LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2002, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1837 408w 93mm turbo
Send a message via AIM to mike knight Send a message via Yahoo to mike knight
Not Ranked     
Default build tip torqueing and marking

maybe some of you builders out there use a method like mine and have already suggested it; if so sorry to waste everyones time. this also works for going over your car after driving for awhile. i've just finished my build and dissassemby for paint. while under construction, for the last two years, i've torqued and taken apart components so often that i couldn' begin to remember whether or not all the bolt ons were torqued properly. so i asked the boss if she had any old fingernail polish in colors she wasn't using anymore (ugly) and she obliged with several samples. so i went back through the car and torqued everything and marked the bolt threads with the first color then went back through loosened and retorqued and used a totally different color. once that was done i now can easily see if any fasteners aren't properly installed. i have the color sequence in the build manual and refer to that if i remove something or am just tightening as routine maintenance. i hope to have the car ready for use in a few weeks. the hardest part for me is coming up..... finish wiring.

mike
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 08-20-2002, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Dreaded wiring

Mike,

I was worried about the wiring as well but to be honest with you it was much easier than I had thought. I stressed about the what ifs for some time. Once I started laying out the wiring and following the instructions everything came together fairly easy. If you get in a bind you can find plenty of expert help at this site. I think you will find it will be much easier than you think. If you get stuck and need some telephone help give me a call at 918-633-5336 cell or at my home at 918-488-8201. I still have my build manual and most of the notes I made during my build.

Good Luck!

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-20-2002, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default marking

I also use the fingernail polish to denote that a bolt has been final torqued; it also serves a second important fucntion; mark both the nut and bolt in a line; then when your making inspections you can see if the bolt has loosened.

A second trick I'm using and is invaluable when building. Get a role of that bright blue masking tape and use it to mark things not done, missing, or to do later. I have blue tags hanging all over denoting missing cotter pins, bolts rough assembled (not yet final) etc

gn
Old 08-20-2002, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks guys, i'm sure the wiring won't be as tough as i'm thinking. i once said there were two things in my life that i would always pay a pro for: BRAKES AND ANY KIND OF ELECTRICAL WORK but i've come too far to let this get in the way. I also was concerned about the fiberglass to metal when affixing the body so i looked through an industrial supplier's catalog (MCMASTER-CARR) and found they had adhesive backed silicone strips (2" wide) that were fuel, oil and non absorbing. i placed these on all the frame rails where fiberglass would rub. they compressed to almost zero and i think they may help reduce any squeeking and act as a gasket for all the fastener penetrations. i'm sure i'l be posting electrical questions. stopped at the paint shop and the base color is down the stripes are next, hopefully one more week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 08-20-2002, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Heck even SPF does the nail polish on the bolt / nut trick at the factory.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mr. fixit, heck i've been building for two years and check this web site frequently and never saw this builder tip. as i said, if you know about this sorry to waste your time. i apologize for not having spent my life building such beautifiul machines. i was always under the impression that a club is like a team and we all continue to remind each other and new inexperienced members of the basics and fundamentals. good intel remains good intel to someone who doesn't have the experience. i would hope that over the years you've shared such common knowledge with all of us. maybe it wouldn't be taking me so dog gone long to build it.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430