that isn't writen down in a assembly book. Check with some of the SPF installers and see if they would sell you an install kit. I know Performance Engineering with assist with that. www.perfeng.cc Ask for Eric. He has helped several that I know with installs.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I hesitate to mention it, but there was a video made, a long ago in a far away place, of an engine install in a Superformance chassis. A small block and Big Block, Seems like a great idea to do, but they chose not to use the "magic" of video, like "time passing quickly" comes to mind....
It was the longest, and driest, most awful thing I have ever sat thru...Kind of like a pre World War 2 documentary on dairy farming, on B&W film, originally shot in Russia by the government on a rainy overcast day with peasants as actors, and then it was dubbed in many different languages, with French sub-titles... with the same sound track - over and over and over and over and ov...My heart stopped twice while watching it...The dog who usually sits by my feet, went upstairs....Annette Funicello movies are Oscar contenders by comparison. Tie me to a chair and tape my eyelids open and loop "Bonzo goes to College" and "Beach Blanket Bingo" for a weekend. Make me sing along with Dylan's new Christmas Album...But don't make me watch that tape again...My hands are shaking......Agh......

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 01-07-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Blas , well said , very descriptive , thanks for the chuckle .
SDR
________
Oregon medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let me add, their heart was in the right place in making the video...Well done, step by step (by step, etc), instilling confidence in someone considering a do-it-yourself install back then with decent skills or convincing someone it's a little out of his league. And then there are always the SCOF and Club Cobra members can talk anyone thru any build problem....And local owners will always offer to help too. A great way to meet locals too. Cold beer, spicy pizza and an engine install...that's a great Saturday night...The 3am quick fire-up and spin around the block...Say good-bye to your friendly neighbors...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Without a doubt do the install yourself. You will save about $2K and will not have to clean up others work. The install is very simple just use alot of blankets around the opening etc. The risk is damage.

I would be more concerned with bellhousing alignment, clutch install etc.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

I like you had limited mechanical knowledge...and completed my own install over the winter. Had help from a friend who did his install a few years prior so that was a big bonus. Some lessons learned:

1) the fuel line connection was not an easy to find item. I think i remember i had to sand the end for some time to get my set up to work right.
2) Attach the driveshaft to the rear end first...when you start coaxing the engine and trans to its final resting place, guide the driveshaft in. Assuming you are mating the engine and trans together to install as one. I didnt do this and installing the driveshaft with the emergency brake hardware was a major PITA.
3) Use the Olthoff Mounts (Poly) if installing a small block. Best upgrade you can do.
4) Recommend the Qwiktime bellhousing.
5)Have fun...it is something you can do.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

No argument that you can do it yourself. I did mine in '04 and a new car this past summer for a friend.

But, it will take time and a certain degree of aggravation. Unless you know all of the tricks someone like Craig Aylsworth in Detroit http://www.craigscobras.com/ can save you time and you'll get the benefit of his experience. Craig's installs, about 20 now, are superb, easily better that Performance Engineering ever did for Dynamic's customers and better than any that I've seen.

I'm a SPF owner and have seen about 100 different SPFs. Nothing compares to Craig's latest work.

But it's still fun to do it yourself.

There was a video provided with the last Dynamic cars that did a fairly good job and wasn't too boring.

Jim
Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2489 kc 427
Not Ranked     

Install your engine. I did it, having never installed or even swapped an engine before. It is really gratifying, and you will know your car in a way that isn't possible without that experience. You truly will gain the confidence (though maybe not always the ambition) to maintain, upgrade,or repair the car yourself. Or to supervise and inspect other's work.
It's a project that will likely take a month or 2 of evenings and weekends, but don't get in a hurry. Deadlines will just make you nuts.
It would have helped me a lot if I had known about Cub Cobra when I did it.
These guys will help you with ANYTHING, ask lots of questions.
I hear SCOF is a big help. I joined but have never gotten comfortable with the way it's structured.
And while I agree the video is a little dry and somewhat dated, I never would have gotten the job done without it. I got my copy from Olthof just after they transferred it to DVD. Let me know if you have trouble getting a copy.
Keith Craft built my 427 small block. They indexed the bell housing and sold me the clutch which saved me some hassle. Let's see what else, make sure your output shaft is the correct length for your bell housing. And I think if I were to do it again I would go with an external slave...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I mean input shaft

Last edited by ken swart; 01-07-2010 at 10:31 PM..
Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Thx guys,

Sounds like doing the install myself is the way to go: I think it would be really gratifying (at one point I was considering building an FFR '33 for the fun of it). I'll try to get the Olthof DVD.

I'm sure that if/when I get into this I'll have lots more questions: you guys area big help!

thx again.

Matt
Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Matt,
You have a email...

Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO3058, Roush 427SR-TW
Not Ranked     

Hi guys I have been lerking around for a while and I'm concidering a SPF roller and doing the drivetrain install myself. Where can I find this video you spoke of. Thanks, Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     

not a big deal installing the drivetrain. I put my roller on car skates and used a cherry picker with an extra long arm. I made a lift bar that was just wider than
the engine and ran the chains to the header bolts. also used two small floor jacks to move the engine around a bit to get engine mount bolts in. great fun
doing it yourself. most important part is indexing the bellhousing. I used a lakewood.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dennis Olthoff, olthoffracing.com (704) 647 9924
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Definitely do your own install. It's very rewarding and you will know where everything is and how it went together. Without a doubt, join SCOF and take advantage of all the SPF specific knowledge that is available there. No matter what question you have, you will receive very specific and helpful responses from SCOF members. The previously mentioned Craig Aylsworth is one of them.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Be sure to have a good shop nearby to help you with the heavy lifting or machine work if needed. -- you can do the install yourself, but if you run into an anomaly, make sure you have someone to help locally. --

This forum is great and very helpful but having someone knowing what to look for could help.

Make sure your dealer has completed "Dealer Prep" on the car , and that the brakes are all set, and everything is installed and torqued.

Dont get complicated, -- simplify when possible.

make sure the engine you get has been run on a run stand BEFORE you install it into your chassis to prevent leaks and problems.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     

Please see my gallery for a bunch of self install pictures.