Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2726 MkIII Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     
Default MKIII vs Corvette

why is a superformance mk III as or even more expensive than let's say a Corvette Z06 when the latter is technically much more advance.

surely economies of scale play a role.....however is the mk III's price justified as a roller at 40k ? with an engine like i chose for mine Roush 427IR the car cost just shy of 100K.....justifiable ?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Aaaah, the age old question-------is it worth it? I agonized over the decision to buy my MK lll for an extended period of time. After many months of soul searching it came down to the realization that very few car purchases, save those that are classic collectibles, or one-of-a-kind, are economically justifiable. In addition, I would be hard pressed to say the buyer of a $190,000 Ferrari, a $200,000 Lambo., a $300,000 Bentley, etc. would be any more, or less, happy than the buyer of a $75,000 MK lll. The bottom line is what you like, what you want and what you are willing to pay. Me, I love my MK lll and couldn't be happier. My only regret was taking too long to make the decision to buy!

Harold
Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oh, i agree that it's a great car. i am talking price vs quality of chassis and finishing.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

it is not justifiable, the corvette is twice the automobile of any cobra, both in performance and technology, as a matter of fact you could add any number of even less expensive cars available now to that list, but it is not apples to apples. Cobras are what they are, and the price of admission is steep, however, to spend 100K on a new SPF seems silly when plenty of like new used ones are available for 45K or less. the same for corvettes too.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Most people don't have a Cobra because the want technology. A big part of a Cobra's appeal is that it's raw and powerful in an almost primative way. I sure wouldn't spend 100k on a Cobra when there's superb examples for a LOT less. As far as frame quality, I don't know about SPF. I'm not going to open up a debate about which manufacturer has the best frame, but lots of them are far superior to most production cars.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intouch View Post
why is a superformance mk III as or even more expensive than let's say a Corvette Z06 when the latter is technically much more advance.
SPF is expensive due to low production volume which drives up the cost. They are literally hand built like a Ferrari.

Corvettes, which are much more technically advanced, are relatively cheap due to larger production volumes, and the fact that GM sees the Corvette as a promotional vehicle, so they keep the price lower and never discount as much as they do on other tinker toys they produce.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33344 with original bore 427 SO.
Not Ranked     

Having owned a multitude of Corvettes over the years, I finally bought my childhood dream car....a big block Cobra. Sure it is raw, loud, and you wouldnt want to commute in it, but it has attitude. New base Corvettes (not the Z06 or ZR1 of which I've driven) have no soul. (BTW I am a GM engineering manager.)

Around Detroit Corvettes are a dime a dozen, no one pays any attention to them. My Cobra gets thumbs up anywhere I go.

I agree the best bet is a used Cobra. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

not that i am contemplating a corvette.....that's actually one of the last cars i'd ever consider.

i am just thinking that my mk III ended being quite pricey and i am trying to understand if there is real value in it. i certainly do not regret my decision i am more inclined to find out about quality vs price.

my other curent cars are all porsches. 955 Cayenne Turbo, 997 Turbo and a 997 GT2. pics attached.

so i am pretty covered in the sports car department. however, the cobra was a childhood dream and i just wanted to mak it come true.

unfortunately, i had to pay another 108k in local import tax and the car is currently clearing customs and then geting registered. hope to have her in 2 days.
attached are pics of her while being shipped from the states
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

roush 427IR 8-stack injection
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Parked my SPF in a lot next to a new Vette. When I came out of the store there was a crowd around the SPF, the Vette was ignored. I had a c-4 Vette for 20 years. Sure was boring compared to the Cobra.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intouch View Post
unfortunately, i had to pay another 108k in local import tax and the car is currently clearing customs and then geting registered. hope to have her in 2 days.
attached are pics of her while being shipped from the states
$108K in import taxes? WOW!

So that pushes your investment in the SPF close to $200K? That's one expensive toy!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
$108K in import taxes? WOW!

So that pushes your investment in the SPF close to $200K? That's one expensive toy!

unfortunate, but true........
Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Wouldn't it be a lot less if you didn't import it from the USA but instead South Africa???
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default c vsc

Egypt, NA must be in NJ for those kind of taxes
Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

enjoy the cobra, it will be a nice addition to your collection. I am considering a turbo porsche, how does it compare to the GT2?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Why? Same reason a hand-wound Panerai with no complications is worth more than a Seiko that can calculate the circumference of a knat's sphinter.

I own a 2005 C6 Z51 with nearly 80k on the OD that I've driven for work throughout California...through snow, down dirt roads, in high heat and in stop and go. Returned me 24mpg for the entire year of 2007. I never baby this thing...lucky enough to drive the greatest two-lane roads in California on a regular basis. I can shut off the traction/anti-skid controls and take circular on-ramps sideways before merger, or sit back and listen to the Bose system in a quiet cruise. Even with the stock engine, it'll match everyday Porsches, most Ferraris and the A-M offerings in the 0-60 and braking scales, and stay up (or exceed) them up to 190mph. All for the $53k I paid some Turkish fellow several years ago.

An assolutely amazing tour de force by any measure.

And then there's the Kirkham...no weather gear, hot or cold as mutha nature dictates, a bit cramped, the only music offering is whatever I may be humming inside my head. Sucks gas at about 7-8mpg on a downhill stretch (if I'm lucky)...

I think of it as a right-hand/left-hand thing. The right hand alway feels comfortable and gets the job done efficiently, but every now and then I like the kinky feel of the left hand.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Last edited by Jamo; 11-01-2008 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-01-2008, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am ambidexterous, I feel I have missed out
Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

How much of the 'vette is shared with other lines in GM, ie, Caddy uses the frame for their XLR, the motors are used in 'vettes, caddy's, Pontiac G8s and soon the Camaro. So, the price for the performance in regards to the 'vette is a bargin. The Superformance has little it shares with other vehicles, so, the expense of development is spread on fewer cars (they've made what...2800-2900 Superformance Cobras so far). For the cost of a motor comparison, look no farther then the ZR1 to see what a fancy motor gets ya...$30K sticker shock compared to the Z06 with almost the same running gear. Whats the old saying, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" is proof of that bargin...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Superfomance Pricing

I want to know how you pay 40,000.00 for a roller and have close to 100,000.00 in a complete turn key car. I need some of that business but can not seem to find it. Good luck
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
I want to know how you pay 40,000.00 for a roller and have close to 100,000.00 in a complete turn key car. I need some of that business but can not seem to find it. Good luck
hey keith, the roller with all the options is more in the 45-47k range. add to that 27k for the engine alone a few bits and pieces here and there + installation and you end up with 95-100k spent on the turn-key car.