Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     
Default R/T Suspension Mounts

Some input for anyone thinking about this kit.

The instructions warn that "A qualified person familiar with aftermarket automotive systems & modifications is required to install this kit," but I went ahead and did it anyway.

It took just over one hour from wheels off to wheels back on, and I had a very stubborn spinner to deal with. The instructions warn that the holes might not line up perfectly, and give tips on how to deal with that situation. I may have been lucky because my mounts fit like a glove.

Here's what one of them looks like on SPF #237 (8mm bolts).

EDIT: I originally posted that I thought the kit was "pricey" but after experiencing Randy's outstanding service level, combined with the excellent quality of the components and instructions, I've edited this post to state that this kit is a steal at twice the price.

Thanks Randy,

Chuck

Last edited by vanoochka; 08-16-2008 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: changed
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Shoot, I think I paid more for my Steeda differential cover brace, and that can't even hold a candle against the superior quality, craftsmanship and materials that go into the R/T shock tower bracket. Even the hardware is top notch. Randall hand grinds and polishes these things before they go out for powder coating. Who else do you know puts that much effort into a part that few will ever even see?!? The dude is amazing.

-Dean #747
Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Got to agree with Dean on this one.... For an upgrade that may save your butt, there is no better value... Shoot... I spend way more partying with friends

BTW... If you have a Superformance and have not seen the Superformance Service Bulletin, you would be very wise to check it out.

http://superformance.org/bulletins/S...-080718tsb.pdf

Craig
Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your link is not working, is there anyway you can cut and paste. I would hope if it is a serious issue my dealer would contact. I lost my passwork and username months ago to the super secretative SCOF site.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Link worked for me.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It appears there are no crush sleves in the tube that the new bracket bolts to. Only 1/2 the problem might be fixed
Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

There has been a group of owners (including the person who did the design and manufacturing work for the new mounts) working with SPF and the dealers on this shock bracket maintenance program and upgrade (the upgrade pictured above eliminates or minimizes the need for meaintenance). The dealers were just informed a few days ago and are trying to understand the issue themselves. RAther than begin a storm of speculation and second guessing, please give them ample time to reach out to their customers with a complete explanation and the various options (there are other options for this although I personally think the new mount is by far the best). There is no need to blow this out of proportion and Lance (owner of SPF) is taking a very responsible approach to addressing this. I am not sure how complete the data base of owners is since some of these cars have changed hands at least once and SPF has no way to track the resales. They also do not have email addresses for every purchaser and so snail mail and telephone calls seem to be the best option for SPF and the dealers. That said, they are making every effort to reach everyone and then allow the owner to choose what they feel is the best maintenance plan for them. Frankly, I am not even sure that all of the dealers are fully aware yet (they have been notified by SPF but their notification may be buried on a desk or still in unopened emails). I know that some owners have already been reached by their dealer but only in the last couple of days. It has been confirmed that Dynamic and D&M are already reaching out to people (that is NOT to say that the other dealers are not....I just cannot say for sure). I hope that everyone would allow them time to address this in a way that the owners benefit and not defuse or retard their efforts with premature reactions. In the interim, if anyone wants an upper rear shock bracket that is state of the art and a thing of hidden beauty, then they can be acquired as stated above. Or just call your dealer. If they seem to be in the dark, then they can call Lance and get the answers they need.

Gary
Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

Mr Bruce....If you are talking about the bracket upgrades, they are way over engineered and definitely fixed.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bulletin indicates that the design was changed after SPF #1670. Has anyone seen the symptoms describe in the bulletin in a post 1670 car? It sounds like the bolt is the primary concern on the later cars.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #2117, blown 4.6
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
The bulletin indicates that the design was changed after SPF #1670. Has anyone seen the symptoms describe in the bulletin in a post 1670 car? It sounds like the bolt is the primary concern on the later cars.
I'm not technical, but after seeing the quality of the upgrade and the relatively modest cost, I went ahead and installed it on SPF #2117.

But I also installed a fuel cell, a better drive shaft retaining system, and am installing a passenger side roll bar. Part of the fun of having this kind of car, for me, is making the little mods. And I do like to use the car on track days.
JamesW
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Sorry to bring back this old post, but rather than start a new one on the same topic...

As a new SPF owner, the problem with the rear shock tower mounts was only just brought to my attention yesterday (thanks Blas). I had my car up on a hoist yesterday and noticed that the stock brackets are not 90 degrees to the frame as they should be, which suggests that I should probably change them for the Cobra Valley units.

My questions are:
  • Is Superformance LLC (Lance Stander) treating this as a "goodwill warranty" repair and fixing it at his expense? Or compensating owners for their costs?
  • If so, do you think he would do likewise for his Canadian customers, now that the Superformance Canada operation has gone belly up?
  • At around what point are the original brackets failing? My car (#1336) is seven years old and has about 9500 miles on it. What symptoms should I look for, besides a catastrophic failure of the part?
Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as I know, there has been no goodwill reimbursement for the cost of the upgrade ($249.). I don't think it's possible to determine the mileage that a failure might occur, since driving habits (i.e. some people track their cars) and road conditions vary.

