Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 SPF
Not Ranked     
Default Should I buy used or new?

I am considering another SPF and I wouild like to here members thoughts. I purchased my last SPF used and loved it. I was not 100% happy about the color and few other little things. I did sell it and received approximatly 95% of my original purchasing price back. I did however buy it used!

Now, I am wanting another SPF and the preowned prices appear to be in the range of buying new. I am not wanting a roush motor, a ford racing motor would be sufficient. What is everybody's advise? New or used? What should I expect to pay?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

get a new one with fms engine / 435 hp for 52,900 or roush 402r for 59800. My buddy bought a "used" one with 46 miles and roush 402r for 51K, the car was immaculate. It would be difficult for me to digest a used superformance for over 50K and it would have to be chassis 1900 or newer. It amazes me that people pay more for a used one than a brand spanking new in the color of their choice. Wait 3 more months until November and take another 10% off. buying used is a real pain in the butt, pictures only tell so much, you have to pay shipping so why not pay shipping for a new one.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats what I need to here! Anybody else??/
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

psssst........you could always buy a used Kirkham for a little more
Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

For a few dollars more, you get a new car exactly how you want it. You will know everything that happens to the car from the day it arrives, and not have to rely on the previous owner's word. I went new for the peace of mind it offers, and that if I was going to spend that kind of money, I wanted it exactly my way. Budget always plays a role, but don't let it be the only deciding factor. If you can't afford it your way now, wait a little while until you can. You won't be sorry.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry but I have to chime in...

Most the comments here don't seem to give credit to current SPF owners' tastes or ability to tweak their cars to a notch above bone stock. I feel there is an added value to that and could save a prospective buyer a lot of time and a few bucks if what he finds conforms to his taste and plans.

Both my SPFs I bought used - and true, the first was a learning experience but I found my current ride to be what I would have spec'd it to be and saved, in my humble opinion, a lot of time and money.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On ebay right now is a brand new Backdraft (I beleive it is the BDR dealer in FLA) and they will do the same in any color you want for $39900. Sure it has a 302, so did my last one and I walked away from everyone. Superformance is $10K more anyway you cut it over a BDR. Is is it worth it, no but it depends on how deap your pockects are and how much you want to loose when you sale it. I am investigating a used BDR right now and it is frustrating, between his trips and mine it is career trying to exchange information, before long it grows tiresome.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

madmaxx: Are you saying that BDR's hold their value better than an SPF does? -That's a bit of a stretch.
Last I checked, new SPF's weren't 10k more than a BDR. Plus, after you added all the "extras" to a BDR (stuff that comes STANDARD on an SPF) to truthfully compare "apples to apples", they were then very close in price (BDR may even cost more).

BOTH are great cars.............it just depends on what you want.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 08-14-2007 at 07:54 AM..
Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary 289 FIA, 351 fi windsor
Not Ranked     

It looks like everyone likes the new cars better. There's another side to this story you need to consider. I've owned new and used cobras for the last 15 years and I can tell you from experience that just because it's new doesn't mean you're not going to have teething problems. These cars are all custom built and because of that, there are always bugs that surface over time. I'm not saying one is better than any other about this. So don't think I'm endorsing one brand over another. But with a used car that's been well maintained, you skip that chapter of the cars history and if you know what to look for (a professionally assembled car) , I think you can financially get a better deal for a more reliable car straight out of the box. Also, lets face the fact that the market is very soft right now. So you can really get a very nice car in the mid 40s that would cost you half again as much brand new right now. That ought to get every one talking!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1909, 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

I was in the same boat as you but I was able to find a used SPF exactly the way and color I would have ordered one in my own state. I inspected it, appraised it and drove it home for 15k less than a new one. I think part of the decision will be timing- we timed it just right and found exactly what we wanted locally so it was a no brainer for us. I don't settle so if it wasn't exactly what we wanted I would never have bought it so either wait for what you want to come up for sale used or order it and pay more- either way you'll have a Cobra and will have a big smile on your face .
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

New is always nice if you have the extra cash and you know what you want.

There are many owners out there that really care about their cars, warm them up, make little upgrades and refinements, change the oil, keep things in order etc. I think if I was interested in keeping expense down I'd go used and look for a seller of the type.

I bought mine used from a friend with 1100 miles after watching him break it in like an old lady. There's definitely consideration in how the previous owner cared for the car. I paid $63,000 for Superformance 2040 with Roush 427R-095. I then added/changed some things to spend about another $12,000 to, in my opinion, set up the car more suited to the engine, labor not included as I did much of the work myself.

