Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
Exactly!! And who is usually doing the tire changes and balancing - the FNG who works there (F'ng New Guy). You hardly ever get someone that really knows what they are doing.
The guy that knows what he is doing usually gravitates to the alignment rack.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am so proud of my analogy but bartruff1 pm'd me and said he couldn't sink a fu*(ing submarine either. I have been laughing for 20 minutes!!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I am so proud of my analogy but bartruff1 pm'd me and said he couldn't sink a fu*(ing submarine either. I have been laughing for 20 minutes!!!!
Sinking it is not the problem. Getting it back to the surface is the important part.
ErikinSC likes this.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1235
Not Ranked     

I have the same vibration at 65 to 70. Changed tires from Yokos to Nittos, 4 wheel alignment, road forced balanced on a friends Hunter 9700 putting weights on the inside and outside of rim. I have 17" rims and have tried
a set of 15" with Goodyears from a friends car that does not have the vibration and mine still had it. The vibration was much less with the weights added to the outside but is still there right at cruising speed. There has to be a solution somewhere.
Superformance #1235
460/T5
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I had 17" 275/45 Goodyear's FI Supercar tires on the front of mine. I bent one of the wheels, had it fixed and it was fine. When those wore out, I spent a $$$$ on a new set of Michelin Pilots. The original shop did the road force balance. I had a horrible vibration at the 60 to 75 mph range. Took them off and back to the shop. Another guy did it and checked the wheels tires etc. Still the same problem. So I took them off again and took them to a local performance shop that does a lot of work on cobras. They did the road force balance again, spun the tires on the wheels etc. Still had the front end vibration. So they had me bring the car in so they could balance the fronts tires on the car. Problem solved after a lot of work. It wasn't cheap to balance them on the car since it was at the regular shop rate, but it was worth it.
Now if I take the front tires off, I have to mark then to make sure I put them back in the same spot.
Scott
ErikinSC likes this.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

This is getting far too complicated.
The sinking submarine made me think....
Steering wheel vibration ........ change the steering wheel........... =)
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

ah yes Jody...what a WONDERFULLY constructive suggestion...ROFL. BTW, are you coming boating with Tug and me next week?

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 06-26-2008 at 09:12 PM..
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2773 Ford Racing 427W
Not Ranked     

Bart , Sounds like your B.F.'s have to much side wall runout . If so they need to be replaced. #2773 Jerry
Old 06-27-2008, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default This ground has really been plowed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Sinking it is not the problem. Getting it back to the surface is the important part.
Silverback, there is more stuff in here on this subject than I can comprehend. Do you know of a place in the NW where I can get the tires balanced on the car ?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Depending on where you live not everything is easily accesible. But the best balance would be where 1) Road force wheel assembly, 2) mount wheel assembly on car and balance on the car.

#2 seams to be a dying art. I am bewildered, I have no vibration at all with the BFG ta in fact I did not what Dynamic to hammer any weights on the outside so I had the car deleverd without any balancing and it did not vibrate. After being bored I did have them balanced and they only required .25 oz per wheel. Only one tire needed to be reoriented on the rim via the road force balance.

Dont - Contact Vintage (SPF dealer/installer) in Humble, he will know where to send you to get your tires balanced and is a super nice guy. Helped me a bunch with registration.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Roush1
My brothers truck got better gas mileage pulling my cobra in your trailer than I get just driving the cobra. What mpg are you getting with your Roush? Just got done dumping 8 quartz of oil in including the filter, I do not know what ape put the filter on but he needs to go back to the zoo, LOL!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Road Force thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Depending on where you live not everything is easily accesible. But the best balance would be where 1) Road force wheel assembly, 2) mount wheel assembly on car and balance on the car.

#2 seams to be a dying art. I am bewildered, I have no vibration at all with the BFG ta in fact I did not what Dynamic to hammer any weights on the outside so I had the car deleverd without any balancing and it did not vibrate. After being bored I did have them balanced and they only required .25 oz per wheel. Only one tire needed to be reoriented on the rim via the road force balance.

