Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to jacb
Not Ranked     
Default Tko 600 - Where To Mount The Shifter

Hi

I’m just about to purchase a “SPF MK lll” + “Roush 427 SR TW (Dart Iron Block)” + “TKO 600 (TCET4617)” fitted with a TCKT5729 short input shaft kit (no spacer needed) ......... I need some advice regarding the transmission.

I would like the shifter to be moved forward, so that I end up with a straight (vertical) shifter - unlike the original, but now “kirckham” standard. The TKO can mount the shifter in four or more positions (measured from the face of the clutch housing) 19.52" standard, 16.75” standard reversed, 12.68” using a mid position kit and 7.02” using a forward position kit.

Since I have lost the thickness of the engine/transmission spacer (transmission moved forward) and if I use the “standard – reversed” shifter position ... will I end up with the short vertical shifter in a useable position in a SPF MK111 or should I purchase the mid position kit?

I plan to use:

• McLeod 8624 Bell housing
• McLeod 6913-07C Clutch kit
• Thrust bearing ……. ?
• Clutch Forks ……… ?
• Slave cylinder …….. ?

Can anyone help with the blank part numbers?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

James I got your email I will be replying a little later, sorry for the delay. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G
James I got your email I will be replying a little later, sorry for the delay. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Thanks Jimi ........ I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Hi,

I have SPF 1855, Windsor 427, tk0600

I mounted the shifter in the mid position, using a housing from D&D Transmission in Livonia, MI. This part may not have been needed.

Works fine or at least as well as TKO will shift. The shifter arm is about 6" long and almost straight up. I adjusted the shifter angle after the trans & engine were installed. The shifter arms was home built but there are commercial units available from Hurst andn other sources.

This location puts the shifter about 8" back from the dash and in a comfortable position. I like it and have never wished I did anything different.

Jim
Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal
I mounted the shifter in the mid position. The shifter arm is about 6" long and almost straight up. This location puts the shifter about 8" back from the dash and in a comfortable position. I like it and have never wished I did anything different.
Jim
Thanks Jim

Just to make certain that I have got this correct ..... Did you use a spacer between your bellhousing and the engine (this tells me if you have a short input shaft) ..... if you do have a spacer then your transmission will be about 3/4" further back than mine will be .......... Ie if I dont use the spacer the shifter moves forward.

Did you purchased the "TKO mid position shifter kit" or simply reverse the standard shifter position? (no kit needed for the later).

Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No spacer between engine and bell housing.

Bought D&D's midshift kit. This is much like the Pro-5 shifter and the one that came with the TKO600. If it matters this package was purchased mid 2004 and is fairly early in the 600 program.

The D&D guys have been very good to work with and they've helped me through a few problems, leaks etc.

Just a plug on bell housings. I started with a McLeod and had problems with the starter alignment, dumped that beast and installed a Ford production aluminum, worked great. Then I saw the Quick Time scatter shield and installed that. An excellent and very cool product. Way lighter that the more normal scattershields and very well designed and built.

Jim
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal
No spacer between engine and bell housing.

Bought D&D's midshift kit. This is much like the Pro-5 shifter and the one that came with the TKO600. The D&D guys have been very good to work with.

I started with a McLeod and had problems with the starter alignment, dumped that beast and installed a Ford production aluminum, worked great. Then I saw the Quick Time scatter shield and installed that. An excellent and very cool product. Way lighter that the more normal scattershields and very well designed and built.
Jim
Hi Jim

Thanks again - I did'nt know about Quick Time http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#ford ........ they look good so I have sent an email.

Regarding D&D - do they have a web site - cant find it!

Could you post a picture of your transmission tunnel .... Photbucket.com works well for pictures.

I am planing on using a McLeod RST 6913-07C clutch kit, what are you using? Which slave cylinder, T/O bearing and clutch fork have you used?

I know questions, questions!

Thanks again

James
Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

I'll second the suggestion for a QuickTime bellhousing. Top notch all the way.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrupa2
I'll second the suggestion for a QuickTime bellhousing. Top notch all the way.
I asked "Do you make an SFI approved bellhousing to fit between my Ford 351W (Dart iron block) and a TKO 600 (fitted with a short input shaft kit) without using a spacer? I hope to use an external slave cylinder and I plan to use a McLeod RST 6913-07C clutch kit - My flywheel is a 157 tooth item"

Just in ...... From Kim at QuickTime

RM-6063. Retail is $401.70.

