Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Owners- Time to Nitpick!

To all SPF Owners:

I'm seriously looking at either an ERA, an SPF, or a BDR in the near future. I'm not looking for a comparison, thats been done to death.

What I would like is for you guys to critique, really nitpick, your car. Everything from the buying experience/ dealer issues & support (no names, just experiences), to maintenance issues, to the little details you've noticed that may not be a problem, but that you've noticed none-the-less.

Where have corners been cut, if any? what would you like to see improved?
No detail is too small, and you know your car best.

Thanks!
-Mark
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up SPF steering wheel vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudicrousSpeed View Post
To all SPF Owners:

I'm seriously looking at either an ERA, an SPF, or a BDR in the near future. I'm not looking for a comparison, thats been done to death.

What I would like is for you guys to critique, really nitpick, your car. Everything from the buying experience/ dealer issues & support (no names, just experiences), to maintenance issues, to the little details you've noticed that may not be a problem, but that you've noticed none-the-less.

Where have corners been cut, if any? what would you like to see improved?
No detail is too small, and you know your car best.

Thanks!
-Mark
That is the only real complaint I have, a 65mph vibration and I do not know the cause, it could be the tires or wheels. The build quality on my car is as good as any car I have owned. My buying experience was a nightmare, but the cause of that is gone. Very happy with the car, no regrets...
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

The steering wheel vibration has been covered in other threads, and has been attributed to out of round tires due to faulty fabrication. I have had no vibration in mine.

The only complaint I would have is the dealer network. Some are more reputable than others, same as any other auto dealership. Don't use distance as a factor when selecting a dealer. Go with who you are comfortable with. The money you spend on travel will be worth the peace of mind, considering the cost of the car.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Overall, I've been very impressed with the quality and performance of my SPF and would highly recommend the car.

So, far just a few minor things (and I'm pretty picky).

- The paint job is excellent, but there are few flaws (few would be able to spot them). Not a big deal since I drive it and am starting to see a little patina on the front end after covering ~5K miles in 18 months.
- The Wilwood remote clutch reservoir is a cheap part that isn't representative of the car. Mine leaked at first, then I replaced it and it's been fine ever since.
- I'm running a 402 Roush, and there is very little clearance between the alternator and the engine compartment. This could probably be resolved with another alternator bracket, but again it's not a huge problem.

The SPF dealer that I worked with was fantastic and they were very responsive regarding the warranty issue that I had with the clutch reservoir.

BTW - Luckily, I have not tire vibration or shaking. Running the Yoko Avids.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Mark, please let me know if you received my e-mail.

Regards,

-Dean #747
Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

I think I would have probably had the same alternator bracket/clutch reservoir issues, but my dealer noted those issues long ago and sources his own fixes for each as part of his delivery. Wayne at Gear6 ( I know, no names, but this guy is great) has a guy that fabricates a different billet alternator bracket and clutch reservoir that solve both issues and look awesome.

I have no vibration, but again, I attribute that to front end picky work on Wayne's part. He has a few guys he trusts to do alignment and engine install and I truly believe you get the advantage of a smaller market dealer. He makes sure there is a reason to get the car from him.

I, too, have a few minor issues with paint, but my wife thinks I am crazy, nobody would ever notice. I don't like the trunk support, but I don't use it that often anyway and have gotten used to dealing with it.

I did have the bulb that lights up the speedo come out of it's hole, but that was very easy to resolve, took about 2 minutes.

The only other issue I have had is that the key socket moves when I start the car. I have not been able to get it tight enough not to rotate, but I haven't spent that much time on it either. I am thinking about a hidden ignition switch for the key anyway and a push-button start. We'll see if that ever gets high enough on the priority list.

Any other complaints I could think of would fall into the category of "if you did not like that, why did you buy that car" kind of category.

Mike
Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
That is the only real complaint I have, a 65mph vibration and I do not know the cause, it could be the tires or wheels.
Road force balance the tires. Not a problem on mine.

The only problem I'm having with my SPF is that the odometer keeps leaping ahead! I actually put more miles on my Cobra in the last 3 years than I have put on my daily driver.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

remote clutch reservoir is a joke!! an insult, to the rest of the car, pathetic two piece design not fit for a funnel.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Car has been fantastic!! No squeaks or rattles. Wonderful installation done by Georgia Hot Rods ( Bought car new from McMichael Motors). Original front Yokos were out of round and were replaced by Tire Rack. Show car fit and finish. Only gripes are cheap hood prop rod, ugly fan motor covers ( bought after market chrome covers that are real nice) and chintsy clutch reservoir.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at this time sold the last one
Not Ranked     

Issues:

