17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default For newly shipped TKO's with stuck shafts...

I received my new TKO yesterday and it arrived with a stuck shaft. I went ahead and removed the rubber shipping bushing that goes between the output shaft and the rear seal.

I was almost expecting it to arrive that way, after all of the accounts that I had read about. I thought about it and was prepared ahead of time. Instead of using a pair of channel locks and a rag or opening the transmission, I slid the clutch disc onto the input shaft and put a little muscle into it. It broke free almost instantly and everything appears normal now.

I know some are advised to pull the top cover and align the shifter forks....some use channel locks on the input shaft....but this seems to be the easiest and the quickest.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I have only seen this once. And it was on a TKO-600 directly from a Tremec distributor. We have received many of the TKOs from Ford Racing and have never experienced with transmissions they supply.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've only seen it with my own eyes once....but I've heard about it many, many times. You could probably do a search here on Club Cobra and find several instances.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One thing that can cause it is if the input shaft was hit during shipping, it will cause the 4th gear sycro ring to be put in a bind against the gear. Useing the clutch disk was actually the best way to do, next to taking the top plate off and freeing up the sycro by hand. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 07-28-2007, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing - Silver Gray w/ Titanium Silver Stripes, 351W (435HP), TKO 500
Not Ranked     

I just got a TKO500 and am having the same problem. I was able to free the shaft so it turns in Neutral but it wont turn in any gear. Should I be able to turn it by hand when its in gear????
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To answer your question, yes. But first, make sure the rubber shipping plug is removed from around the output shaft in the tailhousing.

If you pull that out and you're still having trouble, post back.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yep, sure won't turn with the shipping plug in there. I know first hand that it won't too!
Larry
Old 07-28-2007, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing - Silver Gray w/ Titanium Silver Stripes, 351W (435HP), TKO 500
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH
Yep, sure won't turn with the shipping plug in there. I know first hand that it won't too!
Larry
Nope...First thing I did was to remove that plug. the tranny still won't turn in any gear. It moves just a few degrees in either direction and comes to a definite HARD STOP as if its hitting metal to metal. Any sugestions????
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR530
Nope...First thing I did was to remove that plug. the tranny still won't turn in any gear. It moves just a few degrees in either direction and comes to a definite HARD STOP as if its hitting metal to metal. Any sugestions????
That's BS. You fork out over a grand for a new gear box and the damn thing won't turn?
Why isn't Tremec solving the problem instead of you seeking help in here, you should go after them to send you a piece of properly functioning equipment.
Let them know a lot of other buyers in here will be reading about the problem and how they responded.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think what has happened is that it's been stood on its nose during shipping and it's got the blocking rings mashed against the gears. I've assembled Toploaders before and have had this happen.

It's a real simple fix, but 1. You have to pop the top cover off, and 2. You shouldn't have to do all this crap on a new trans.

However, if you remove the top cover to the trans, look at the blocking ring for 4th gear (the one against the input shaft). The blocking ring will be either cast iron or bronze....I think it's cast iron in a TKO.

Anyway, it's probably been shoved too far up on the friction cone on the input shaft, so just take a flat head screwdriver and gently get in between the gear and the block ring and move the blocking ring away from the gear. It won't move very far but it will be enough to free everything up. While you're in there, take a look and make sure everything else looks kosher and give her a turn in gear.

If you need help identifying a blocking ring, let me know.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger
That's BS. You fork out over a grand for a new gear box and the damn thing won't turn?
Why isn't Tremec solving the problem instead of you seeking help in here, you should go after them to send you a piece of properly functioning equipment.
Let them know a lot of other buyers in here will be reading about the problem and how they responded.
Well...its looks like I have the problem fixed. I very un-scientifically just kept F&@%ing with the input shaft and the shift lever until I got it to break loose. It now turns easily by hand through all the gears.

I do find it rather amusing that the first paragraph in the Tremec Installation Tips says...

Pre-Installation
While unlikely, the transmission may be stuck between gears if the transmission was placed on end during shipment. Before installing the transmission into the vehicle, make sure that the transmission turns freely. Simply turn the input shaft by hand and attempt to shift the transmission into each gear. If you are unable to turn, or shift the transmission, please contact the distributor where you purchased your transmission for further instructions.

I think they should change the first sentence to "Most Likely". I had no idea so many people had problems with this until I starting searching the forums.

Oh well. I am back in business now. I thank everyone who responded for their input !!!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glad you got it nailed.....and yes I agree....I'd say way over 50% of people have some kind of problem with new TKO's when they receive them.