We currently have non-SFI certified models in stock. We are switching this model to SFI. We are running them right now. These will be available in less than 2 weeks.

Thank you,
Kim Robinson
Vice President Sales/Marketing
QuickTime Inc.

Last edited by jacb; 01-20-2008 at 12:55 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK so it looks like it's going to be:
  • TKO 600 (TCET4617)
  • Fitted with a short input shaft kit TCKT5729 (removes the need for a spacer)
  • QuickTime RM-6063 Bellhousing (wait two weeks for SFI certified model)
  • McLeod Clutch RST 6913-O7C (may not need the "C" version of the kit - check)
  • 157 tooth Roush Flywheel
What I need to work out now is where to get:
  • The Hydraulic External Slave cylinder for the QuickTime Bellhousing
  • A suitable T/O bearing
  • Suitable clutch fork

Anyone ............. ?

I did see Mike's page http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/newr...treply&t=84513 ..... maybe his "Hydraulic External Slave For Steel bellhousing" would do the job? I beleive it comes with a fork but no T/O bearing.

I remain undecided about the need for a Tremec 30-17-4X mid-shift conversion kit ..... I could simply reverse the shifter in the standard position (moves shifter 2.77" forward) and hope that the 2.77" plus the thickness of the missing spacer (had the effect of moving the transmission forward) will be enough to place the short vertical shifter in a position that falls comfortably to hand ..... like the photo below. If I do go for the mid-shift kit it would move the shifter a further 4.07" forward (6.84" on standard) .... do I need this in the SPF MKlll ?

Last question .... am I correct in saying that when the mid-shift kit is fitted a Pro 5.0 shifter cannot be used?

This is what I want

Cobra standard .... not what I want

Last edited by jacb; 01-20-2008 at 12:57 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just found this thread External Clutch Slave Cylinder for QT Bellhousing? answers a few questions.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jacb - I have the 402SR with a QuickTime. I purchased an external slave that fit perfect from Ward over at SnakePower. http://snakepowerperf.com/ The rod isnt adjustable but one can be made. I ended up going with just a spacer when i did my final adjustment. Once i get my car back (hopefully next week) i can take a pic and send it to you. If you are doing the install yourself, let me know. I just completed mine and could help you avoid some "gotchya's" along the way. I found out the hard way.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

EDIT MODE doesnt work so another post...

Also, I believe the TKO allows you to reverse the stock shifter forward without the mid-shift kit...i wonder if that would give you enough room.
download the Tremec catalog with the dimensions for further insight. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...vice%20Manuals
Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrupa2 View Post
I believe the TKO allows you to reverse the stock shifter forward without the mid-shift kit...i wonder if that would give you enough room. Download the Tremec catalog with the dimensions for further insight. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...vice%20Manuals
Thanks ekrupa2

I did download the manual same time ago and tried to discuss the shifter position options earlier in this thread ..... What I dont have yet is a SPF MKlll to measure hence my questions.

Regards
Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrupa2 View Post
Jacb - I have the 402SR with a QuickTime. I purchased an external slave that fit perfect from Ward over at SnakePower. http://snakepowerperf.com/ The rod isnt adjustable but one can be made. I ended up going with just a spacer when i did my final adjustment. Once i get my car back (hopefully next week) i can take a pic and send it to you. If you are doing the install yourself, let me know. I just completed mine and could help you avoid some "gotchya's" along the way. I found out the hard way.
Thanks ekrupa2

That would be really helpfull ...... Thank you
Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,

I couldn't find the D&D web page either, may nit have one. They are located in Wixom, MI.

No photos, sorry traveling now and donm't have my full system with me.

I am using a Ford clutch fork, not sure which one but the pivot is on the passenge side.

Clutch slave is a NAPA piece, not sure of p/n and I'm not home to check.

Clutch is a custom unit from Clutch Dynamics in Lansing, MI. Works great so far. Ceramic pads and very light pressure. Holds my engine with 450 lb/ft rwtqe.

Check out SCOF http://performanceunlimited.com/scof/
You may want to join

Jim
Old 01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal View Post
James,

I couldn't find the D&D web page either, may not have one. They are located in Wixom, MI.

No photos, sorry traveling now and don't have my full system with me.

I am using a Ford clutch fork, not sure which one but the pivot is on the passenge side.

