Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Steering Wheel Vibration

Ok, any ideas...I did a search....I have a annoying steering wheel vibration ...not violent or dangerous and I can live with it if I have to, but....the tires, stock 15" have been road force balanced (9.5 on a scale of 10) and inflated to the recommended 18 psi cold....vibration occurs around 65 to 70...doesn't seem to get any worse at higher speeds.....I read people in here that have NO ...that is ZERO vibration... and I have also read that it is a "Superformance thing". Car has 2000 miles. Is there a shop in the Pacific Northwest that is the best at fixing this ? Steering Damper ? Thanks in advance for any advice..
Old 06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I'm running the Yoko's and haven't experienced vibration on my SPF. Was the car professionally aligned when you took delivery of it?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Bart I had exactly the same thing on a LoneStar! Vibrations would start at around 65-70 and I couldn't "drive through" them. I DID have my alignment done professionally AND I had the wheels fully balanced after I had finished the build.

I agree with Doug about checking your alignment, BUT after 1000 miles of frustrated driving, I finally took the front tires/wheels to have them REBALANCED. The local tire place COMPLETELY screwed THAT up (another story, they had to replace both front tires for free for me!!!!) BUT after the second balancing, the problem has gone away COMPLETELY!

Good luck

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

This was covered at length a couple of years ago. It was determined that certain brands of tires were not "Round", and had radial runout which was unable to be corrected without changing tire brands. Our cars (in general) are more prone to this because of their light weight, undampened steel U joints used in the steering columns, solid steering wheels, and often times the use of Heim joints or metallic bushings at the pivot points and shock absorber mountings throughout the suspension. Its the "Nature of the Breeed".
Many of the cars use a Mustang II type front spindles. When combined with knock off adapters and width wheels we typically use, the scrub radius is put in a very unfavorable spot.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 06-25-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
I'm running the Yoko's and haven't experienced vibration on my SPF. Was the car professionally aligned when you took delivery of it?
...Yes, it was aligned, but I haven't checked it. I am under the impression that aligment will cause uneven tire wear and some directional pull but not vibration in the steering wheel but I am no expert..
Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Bart...what brand of tires are you running on?

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The dealer sez the tires are as good as BFG's get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
This was covered at length a couple of years ago. It was determined that certain brands of tires were not "Round", and had radial runout which was unable to be corrected without changing tire brands. Our cars (in general) are more prone to this because of their light weight, undampened steel U joints used in the steering columns, solid steering wheels, and often times the use of Heim joints or metallic bushings at the pivot points and shock absorber mountings throughout the suspension. Its the "Nature of the Breeed".
Apparently the force balancer indicated that the tires and rims were fine..
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The stock Superformance issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynMeek View Post
Bart...what brand of tires are you running on?
BFG Radial 255 60 15 on the front
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

i run goodyear billboards and i have the same vibration. only at that speed. i found alot of it is road surface. but still vib. on smooth as glass, just not as much. been pro. alianed and balanced. i just go alittle faster or slower. next might try balance weights on outside of wheel, but looks like s%$t.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

"try balance weights on outside of wheel", It's a necessary evil if you want to improve things. But.... It ain't no big thang............

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE ROUSH427 TRI POWER
Not Ranked     
Default steering shake

Bart, I had the same problem with my spf , 2585. I originally had the factory Eagle gt II's on the 15 inch rims and all was fine.I then replaced them with pse 17" and michelin 275's in the front and 335's in the rear. Then I gained a vibration at the 65-70 range, if I accelerate past that point , it goes away. Sounds like the same condition as you have. I know the allignment and everything else is fine, as it did not shake with the factory ones on it. I am going to road force balance them soon, and if that doesnt help, just deal with it I guess. good luck,
Marty
Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth....Mazda Miatas had a similar (identical actually) problem. The explanation was "tire construction method" (the way the belts are overlapped where they begin and end) that made some (mfg's) tires very bad. I won't swear to it but my recollection is that Dunlop's construction technique minimized the problem. It worked for me.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Over the years this subject has been beaten to death. It's not balance, it's not alignment, it's the tires. Most tires are not dynamically and/or dimensionally round. This and the fact that most Cobras do not come with a "rag joint" leaves many of us with a vibration at about 65MPH. In my case it comes and goes and is different in hot weather than it is in cold weather. I reduced it a bunch just by replacing my T/As with Yokos.

I worked in R&D for a major tire company for many years, what I'm telling you is more than opinion.

Bob
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

I had this same problem...I put balancing beads(like the semi's run). Problem went away.I have used them on my F350 dually for the last 3 sets of tires. Never have to balance the tires!!! Also put them all 8 tires on my 27' gooseneck flatbed trailer(was getting a vibration that telegraphed back to the tow vehicle) and took care of the problem. I also gain about 20,000 miles in wear on the dually. I just put a new set of boots on my wifes Mountainere and put the beads in them also(18" Coopers).
Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Bart,

I have BFG's on 15" rims on mine, and have zero vibration. I think you can narrow your problem down to tires, balancing or alignment. If the balancing and alignment check out, that only leaves the tires.

This is assuming that there is not a problem with your steering column etc., but too many SPF's do not have this issue for it to be design related, otherwise all of them would have it.

Good luck tracking it down.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Aligment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
Bart,

I have BFG's on 15" rims on mine, and have zero vibration. I think you can narrow your problem down to tires, balancing or alignment. If the balancing and alignment check out, that only leaves the tires.

This is assuming that there is not a problem with your steering column etc., but too many SPF's do not have this issue for it to be design related, otherwise all of them would have it.

Good luck tracking it down.
I think your point is right on. It isn't a necessary evil since most or many do not have the problem. I do not understand how a aligment problem could cause a steering wheel vibration ?? I am about out of the cheap solutions. I will take it to a different tire dealer and go thru the process again...
Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

If you were close by I would swap tires and wheels with you to see if that eliminated the problem.

Any members near by you can do that with?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I had the problem with BFG T/A radials. They were our of round. I had the tires shaved and that fixed the problem. I now have Yoko Avids and no shake.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Remember the tire balance machines are only as good as the users!!!!! You could hand over a submarine to me and I could not sink it, that does not mean it is a bad submarine it just means I am to stupid to use it.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Remember the tire balance machines are only as good as the users!!!!!
Exactly!! And who is usually doing the tire changes and balancing - the FNG who works there (F'ng New Guy). You hardly ever get someone that really knows what they are doing.