Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF# 2560
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your input. A metalurgist looked at the pictures and it looks like it was over hardened and became brittle. A problem from the supplier. I was sent a picture from a car that was in a wreck and it was bent badly but not broken. It seems to be one in a ?????? I don't have that kind of luck when it comes to Lotto.

Ken M 2560
Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Those parts are made in very large batches. If that ball joint was over stressed ('stress relief', a heat treat term) than many more were treated the same...where are these parts. They may never fail, but they still may be defective.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm4187 View Post
Thanks for all your input. A metalurgist looked at the pictures and it looks like it was over hardened and became brittle. A problem from the supplier. I was sent a picture from a car that was in a wreck and it was bent badly but not broken. It seems to be one in a ?????? I don't have that kind of luck when it comes to Lotto.

Ken M 2560
Looks like you got your answer so I will not pursue it any further.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Ken,

Like everybody here, I’m sorry for your failure, and happy that you were not hurt. I am a VP at a destructive testing laboratory in SoCal. While it is interesting to guess at the cause of the failure, it cannot be determined by looking at photographs. And to suggest that and entire lot of parts is suspect is unfair. Investigate: yes, accuse, no.
With that said, I would be happy to perform a failure analysis on the suspect parts, free of charge. If you are interested, email me and we will set it up.

Let’s hold judgment and comment until we have a clearer picture on what has happened.

Jason
jasonw@metalstec.com
Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Thank you!!!! D-CELL Your offer to review the possible product failure is extremely generous, I hope Kenm4187 takes advantage of your offer
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
Ken,

Like everybody here, I’m sorry for your failure, and happy that you were not hurt. I am a VP at a destructive testing laboratory in SoCal. While it is interesting to guess at the cause of the failure, it cannot be determined by looking at photographs. And to suggest that and entire lot of parts is suspect is unfair. Investigate: yes, accuse, no.
With that said, I would be happy to perform a failure analysis on the suspect parts, free of charge. If you are interested, email me and we will set it up.

Let’s hold judgment and comment until we have a clearer picture on what has happened.

Jason
jasonw@metalstec.com
Jason,

My intent is to find out what happened. I do agree it is harder to determine what happened just from pictures.

First I wanted to find out if this happened to anyone else or if was just an isolated issue. From the info I have gotten back it seems very rare.

Second, I never suggested that the whole batch was bad or this was a wide scale issue. Those comments were made by others. I just did not want to see this happen to anyone else.

As soon as I know I don't need to hold on to the part any longer. I would like to take you up on your offer to help determine what happened.

My car is just over a month out of warranty and I am not sure what will happen with the insurance company as I was auto-crossing. If it is not needed by one of them I will send it to you. I do want to thank you for your offer, it was very nice of you. I am sure everyone would like to know the cause.

Thanks,

Kenm2560
Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Ken,

I apologize for not being clearer, as those comments did not come from you.
Just shoot me an email when you are ready and I will get to it.

Jason
Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Just caught one on the rack and not the track

Investigating a "clicking noise" in the left front, my mech found the lower left ball joint would bind and then pop under loading....noise there since car was new, May 22nd. To his credit, Lance has a replacement in the mail.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glad to hear you found it before something may have happened. I wish mine had made some noise or gave me some warning.

Kenm2560
Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sorry about your beautiful car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm4187 View Post
Glad to hear you found it before something may have happened. I wish mine had made some noise or gave me some warning.

Kenm2560
We didn't find the problem till the 4th try. The noise was annoying, so I finally told the mechanic to tighten every fricking bolt on the undercarriage. He finally hear it on a hard left turn and found it by bouncing the car useing the sway bar when it was on a lift....very lucky ...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did the mechanic find the ball joint was never lubricated? Was it about to fail?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Kinda like your back !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Did the mechanic find the ball joint was never lubricated? Was it about to fail?
Don't have a clue Patrick, I just put gas in and out of them. I suspect SP will take a close look at it when we send it back. It couldn't be good.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My plan is as follows:
Try not to drink until after 7:00pm tonight.
Between 5:00 pm and 7:00 pm I am going to put the car on jack stands. Take off front wheels, place board on floor jack, place floor jack under brake rotor, apply pressure to brake rotor, monitor ball joint movement, if any movement ball joint is defective, drink immediately and call SPF, if no movement then ensure ball joint is greased. If case two occurs which I suspect it will I begin drinking immediately.

