Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Been there done that with the dyno!
Scott
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     
Default Driving Schools

Nantucket you are so right on, we see so many people with "Huge HP" in the DFW area and 95% haven't a clue on how to drive. I really enjoy taking a car with 150 less HP on a road course and walking away from other cars in the twisties lap after lap while running street tires and the big HP boys are on racing slicks. I have to tell you, we have a lady in our DFW group that does come to the track ever chance she gets and my money is on her any day, because she practices. High performance driving needs to be practiced as often as possible. I guess it's one of the things I will never understand, owning a HP car and not being able to drive it to the limit. (except 50 feet at a time). Drivers find a local school in your area and go play, you don't have to go any faster than you are comfortable. Most track day events have instruction, get some. And then when you get into a situation on track or off, your talent gauge will not be OUT. db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Big horse power is nice, but STREERABILITY is nicer! You will be traction limited at some point. Keep the compression within the 'pump gas' range and the cam profile should match your expected cruising rpm, speed. Those are the two keys to maximize enjoyment on the street.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

I have 575 hp from my FE 427 and, well, I would like more! See below:

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech 533
Not Ranked     

One of the posts here suggests you'll lose between 35% and 45% flywheel to rear wheel horse power. Those figures are considerably higher than anything we've seen in the race cars we have built.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE ROUSH427 TRI POWER
Not Ranked     

Maxum101.....

Get The Poly Mounts, I Just Put Them On For That Reason And Like Them Alot, Stops Alot Of Driveline Vibration Also.
Brakes Are Fine, Swaybars Might Be A Upgrade, I Havent Done That Yet, I Have A Roush 427, And Like It Very Much.

Blue427
Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Drive Line Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red S/C View Post
One of the posts here suggests you'll lose between 35% and 45% flywheel to rear wheel horse power. Those figures are considerably higher than anything we've seen in the race cars we have built.
Absolutely right, I have seen between 15 and 17% loss depending on the transmission make and drive line configuration. The major reason for low rear wheel numbers is that the engine never made the claimed HP at the flywheel.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmiles442 View Post
Idon't know Voss. I put the Olthoff sway bars and poly bushings and it makes a HUGE difference in handling!
Just my $.02

My car was set-up by Olthoff, but now that it is on the west coast Eric Voss has done some work on it for me. He is in SoCal and all he does is Cobra's, GT40's and Coupes. Great guy and does great work.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     

Horsepower's a little like sex...

...if a little is good....a lot's GOT to be better...!

WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red S/C View Post
Stock/standard exhausts will drive the losses up that high.

You can't expect to get good rwhp numbers with low losses from the crank without a special effort put into the exhaust.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Powerful brakes are good too to go along with the HP and speed....dont forget about those.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin_Freddie View Post
Horsepower's a little like sex...

...if a little is good....a lot's GOT to be better...!

Horsepower is sex !
I would much rather die from too much than die from not enough.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default HP Losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra View Post
Stock/standard exhausts will drive the losses up that high.

You can't expect to get good rwhp numbers with low losses from the crank without a special effort put into the exhaust.
If you don't dyno with the equivalent or entire vehicle exhaust system you are not going to get accurate in-car results and a correct tune. I know that is difficult but not impossible especially with the outside systems used. I have dynoed all my engines this way and it translates well to rear wheel numbers IE 15 to 17% loss. The fuel air ratios, cam timing and ignition timing are also much closer to ideal. You could also do most of the tuning on a chassis dyno but changing cam timing can be a challenge in the chassis.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default dyno numbers

I recently had my BDR Roush 402SR/TW/TK0600 on the Dyno at Performance Engineering. The dyno run that came with the engine from Roush showed 486 HP/487 TQ (at the flywheel). The PE dyno run showed 394 HP/383 TQ at the wheels.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

aa4v - I've got the same set-up in my SPF, so that gives me a pretty good idea of what my HP and TQ is at the rear wheels. Thanks for posting that.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech 533
Not Ranked     

aa4v - those numbers would be very close to the numbers we have seen. The engine (533 dual 750's) I currently have did 696 hp and when we do the chassis dyno we're looking for around 570 to 580. Sidepipes and headers are a big part of it. We used 2" pipes on the headers and 4" on the sidepipes with the spiral inserts which we had great success with in the past.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Maxum 101 (and others)

I'm wanting more power also. Currently, with this engine, I have 400 @ the wheels. So, the numbers I have in mind is apx. 550 to the ground or 600 + at the flywheel. What I would like to bring to attention on this thread is, yes, high HP/TQ is just plain kick in the pants fun, and like I said, wanting more.

But, how much do we want to suffer in gas mileage vs the power we crave ?

I get apx. between 10-16 mpg city/hwy, depending on how much fun I have with the throttle.

With you guys having the 482 cu. or so, and having say,....500 + RWHP, how is your mileage ? (please be honest)

If it drops down to 8 mpg, I would have more serious thinking to do.

Maxum 101- have you thought about this issue too ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 08-15-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default You got to be kidding me!

MPG what is that? The EPA sticker must have been lost in transit. I have never even tried to determine it. Will it stop me from going somewhere? No. I try to find away to take the car everwhere I need to go. My wife said I even make stuff up so I can take the car. I own a replicate because I want to drive it. I don't own an original to look at, I want the full experience. I am surly not worry about operating cost.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket427 View Post
MPG what is that? The EPA sticker must have been lost in transit. I have never even tried to determine it. Will it stop me from going somewhere? No. I try to find away to take the car everwhere I need to go. My wife said I even make stuff up so I can take the car. I own a replicate because I want to drive it. I don't own an original to look at, I want the full experience. I am surly not worry about operating cost.
Well said.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I do agree. Six other cars and I went to Kansas and back on the Hot Rod Power Tour. When we were planning on going, we all agreed to not worry about gas prices, and have a @hit load of fun, and we did. It was a blast and were going next year.

Come on guys, it has matter to at some point, especially with todays cost of gas.

What would you rather do, stay home and save up money for a while because your cobra gets 8 mpg and sit there wishing you could drive it or go anytime you want because you get say,...15 mpg.

If I still had my Pro-Street Camaro, I would not even think, about driving as much as I do the Cobra. It actually did get 8 mpg. That's one, reason I sold it to build the cobra.

(out of curiosity, what does your 462 get, honestly) ?

Like I said, at some point, you have to say,.....enuff z enuff.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 08-15-2008 at 03:15 PM..