-Had to buy aftermarket padded covers for the hinges, knee hit the hinge
-Gas, clutch and brake peddles, vibration will wear out the pin that holds them in place, replaced once on the gas peddle
-Had to buy a "big man's seat" seat, placed me too high and too close to the dash
-At the time that I bought the car there was not enough information as to aftermarket options available, I added on after it was assembled, could have saved some money if those options were available at the time of purchase
-Had to upgrade the exhaust headers to the larger diameter pipes, the ones that came with the car were smaller and did not allow the engine to breathe properly (I believe this has been corrected now)
-You should have the option to purchase different weight springs during the ordering process rather than searching the after market
-There is barely enough room to fit in the license plate between the trunk handle and the light

These issues are really nit picking the car, the comment earlier about purchasing the car from someone you like to deal with is important, follow that advice. I had a very good buying experience when I bought mine and I had a great installer, research this ahead of time will save you a lot of headache. I am selling my SPF due to the state of the economy and I will absolutely buy another one once and if the economy returns, before I get too much older and if I am able to resolve some health issues.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default I have had mine for 5 Years

I work on it, I drive it and I still love it. I have had the engine in and out several more times than I would have liked to but it helps you to know the car better. I have over 8000 miles on it. The techical support from some of the dealers, the Superformance Web site and the owners blog is priceless. The car is safe and well put together. For me it is perfect.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
remote clutch reservoir is a joke!! an insult, to the rest of the car, pathetic two piece design not fit for a funnel.
Well said! Mine didn't bother me enough to shell out the hundred$ to have a 3rd party replace it, but it did bother me enough that I invested $75 and spent two hours replacing it myself.

My SPF is pretty old, so the one or two minor things that catch my attention from time to time have been attended to in later cars.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoochka View Post
Well said! Mine didn't bother me enough to shell out the hundred$ to have a 3rd party replace it, but it did bother me enough that I invested $75 and spent two hours replacing it myself.

My SPF is pretty old, so the one or two minor things that catch my attention from time to time have been attended to in later cars.

Hey Chuck - Is your car still in California or did you ship it East? I thought that you mentioned that you might keep it in Florida and spend some time there.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

I owned Superformance 2040. There were no vibrations at any speed between 0 and 145 mph, but not sure what would happen after 145 mph. I liked my car quite a bit, but changed a few things to keep up with a higher HP engine.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

I bought my car new a little over 1 year ago and have put approximately 5700 miles on it. During that time I've noticed the following: ignition switch worked loose, clutch reservoir leaked and the doors didn't close/open correctly. All were resolved satisfactorily. I can say without hesitation that the build quality and satisfaction with this car are equal to, or better, than my wife's Lexus. And this is a hell of a lot more fun to drive!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Hey Chuck - Is your car still in California or did you ship it East? I thought that you mentioned that you might keep it in Florida and spend some time there.
Hey Doug,

Happy holidays!

We are in the process of acquiring another, similiar company in Dallas, so I'm holding off on shipping the car until those negotiations conclude and we can decide where we will end up. Buffalo is now out, as we've figured out our operations (and I!) need be in a warm climate.

So, either Tampa or Dallas is in our future.

I'll be back in CA this weekend, and Milana can then figure this all out over the holidays. She's been pretty good about all these changes.

I feel like I'm living the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Chuck
Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sailfish

I think superformance is one of the best replicas on the market but to say "I can say without hesitation that the build quality and satisfaction with this car are equal to, or better, than my wife's Lexus. And this is a hell of a lot more fun to drive!" would leave me to beleive one is on drugs, insane or has never driven a lexus. For example my lexus has over 65K miles on it and has never dripped a drop of anything, zero engine vibration, zero issues of any kind, put gas and oil and it just keeps on going. I will say this my Lexus has more rattles than my superformance, well maybe not my trunk support rod in my spf rattles.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

To nitpick: the dim lights on the gauges (I will correct that sometime), The driver's side door latch mechanism became loose (tightened it and so far so good), Smith speedo is not accurate (duh!).

The car is great! No vibrations or brake problems (the brakes did save my hide once). An engineer friend of mine who owns another make of cobra replica, likes the idea of the front and rear crumple zones in the spf. Although none of these cars are safe, he thinks the spf is as good as there is.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

The only issue I have with mine, and it's an earlier car, # 532 from 1999 is that the inner left hand CV boot is to close to the frame. I cannot keep a clamp on it. It hits the frame and the clamp is ripped off.

My only other issue is that I did not buy it years ago when I first planned on it, so I could have been enjoying it all these years.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
The only issue I have with mine, and it's an earlier car, # 532 from 1999 is that the inner left hand CV boot is to close to the frame. I cannot keep a clamp on it. It hits the frame and the clamp is ripped off.
Look in my gallery for the photos of the differential support and you'll see how to fix this. E-mail me if you have any questions.

-Dean #747