28 29 30        
Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 501
Not Ranked     
Default Jag rear end leaking

Guys,

I have been working on my cobra now all summer and it is just about done. It has been a few weeks since I was able to get under it, but yesterday I noticed that the rear end seems to be leaking. The car has been on blocks with wheels on for about 6weeks.

I did not go under there to see where it is leaking. I do not have any experience with Jag rears. Any ideas, starting points, things to look for. Is it possible that since the car has been idle all season (from March) and up on blocks for an extended time a seal could have let go? some local guys told me to put the car down and see if it stops, that doesnt seem like a good fix to me.

All suggestions appreciated.

I am about to drop in my new Motor, and last thing I want is the read to go.

Mike

Last edited by mjmacqua; 10-12-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Maybe the rear cover gasket just needs to be snugged down a little.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmacqua View Post
Guys,

I have been working on my cobra now all summer and it is just about done. It has been a few weeks since I was able to get under it, but yesterday I noticed that the rear end seems to be leaking. The car has been on blocks with wheels on for about 6weeks.

I did not go under there to see where it is leaking. I do not have any experience with Jag rears. Any ideas, starting points, things to look for. Is it possible that since the car has been idle all season (from March) and up on blocks for an extended time a seal could have let go? some local guys told me to put the car down and see if it stops, that doesnt seem like a good fix to me.

All suggestions appreciated.

I am about to drop in my new Motor, and last thing I want is the read to go.

Mike
It could be the rear cover seal as Rick says, but it could also be the breather being lose and letting oil drip out of there. Or worse, one or both of the seals on the halfshaft ends. If those start leaking you will get oil on the rear disk brakes, which on the Jag setup are inboard. Then you will have a braking problem like you were advised to check out.
I did get fed up changing those seals and decided to take the rear brakes outboard. That makes changing the seals much easier.
Strangely since I did that no seal went bad any more.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljaro View Post
It could be the rear cover seal as Rick says, but it could also be the breather being lose and letting oil drip out of there. Or worse, one or both of the seals on the halfshaft ends. If those start leaking you will get oil on the rear disk brakes, which on the Jag setup are inboard. Then you will have a braking problem like you were advised to check out.
I did get fed up changing those seals and decided to take the rear brakes outboard. That makes changing the seals much easier.
Strangely since I did that no seal went bad any more.
Did everything interchange pretty easy? My center section is from a Series 1, and I was thinking about putting the very later model outboard brakes on it. What did you have to change?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

I installed a rear brake kit manufactured by AMP. Check out my Gallery.