14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Ideal front and rear suspension setup

If you where building a Cobra purely for circuit racing with the occasional drag weekend thrown in, what design would you use?

Front end I guess idealy would be uneven length upper and lower control arms, with front and rear upper and lower rose joint inner control arm mounts, U shapped arms (so no caster bar is required)?
Is there a site somewhere that allows you to play with designs so you can see what camber/caster changes occure with suspension travel?

For rear end, would IRS be best or a watts link type setup on a solid axle?

Thanks for any links or ideas.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

check out the JBL cobra- looks like the best suspension setup I've seen on any cobra.

http://www.jblmotor.com/car1.htm

Note they have a new rear fender thats much closer to original look, no pictures on the website though.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'll stick with my new Corvette aluminum double wishbone independent front and rear set up. I use their aluminum differential as well which I converted into taking a driveshaft. It bolts into my backbone trans tunnel. With an aluminum V8 and Tremec 6 speed the performance is quite spectacular. I think it's a good compromise to run on the Street, Roadcourse, and occasional Drag. I'm sure other designs work great as well. But, I am partial to mine. Have fun, john
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey John, I didnt know you were building the cobra's again- I saw the speedster (looks awesome!!)

Cheers,
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Mark, the JBL stuff looks interesting, but how has it proven to be in actual track conditions?

John, thanks for the idea of Corvette stuff, is it all adjustable? I would assume so.

I have been reading this site http://www.gmecca.com/byorc/designstrategies.html and will be buying some software I think.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the positive comments Mark. After taking a year off I decided to offer my Speedster as a kit. So, I advertised it in Kit Car Builder. But, I informed them a few weeks ago that I am not going to build any more kits to sell. I love the cars and I am going to drive the heck out of mine. I never built them to make a living and now it is time to realize that I need to slow down and enjoy life. Hopefully I can find someone to take over my projects and market them. I have the C5 based Speedster and C5 based Cobra jigs and copy frames for both along with bodies to pull molds from. If anyone is interested just PM me.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i used to have an '02 zo6 and now have the jbl, the jbl will run circles around the zo6. the zo6 because of the rear transverse leaf spring handled funny imo. the rear would take a set and then take a small hop or skip because of the rear spring unloading some of the weight transfer, i think that is the way to describe it. some use a coilover setup on the zo6 which might alleviate this.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I converted the rear to coil overs. I have experienced the snap oversteer associated with the transverse spring. (Much worse in the C4 than the C5) The rear in my car is planted, smooth and very predictable. No nasty habits. I have always admired the JBL frame and suspension. I have never driven one but it would be high on my list I am sure that it works great. The C5 parts were easy to get, pretty cheap, and I am familiar with them as I have used them in my other cars. I'm pretty sure that my Cobra will run rings around a Z06 as well.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL/Goins Motorsports
Not Ranked     
Default Body changes

Photo comparison of old JBL and new JBL body.

Larry
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS View Post
Photo comparison of old JBL and new JBL body.

Larry
larry, you need to get a pic of the rear of the jbl against an "original" style and show the difference in the width and height. pretty dramatic. even though the jbl is set at the same ride height as an "original" it appears lower. the width will scare anyone with the 335 tires.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
larry, you need to get a pic of the rear of the jbl against an "original" style and show the difference in the width and height. pretty dramatic. even though the jbl is set at the same ride height as an "original" it appears lower. the width will scare anyone with the 335 tires.
I'd like to see that! I bought a used Can-Am cobra recently, (time, money and circumstances dictated doing that or I'd never get into this hobby the way I want to) but honestly my heart is still set on a JBL. One day, hopefully sooner rather than later!!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the car closest should appear largest.....

3rd car from the right in this pic

i'll see if i can find a pic from the rear.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     
Default Suspension

Boxhead,

www.corner-carvers.com is an excellent site for Tech questions like that. But be very careful and read the forum rules. If you just ask a question that could easily have been answer by searching on there site and google they will be rude. They pride themselves as being a more of a tech site that a social site... Also as a new user you must read and heed the forum rule until you are approved. Its a pain in the ass but they have there reasons and its there site. When I can't figure something out thats where I go. Mac
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the side shot, you can really see the height difference in the rear quarter area above the rear wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post

the car closest should appear largest.....

3rd car from the right in this pic

i'll see if i can find a pic from the rear.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tr View Post
I'd like to see that! I bought a used Can-Am cobra recently, (time, money and circumstances dictated doing that or I'd never get into this hobby the way I want to) but honestly my heart is still set on a JBL. One day, hopefully sooner rather than later!!
i'm curious, what is a "can-am" cobra?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VABCH View Post
Boxhead,

www.corner-carvers.com is an excellent site for Tech questions like that. But be very careful and read the forum rules. If you just ask a question that could easily have been answer by searching on there site and google they will be rude. They pride themselves as being a more of a tech site that a social site... Also as a new user you must read and heed the forum rule until you are approved. Its a pain in the ass but they have there reasons and its there site. When I can't figure something out thats where I go. Mac
Thanks for that Mac, I will check it out and read what I can before I fire any questions about.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Forum rules

Box Head,

The Rules for new users are located General Discussion Forum. Read all the sticky threads at the top. The Honor List is not required reading but puts things in perspective for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hooley Dooley, I just registered and started doing some reading, they do run the place how they want it.

But if has the info I need then all will be good

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have some NASCAR engineers and many SCCA racer. Many are just self taught, but they are "difficult". I've been a member for many year and only made one or two requests. Most everything has been discussed before at length...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not saying how they run it is a bad thing, it is there playground so they run the rules.

Just not very social, but very technical, so many hours of reading coming up for me, Thanks again.

Cruising in 5th