They did upgrade the mount at chassis 1670, but many are still upgrading to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Sorry to bring back this old post, but rather than start a new one on the same topic...

As a new SPF owner, the problem with the rear shock tower mounts was only just brought to my attention yesterday (thanks Blas). I had my car up on a hoist yesterday and noticed that the stock brackets are not 90 degrees to the frame as they should be, which suggests that I should probably change them for the Cobra Valley units.

My questions are:
  • Is Superformance LLC (Lance Stander) treating this as a "goodwill warranty" repair and fixing it at his expense? Or compensating owners for their costs?
  • If so, do you think he would do likewise for his Canadian customers, now that the Superformance Canada operation has gone belly up?
  • At around what point are the original brackets failing? My car (#1336) is seven years old and has about 9500 miles on it. What symptoms should I look for, besides a catastrophic failure of the part?
Thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
They did upgrade the mount at chassis 1670, but many are still upgrading to be sure.
As did I on #2592. My factory mounts showed no signs of moving or bending, but I liked Randy's stronger design.

Besides, aren't we always looking for something new to buy for our toy?

Rodger
Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I had my car up on a hoist yesterday and noticed that the stock brackets are not 90 degrees to the frame as they should be, which suggests that I should probably change them for the Cobra Valley units.

[*]At around what point are the original brackets failing? My car (#1336) is seven years old and has about 9500 miles on it. What symptoms should I look for, besides a catastrophic failure of the part?[/list]Thanks.
If that bracket is not positioned properly as you stated, please purchase and install the uprated brackets right now. In fact everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to install this upgrade. My car showed no symtoms of fatigue, however after considering the consequences of failure I did the upgrade. You invested a lot in your car. This is a no brainer.

We are fortunate to have this super high quality upgrade available.

Jack
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Remember to also check your shock bushings for signs of crushing. Especially on the older AVO shocks (yellow). Confirm that the steel hoop that surrounds the shock bushing "is not" and "has not" rubbed against the lower rear control arm. Inspect the hoop for cracks, etc. I believe Energy Suspensions makes an acceptable replacement Poly bushing for the shock. The Bilsteins are designed different.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
If that bracket is not positioned properly as you stated, please purchase and install the uprated brackets right now. In fact everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to install this upgrade. My car showed no symtoms of fatigue, however after considering the consequences of failure I did the upgrade. You invested a lot in your car. This is a no brainer.

We are fortunate to have this super high quality upgrade available.

Jack
I agree with you Jack. You are definitely on borrowed time if you've got a chassis that is pre-1670 and haven't done the upgrade. After inspecting the part several times, I have seen no problems/symptoms after 6000 miles on 2613. That being said, I am planning on doing the upgrade at the end of the driving season.

I've brought this up before and will bring it up again. If the basic design is still deficient on the latest cars being sold (Now pushing 3000), then SPF should either re-design the part or provide an upgrade kit for each car sold.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

The brackets on my car do not show signs of distortion/twisting, but are just canted slightly upward from 90 degrees suggesting that the problem is only just beginning to form. Nonetheless I think I will order the replacement brackets and have them installed as soon as I'm able. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with Doug that, since this is basically a design flaw, Superformance LLC should provide owners with some type of upgrade kit or compensation as a goodwill gesture. I realize this would cost a lot; however, it might be a small price to pay to maintain their product's excellent reputation and value in the marketplace.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys.

The brackets on my car do not show signs of distortion/twisting, but are just canted slightly upward from 90 degrees suggesting that the problem is only just beginning to form. Nonetheless I think I will order the replacement brackets and have them installed as soon as I'm able. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with Doug that, since this is basically a design flaw, Superformance LLC should provide owners with some type of upgrade kit or compensation as a goodwill gesture. I realize this would cost a lot; however, it might be a small price to pay to maintain their product's excellent reputation and value in the marketplace.
Superformance has a technical bulletin about this issue. If your brackets are OK, it basically says you can replace the bolts with proper bolts and you are done. Cheap and easy. No big deal. Since that seems to be your situation, go for it if you like.

The brackets which you can purchase are truly magnificent works of art. They are a great, reasonably priced upgrade to your car should you choose to go with them.

Jack
Old 07-18-2009, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I don't think it's really fair to call it a design flaw...
With close to 3000 cars built, the problem has been seen on very very few cars. Failures could probably be tied also to how the car was driven by all its owners, maintenance, tire selection (like drag radials) and driving style habits...Better to consider it money well spent on a overall safety viewpoint and an important maintenance item to periodically check, like many items on all mfr's cars…or just an upgrade...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just had the Cobra Valley R/T rear suspension brackets mounted to my car this morning.

The original mounts weren't too bad after all. Both were canted upwards from 90 degrees and the situation was worse on the driver's side, but it was a long way from failure. The bolts weren't too badly bent either, but you sure can see where the problem originates. The OE mounts basically place all the stress on the threaded part of the bolts, which are thinner and weaker, and the R/T mounts are clearly well engineered and very strong.

I should be good for years now.