28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2002, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Superformance sidepipes

How restrictive are the Superformance side pipes and is there anything better........??Are there baffles in side the pipes and can they be removed...??
Old 08-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Charles, I believe several people have commented on SPF (Among others) sidepipes being very restrictive. I ended up cutting mine off and building another set of sidepipes, but I am still experimenting with different baffles. My problems were mostly due to excessive noise, but I am going to test different baffles on dyno in the near future. My car was much louder than SPF. One thing I learned is with new baffle system, car takes longer to heat up. (Obviously I have less restriction than original setup). Sorry I didn't get down to see you this week, but my plans changed. Maybe next week? How is your car coming? Later, David.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

DynoMax inserts are quickly building a good rep. The average 'as delivered' set of sidepipes seem to average about a 5-10% hp loss..and thats a heck of a lot! I remember reading in the Shelby American that they did a dyno test on OE Cobras, and found that the oe pipes were draining close to 75 hp off of a 427!
Old 08-04-2002, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Better to burn out than fade away..................
Old 08-04-2002, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey David,Sorry I missed you...The car is coming along slowly but surely....Hopefully firing it up this week...
Old 08-05-2002, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I like the SPF sidepipes, they sound good and are not too loud. I would give away a few horsepower to keep my head from ringing after long drives. The "baffles" in them are little fingers pointing towards the middle of the pipe, like you welded 100 washers on the inside. Loud pipes just give you headaches and tickets.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can you take the baffles out...? How loud would it be.?I know that's sorta of a hard question,but here in Texas we can be a little loud..
Old 08-05-2002, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

The baffles appear to be non-removable, welded in place. Perhaps the center "tube" could be removed, but the baffles are on the outside of that. Totally unbaffled sidepipes are very loud, way too loud after the initial "cool, it sounds like a dragster" buzz wears off.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HeHeHeHeHe..................
Old 08-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Talking

WHAT? UNBAFFLED PIPES ARE TOO LOUD? SPEAK UP DAMMIT, I CANT HEAR YA! IF THEY WANNA GIVE YOU A TICKET, REMEMBER THEY GOTTA CATCH YOU FIRST!
Old 01-04-2004, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Chassis with 514 Ford Motorsports Engine (625 H.P.) and Tremec 5 speed Tranny
Not Ranked     
Talking California "Loudness" Laws

I have the Superformance side mufflers with my 514 Ford Motorsports "Stroker" engine and seems loud enough to attract attention from the local Police authorities. Does anyone know the laws in California regarding "Noise" and do I still need to idle down the road when I see a police car?

Ed.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The stainless steel SPF sidepipes are much louder and less restrictive. I know some of the TX croud has before and after dyno info.
Richard
Memphis
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Even in Connecticut, where you can't get a car registered for a zillion trivial reasons, the SPF pipes are OK. The sound is just loud enough and just quiet enough. I still use ear plugs when I go on a freeway drive.

Bob
Old 01-10-2004, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I drive and test my customers
Not Ranked     

We have dyno tested many of the Superformance side pipes and they are very restrictive. We sell a complete polished stainless steel system that is louder ,but does make more power. The system includes the headers and side pipes. They are a bolt on kit with all of the hardware and gaskets.Avalible for 302,351W,460,and 427 engines. (513 ) 738-5001
Old 01-10-2004, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was told that the ceramic coated sidepipes helped protect the body and paint job from the heat, does the stainless setup cause any problems?

Rick
Old 01-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipes..

My good friend has an SPF with a stroker aluminum Shelby motor in it. His stainless SPF sidepipes are noticeably quieter than my ERA sidepipes.

The loud pipes in my ERA are fun sometimes, but on longer drives it is much more pleasurable to be in his SPF than in my ERA. My ears start to ring in my ERA. The loud pipes can tend to be a bit much and I feel more stressed sometimes after getting out of my car as compared to his SPF. The quieter pipes are really nice to have as well at the sacrafice of a little top-end horsepower... The grass is greener sometimes.

Quickchange baffles like I had in my Harley Fat Boy would be the way to go for Cobras!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I drive and test my customers
Not Ranked     

Rick, None of my customers have repoted any trouble with the stainless steel system. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Eric: How much $$$ for the SS system and what do you charge to install it (I have a 427)? You can send me a private e-mail if you wish.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking yes, yes, and yes

The SS pipes Eric speaks of have a "crisper" sound to them, and are louder. They make the car sound like it's running on alkie! hehehehehe

The are easier to take care of (IMO). Nice stuff. I have the SS headers (2" tube), but ran out of money last year for the SS side pipes.

Eric
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #059,428
Not Ranked     

HI, I HAVE A ERA THAT NEEDS SIDE PIPES, DO ALL THE SIDE PIPES FIT OR DO I HAVE TO BUY ERA PIPES, MINE IS A 428, THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU MAY HAVE, THANKS TMAN0950