So either way my plans are fixed for tonight, LOL!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, I went over every nut and bolt and every single one was so tight I could not budge as far as the chassis. I found the 4 bolts holding the transmission to bell housing not loose but I could turn them.

As far as the tie rod ends they were greased, as far as the ball joints in my opinion the only grease was assembly grease, in other words noyone ever greased the joints via the zerk fittings. I pumped alot of grease in each one, they way I know they had not be greased was one of the boots could be pulled back a little and all I saw was a residue, not be an expert I have no idea if this would last the life of the joint but with grease costing $4.00 tube and the effort of drilling and tapping zerk fitting seams pretty ignorant not to grease them.

I checked my passenger side for movement and found none, only about 100 degrees to day so I will check the drive side tomorrow.

In summary grease your ball joints ASAP!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

MadMax,

Good point. I had the same experience regarding the grease fittings on my SPF. The first time I changed my oil, I took a look at the rubber around the ball joints and they looked deflated. I pumped a bunch of grease into those fittings. I though it was just an isolated event and someone had just overlooked it.

You posted at 7:36 pm, so I trust you had a cool beverage in hand!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 06-20-2008 at 08:57 PM..
Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not yet on the beverage, but I did check the driver side and found the same the ball joints had about the same amount of lubricant as a nun' s party box on Good Friday. Yea there was a couple of drops but not enough to brag about.

Regardless of the ball joints being lube or not they should NEVER,EVER FAIL. True the ball would wear to the point where the ball popped out of the socket/housing in about 50K miles but the stud should never ever break. So we have a real mystery hear. I did see USA stamped on mine which made me feel better than Made in China. It will be interesting to hear what the failure analysis finds.

Either way no excuse for SPF not greasing the ball joints. If they are diligent enough to mark every single nut, bolt with paint to show they were tightened then they must be miscommunicating with their supplier. SPF thinks the supplier is greasing and the supplier must think SPF is greasing.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

I have never encountered a SPF roller to have grease in the ball joints or tie rods. Greasing these points is just another check box on our list when doing the install.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Not yet on the beverage, but I did check the driver side and found the same the ball joints had about the same amount of lubricant as a nun' s party box on Good Friday. Yea there was a couple of drops but not enough to brag about.

Regardless of the ball joints being lube or not they should NEVER,EVER FAIL. True the ball would wear to the point where the ball popped out of the socket/housing in about 50K miles but the stud should never ever break. So we have a real mystery hear. I did see USA stamped on mine which made me feel better than Made in China. It will be interesting to hear what the failure analysis finds.

Either way no excuse for SPF not greasing the ball joints. If they are diligent enough to mark every single nut, bolt with paint to show they were tightened then they must be miscommunicating with their supplier. SPF thinks the supplier is greasing and the supplier must think SPF is greasing.
My ball joint was lubed when it sheared off, only about 1420 miles on the car. I agree it should not have sheared off. I got the new ball joints installed today and used the old spindle (just to get it out of the trailer) until my new parts arrive. When I got it out of the trailer I found even more damage. When the wheel came off it hit the side pipe and pushed it back. The pipe is in about 2" by the rear tire. It looks like the exhaust manifold may be bent also, I can see an impact point in the heat shield behind it, very hard to tell. It just keeps getting better. Looks ok at the head.

Kenm2560
Old 06-22-2008, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kenm2560,

I assume the failure is being analysed? What in the world could have caused this outside of a manufacturing defect. I assume you are replacing all 4.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, all four ball joints are being replaced, still waiting for two of them. The ball joint will be analysed. I don't know what else could have caused this failure.