Dont - Contact Vintage (SPF dealer/installer) in Humble, he will know where to send you to get your tires balanced and is a super nice guy. Helped me a bunch with registration.
We have done the road force stuff 3 times now, they always say the last guy screwed up and it is all better now and it aint... Even replaced one of the front tires. I will try the "on vehicle" next before I start the mechical expensive stuff..I don't understand why you have been so fricking lucky...it is just not fair !!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is something funny going on, I hate to suggest this but are the pins that drive your wheels tight? I am 99% sure they are and you need a giant allen wrench to check. I would guess your mechanic checked this.

Another point, your wheels are driven by the pins not the center hole, if your center hole where they balance the tire is not perfectly in the center of the tire your balance will be off, once again another advantage to having them balanced on the car.

I get vibration in my Lexus at 65mph, tires, wheels and alignment are straight, after 50K miles I just live with it, in all honesty for as much as I drive the Lexus I would rather have the vibration in the Cobra!!

one sure way to eliminate any vibration is to have the tires shaved. Once again a dying art, this ensures they are pefectly round and you would be suprised, they barely remove any rubber at all. I wonder if you go out burn down the tires would that constitute shaving them LOL, needless to say you would have to mount the front on the rear. Just joking do not do that!!!

I know on my bdr i reduced the vibration but never eliminated it, swore i would never have bfg ta again but they look good.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Silverback, there is more stuff in here on this subject than I can comprehend. Do you know of a place in the NW where I can get the tires balanced on the car ?
Sorry, that is one I cannot help you with.

If you like, I can check with some of my buddies and see if they are aware of some place that does it.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Yes, please do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Sorry, that is one I cannot help you with.

If you like, I can check with some of my buddies and see if they are aware of some place that does it.
That would be much appreciated...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

I just got new tires, fully balanced, and my wheel still vibrates a bit at 70 mph or so. A light car with a tight suspension and no power steering will have some vibration.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I am going to find it...or get another car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
I just got new tires, fully balanced, and my wheel still vibrates a bit at 70 mph or so. A light car with a tight suspension and no power steering will have some vibration.
Some don't and mine won't or it will be gone....I will be through screwing with the tires soon and then I will go thru the entire front end ...bushings....tie rods ...whatever...and lastly install rag joints with vibration dampers...my fricking jeep is smoother than the SP...
Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bad alignment won't cause vibration. Focus on the rotor/wheel/tire. Take the wheel off and zero a gauge on one of the pins. Rotate to the next pin and check for delta change from zero pin. Check both wheels. If OK, check run-out and roundness of the rotor. If OK, mount the wheels and check run-out and roundness on the rim with the gauge. If OK, check for run-out and roundness on the tire. Poor bumpsteer will also amplify vibration. If all checks out OK then suspect balance.

If I remember correctly, SPFs use Vintage Wheels? They're a very good quality wheel. Perhaps not so good quality rotors? What spindle and rotor does SPF use?

Last edited by TButtrick; 06-29-2008 at 03:45 AM..
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tbuttrick

A short cut would be to take the car for a spin, jack it up in the front, put a piece of masking tape around the circumference of the tire in the middle and check the run out of the whole assembly. I beleive the GM spec is .030".

He had his rim and tires road force balance and they can easily check the run out when they do that, what needs to happen is someone swap front wheel assemblies and see what happens. Any spf owners in his area?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Bart, my car always had a tendency to vibrate in the front end at highway speeds. Fortunately, we have a precision balance / alignment shop here in Atlanta called Gran Turismo East. The process takes a while and ain't real cheap, but they spend time balancing the tires on a machine, then they put them on the car (front only as mine has IRS) and speed balanced them by feel. One tire was out of round and was beyond shaving. They had to shift the tire location on the rim. I wouldn't let them put weights on the outside of my Compomotives and they still got them right. I later had the rubber replaced all the way around, ride height adjsted etc. and the balance from the shop REALLY sucked. It rode like a stage coach. I took her back to Gran Turismo and they smoothed the ride out like glass again. I'm convinced that it's all in the skill of the balancer.