9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Anniversary #1989. 427 Roush.
Not Ranked     
Default Tire Recommendations?

Have an SPF on order and going with a Roush 427 stroker. 15" wheels. Need some advice on tires. Purpose is a driver, street only. Had a Cobra a few years ago and there wasn't much available then in 15" that were round and had any speed rating. Anything out there that is available now? Need a round tire.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I've got Goodrich Radial T/As. Not very round (front end shake at 60-80) and they have siping which picks up small stones and throws them into the underside of the fenders. Goodyear and Yoko also make a 15 inch radial. Be careful of sticky treads (track tires) as they pick-up a lot of road junk.

Bob
Old 10-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Not much out there in 15 any more...

Bruce,
I concur with Bob on the T/As and the sticky treads on the street. After tiring from two sets of wheel shaking TAs on my last two cars, and rocks/flats on the big non-DOT Goodyears, I'm now trying the Yoko Avid STs. I was very reluctant at first. To my suprise they are decent to drive on in turns and at higher sustained speeds. For looks, the sidewall design is a bit noisy looking, but No more shake, very smooth, no rocks, and believe it or not, they stick fairly well. They are predictable performers and reasonably priced. I'm planning to burn up a set of these still waiting for someone to come up with a good 15" radial value in the right Cobra sizes for the street, in an American label... Til then, its Yoko Blah Blahs.

Last edited by decooney; 10-17-2004 at 04:56 PM..
Old 10-17-2004, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Anniversary #1989. 427 Roush.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob, I tried TA's on my last one with about the same results you describe.
Duane I'll try those Yoko's, thanks for the tip.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #901 Superformance 427cid 540hp!
Not Ranked     
Question toyo

I'm looking around for a decent set to repalce the Goodyear GT2's. I found a Toyo Proxes S/T in 275/60/15 and a 295/50/15 but nothing in the 15" size for front tires? The tread looks cool, much different than anything else offered buy the others and "v" rated. I guess the Yokohama Avids are the best bet.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M , 5.0 efi
Not Ranked     

I like my Yoko Avids. They are much better than the T/A's
I have over 8,000 miles on them and still plenty of tread.
A much better tire all around. (couldn't resist the pun).
Harvey R
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

A timely thread, as i have two sets of Trigo wheels on a Big Brown truck on their way to me as i type.

I was planning to do a set of the non-DOT GY's on one set for shows and track days, and some run of the mill's on the other set.

Been trying to decide between Dunlop Qualifier GT's (which i never had a very high opinion of) or a set of the Yoko Avid's which i keep hearing semi good things about.

I am also considering a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Drag Radials (at least in back) but i haven't heard much about how these are for cornering on. Roger Krause Racing hints that they are a decent autocross tire on their web site which is promissing.

Going to be ordering at least one set of rubber in the next week, so i appreciate all the input i can find.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Yoko Avids. If you don't care about driving in the rain, Hoosier TD's. If you don't care about DOT rating, big letter Goodyears. If you care to wait, check out what TireGuy is coming out with.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 392 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I have read dozens of posts regarding this subject and have talked to many people who race and just have fun on the street. It seems the biggest complaint was getting the h.p. to the asphalt without going sideways or spinnig them in all 4 (5) gears. I modified my chassis to allow the use of 335's (Khumo ecsta's) in the rear and Khomo victor racers uo front. With a 4 link, currie 9" (373), tremec 6-speed and a 392 stroker (450 h.p.) the car hooks unbelievably, with very little side to side and once it gets hold its gone. Needless to say, very satisfied. A far cry from original but thats a call each builder has to make when it comes to performance. What are you willing to sacrifice in the way of originality to gain performance?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Check the post 'Cobra DOT Tires'. Use the Search CC button and enter 'Cobra DOT Tires.' You'll find the future promises an option we have not had to date...