Clutch slave is a NAPA piece, not sure of p/n and I'm not home to check.

Clutch is a custom unit from Clutch Dynamics in Lansing, MI. Works great so far. Ceramic pads and very light pressure. Holds my engine with 450 lb/ft rwtqe.

Check out SCOF http://performanceunlimited.com/scof/subscribe.html You may want to join

Jim
Thanks Jim

I looked at the SCOF mailing list and will join just as soon as my order is placed and I am given a chassis number.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They say a picture paints a thousand words .......... Here are a few:

The QuickTime bellhousing, TKO with short input shaft (no spacer)
The TKO is using the rear most shifter position (standard pos'):

The QuickTime bellhousing modified by Mike Forte (mike@fortesparts.com) using a slave cylinder from CNC Brakes in California www.cncbrakes.com:

The McLeod bellhousing modified by Mike Forte:

An unmodified McLeod bellhousing and spacer for the standard TKO input shaft:

A TKO fitted with a mid position shift kit:

Last edited by jacb; 01-21-2008 at 01:35 AM..
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ward Brady Jr has kindly just sent the following:

"If you use a Quicktime bellhousing #RM6060 or #RM6065 (SFI approved w/block plate) then you don't need to change input shaft. The bellhousing is made for TKO to Ford 5.8. Use a ZA-125 fork, SC 124279 Slave Cylinder and a 614014 throw out bearing. You will have to make a bracket an D rod for slave.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ward Brady Jr.
Snake Power Performance
1160 Goodrich Ave.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
630.348.2500 Office
630.348.2502 Fax"
ward@snakepowerperf.com
Now I dont want to appear slow Ward but who makes the:
ZA-125 fork
SC 124279 Slave Cylinder
640014 T/O Bearing
Maybe this is basic USA stuff but I am trying to do this from England - ie get the part numbers and order the items.

Regarding the Quicktime bellhousings ....... long and short shaft versions seem to be the issue ........... so do I understand that with QuickTime bellhousings you never use a spacer, you just pick the bellhousing style that matches the TKO input shaft length? I suppose if you used a standard TKO input shaft and a short style QuickTime bellhousing, a spacer could save the day.

So why three styles? ...... SFI approved maybe? Flywheel size maybe??? Taken from the QuickTime website Quick Time Performance Products

RM-6060 5.0/5.8 Ford Bellhousing/TKO 500-600/TR3500/T5 Mustang transmission
• Height = 6.925
• Trans. Bore Ø = Universal 4.850/4.910
• Engine = Ford 289/302/351w/351c
• Trans. = Universal TKO 500-600/T5 Mustang/TR3550
• Clutch Ø = 10.5"
• Flywheel = 157 tooth
• Weight = 20#
• Universal shifter fork brackets for diaphragm or cable operated linkage
• Has passed all SFI testing
• Pivot ball, shifter fork brackets, full engine plate, and grade 8 bolts included

RM-6063 - 5.0/5.8 Ford Bellhousing/Ford Old Style Toploader/Borgwarner T-10
• Height = 6.112
• Engine = Ford 289/302/351w/351c
• Trans. = Ford toploader/Borgwarner T-10
• Clutch Ø = 12"
• Flywheel = 157 tooth
• Weight = 20#
• Has passed all SFI testing .... Kim of Quicktime tells me that the bellhousing will be Certified within the next two weeks.
• Pivot ball, linkage bracket, full engine plate, and grade 8 bolts included

RM-6065 - 5.0/5.8 Ford Bellhousing/TKO/TR3550/T5 Mustang Transmission
• SFI Certified @ 6.1
• Height = 6.925
• Engine = Ford 289/302/351W/351C
• Trans. = Universal TKO/T5 Mustang/TR3550
• Clutch Ø = 10.5"
• Flywheel = 157 tooth
• Weight = 22#
• Pivot ball, linkage brackets, grade 8 bolts, and full engine plate included

What do users think about the large cutouts that the QuickTime bellhousings have for the clutch fork and starter gear. What about the grit gravel and road grime? Can you get covers or would you be better off using the heavy McLeod items (closed) on the road and leave the open style QuickTime bellhousings for the track?

Last edited by jacb; 01-21-2008 at 09:39 AM..
Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G View Post
Hi Jimi

Still looking forward to hearing your thoughts .... any comments?