28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2002, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default clutch problems

Hello, I need some advice, Please. My car has a BB with a Tremac 5 speed ,and a Hydraulic slave cylinder. Today I drove my car and after I arrived at my destination my clutch was nonexsistant. If I start my car , I cant get it into gear , unless its OFF and then it moves even with the clutch engaged. First my clutch has always been very stiff. I adjusted the rod out a couple of weeks ago to make the clutch disengage faster but it didnt work. second I can see the slave cylinder work when my freind depresses the clutch, it seems to be fully extended. My clutch feels like its disengaging and feels like before. Any suggestions before I pull the trans ? Thanks Olaf P.S. the weather is so nice I wish I could drive my car.

Last edited by olaf herrick; 05-11-2002 at 08:30 PM..
Old 05-12-2002, 03:59 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Olaf,
I would first try to bleed the slave cylinder...... although for the life of my I don't know how air could have entered the system, but the symptoms you mention (not enough travel to disengage the clutch) are classic for air in the system OR not enough stroke at the master cylinder..... but you said you made this longer right????? Did this push the slave cylinder too far and blow it out causing an air leak back into the system???.....I don't know..... try bleeding it before you rip it all out.... and put the rod back where it was too. Maybe luck will be on your side!!!
- Jim -
Old 05-12-2002, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

Can you take the inspection cover off and have someone press the clutch in .
Old 05-12-2002, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Olaf,
If you are getting full travel on your slave cyl. and the clutch won't release. You got a blown clutch, doesn't have to explode to be blown. The same thing you describe happend to me last year at VIR. When I pulled the clutch out a piece of the lining had broken off and was wedged between the disc and the flywheel.
Another possibility is that your throwout fork pivot point is broken.

McCranky
Old 05-12-2002, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have seen the same result from a failed pressure plate. The spings failed and while the travel was there on the fork the pressure was never releived on the clutch plate. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb I also hear...

That you need an overtravel stop for the clutch pedal, or you will blow the (o ring?) seals, and therefore have to disassemble that portion and replace the o rings. No hands on experience here, but have read this in Kit Car mag.

The total dis-engagement distance allowed is minimal, about .4 to .6 inches total, then you MUST have an overtravel stop !

WCC has an overtravel stop included for their hydraulic clutch installs.
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm

Last edited by Back in Black; 05-12-2002 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-13-2002, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Check to make sure your pressure plate bolts haven't backed out at all from the flywheel.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey there , I hope someone looks at this thread before I pull my trans. I removed the access cover and found I have a 3 finger clutch. I can see that 1 finger is loose, it doesnt appear to be broken but it doesnt hold presure against the throwout bearing. I guess this means pull the trans, my question is to confirm that and also how would my clutch presure plate have broken. I dont miss shift or run the car hard. Thanks for all the help.Olaf
Old 05-16-2002, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pressure plates are just spring activated. If the spring fails then no movement. Sorry but gonna have to pull the trans.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well I figured I would report back, the trans is out and I think GOD was watching out for me. I found the presure plate to be broken and the flywheel is cracked in 3 places. I ordered a Bilit wheel and I bought a new clutch. I'm glad the clutch went out now.Olaf