Headers to some that don't cover exhaust ports.
stronger clutch, light weight flywheel.
second set of rear wheels and Drag radials and fixed internal wheel well fiberglass lump
second set of 17" wheels and tires
Half Shafts to stronger
Differential internals Detroit Tru-Track
1/2 inch fuel line, tank pick up to carb
higher volume Carter mechanical fuel pump
taller air cleaner
2 - Pro-Systems carbs, 1 per purpose.
Buckshot Racefab side pipes.

Last edited by greg schroeder; 08-14-2007 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TerrySPF

I am not saying BDR's hold their values any better or worse than a Superformance, I am saying there are more customers in the 40K range than the 50K range and you can get into a NEW BDR driving down the road in the color of your choice for 39,900. I do not care what options you put on a BDR including a top, heater etc, A superformance is 10K more and if you do not get the heater and top in a BDR than Superformances are 12K more.

I am extremely familiar with both BDR and Superformance. No doubt Superformance is a "beefer" car but since I drive less than 1K miles a year why do I need the beef?

It home the other night when my wife said, when you see a BMW 745i going down the street you know it cost more than a BMW 330i, but when I see a Cobra I do not know if it cost 35K or 90K. As we all know none of these cars are essential so I guess the less you spend to be happy the less you will loose when you sell.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Lets see, you can get a used one with for 40 with a nice small block375- 450 hp. 50k for one with a big block. A new roller is 43k. The market is a buyers market right now. I got mine for 38k earlier this summer and gave it a paint job for about 7k. To build it new would be looking at the upper 60's. It's no constest, just look for what you want and you will find it used and save a TON of money.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The primary reason for buying new is to get a car spec'd to exactly your tastes, color, engine, trans, gear ratios, interior, etc. etc. Virtually impossible to duplicate your exact tastes in a used one.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

STLN77,
I bought my SPF used with 4900 miles on it and got a steal. I'd do it again tomorrow. All the new-car-hassles were worked out (and there were some). I asked a lot of questions over the phone and had the owner take specific photos I wanted. Took a weekend trip to see and drive the car, agreed on a price and Rich had it in my driveway 3 weeks later. No problemo.
I could have done nothing but put in gas and oil forever, but have put about $8k in personalizations.
The market is soft right now and if you can wait til this winter, will be even better. If you can find the colors and options you want, you can get a lot more for your money used. You will not get 95% of your money back going new.
This being the Superformance Forum, I won't engage in a quality argument with Maxx. You've already owned an SPF so you know what you're getting.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

STLN77,
I also bought my SPF used. I did a lot of research while looking around for a few years and felt that SPF quality and value were well established. The concern with "get it exactly the way you want" for a finished roller like the SPF is not as large a debate for me, as the roller comes pretty well complete and included the things I wanted. Most of the add-ons are standard on an SPF as you know. I looked for a specific color, no stripe, grill and bumper options, big block, low miles and meticulous first owner. If you look around abit, here, CobraCountry, specialty car forums, even eBay, you will likely find exactly what you want, at a huge savings. Also as others have mentioned, there is the significant factor of "sorting the car out" and this should be factored in your decision as well. Break-in, new engine cares, leaks and rattle concerns, alignment, chassis setup, fitment follow-ups with the dealer, engine install paint dings, the list goes on and one - all of that is mostly the domain of the first owner. As others have noted, often after purchase you will put in the bucks to "personalize" your Cobra, as I also did. Buying a quality Cobra from a meticulous first owner is an entirely different thing from looking at the Civic in the downtown used car lot JMHO, your mileage may vary, but advise you not rule out thoroughly looking over the used SPF market.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like used is the way to go again. Anybody know of any good deals in the $45,000 range? I am not picky on engines, I would just prefer a lighter color, Silver, grey, white, etc...

If I am gonna pay over $50,000. then I would just buy new and built it. Any sellers can email me at bhughes77@earthlink.net
Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again to everybody that posted. Everybodys comments where right on and made sense.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tons in the 45K range, call the ones on Cobra country that you like which are asking 55k 60K range, offer your price which they will scoff at. They always call back within a month when they cannot sell you will get it for around 45K. What people ask and what they get are diametrically different. Make no mistake you can call dynamic motorsports and get brand spanking new turnkey car with a performance engineering 351 / 435 hp for 52,900 or go with a Roush 402R/510 hp for 59.5K.

Think of it like this, how many people are crazy enough to spend 45K plus on a car with no windows,ac,etc. There is no logic to it!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello (fellow St. Louisian)

On my first visit to Dynamic in Ohio - I was looking at a used Cobra. It was in good shape - and I was ready to buy. But then they wheeled in a brand new car fresh from it first run of break in miles. I was weak in the knees. I knew right then that what I REALLY wanted was a new car built to my specs. Anyway - a little more than a year later - and the car is on it way. So - my take is - get a new one - whatever brand - build it the way you want.

Just my .02