Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     
Default Neater wiring under the hood?

Hi all,

I've decided to do some fall cleaning on SPF 023, and I'd like to make the wiring neater under the hood. It's clustered together pretty well and covered in tubing, but I'd like to get it off the frame rails and up under the fenders where it won't show.

Anybody have suggestions for how to secure it? I guess the challenge is to be able to put it up there in a way that it can still be accessible when necessary.

I also need some new floor mats....any of you early SPF owners have a recommendation?

Thanks.....Bill
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Hey Bill,
Black Zip-Ties keep the wires together well, and they also make a black self-stick anchor plate that is made for them. That way you could stick them to the fiberglass and not drill any new holes. Not too sure how the sticky pad does with the heat though...There is also a split plastic tube that is readily available to bundle and conceal the wiring. Did you change out the engine on the SPF ?

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Bill,
The double-sided tape on the zip-tie anchors won't stand the heat and will fall down. I scraped the foam off mine and epoxied them under my fenders. (not easy) Be careful you don't use too much glue or the zip-ties won't go through anchor.
Bill Stradtner
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     

Here is a link to some nice wire cover material. It comes in different diameters and lengths.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294805739
Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info, guys....I'll look into those options.

After going back and forth on the idea, Blas, I've pretty much decided to leave the 289 under the hood. It's got plenty of power for the driving I do....and I think it's more appropriate to leave her as original as possible. I have the original receipt for the engine, and since it was originally installed by Charlie Ponstein, I kind of like the idea of keeping it that way. It just feels right to me, given that it's kind of a special car....at least among Superformance enthusiasts.

I'm just trying to keep it running well (it is!) and looking as good as it can for a 14 year old car. I'll do some paint touch up, maybe replace the rusty water pump with an aluminum one, neaten things up a bit, replace anything that breaks, but keep it as original-looking as possible.

By the way, I lost one of the stainless steel trim rings from my tail light. Anybody know what the original prototype lights came from and where I might get a replacement ring?

Thanks again, Bill

p.s. Franklin, your KM488 is a beauty.....wanna trade? ;-))

Last edited by mudhenk27; 09-11-2008 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: add p.s.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

There is also velcro. i use the 3M unistrap. http://www.fastenation.com/class.php...umbs=145,269,1
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,
Contact Mike Evangelo at Dynamic MS in Ross Ohio. I'm sure he can help with the missing ring. Is it the box shaped or the round? I have a spare round ring. Looks similar to the front indicators.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the contact name, Blas.

The ring is round. My car has dual round tail/turn signal lights, and they are the same as the front turn signal lights except for color.

The plastic lens fits into a black rubber grommet which also has a groove for the trim ring. When assembled, it looks like an outer black ring, silver trim ring, then the lens.

Bill

Last edited by mudhenk27; 09-12-2008 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: add info
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

send me a photo if you can...I'll compare it to the pieces I have at home...they are yours if they match....
Blas
(email is below)

Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

SPF Floormats - designed for dropped floor version

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=334

I take my floormats out every year and go over it with the Hoover Rug cleaner - the one that uses the cleaning solution and hot water. I am amazed at how they clean up and return to a dark black instead of a shade of dirty gray.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I used the zip-tie anchors with the double sided tape and, yes, the tape failed when the underhood temperatures came up. So, I scraped off the tape and tried JB Weld. It, too, failed under hot conditions. I next tried Liquid Nails construction adhesive to fasten the anchors to the underside of the fenders. It has worked flawlessly for several years now.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Here's another source for wire and hose protection that can handle high temps.

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sc&cid=10

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-12-2008, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all of you! It's great to get so much help.

I checked the floormats, but it looks like the driver-side has a cutout to go into the drop. My car doesn't have that dropped section.....the floor is flat.

Has anyone seen mats that would be a good fit for my flat floor?

Bill
Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the early cars did not have the dropped footboxes. Once again, Mike at Dynamic is the man to ask as to where to get the correct mats...