28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default What things about your Cobra would you have done differently?

If you were to build your Car again, If you hadn't allready made the decisions, hadn't allready spent your wadd, What things about your Cobra would you have done differently and why? Allmost everything can be done to different degrees - mild to wild. I know there are things about my car I now would have done differently. Bigger brakes, different steering ratio or power steering, hard to park. More supportive seats (less traditional) at least an appropreate competition seat or seats. Dual rollbars, Windsheild at the standard angle, so I could get a convertable top and side curtains installed. I think I would have gone with a large single four barrel carb and intake manifold or EFI multi port fuel enjection. I think I would have kept the combustion ratio around 10.5 to 1. Perhaps I would like a six speed transmission with overdrive(s), now that $3 a gallon is the norm.
I get a kick when someone asks "what do you do once the car is finished?'They are never finished.
Now I'm trying to change some of the aspects of my car that I can change without the big expenses. Like the intake manifold. and heads are matched up. Inline dual fours and tall intake manifolds are hard to fit under under a hood with a decent aircleaner. Who would be interested in a used intake manifold that has been milled to match and fit my heads? I've allready stuck $600 in covering my traditional seats in leather. I can't see installing the passenger side rollbar without taking my car all appart.
A lower 180° intake manifold and milder cam would better fit my monthly drives to the doctors office and parking garage, It's hard on the clutch. Remember these cars are replicas of old cars. they were discontinued. Shelby used the phrase "Historically warranted modifications".
When at work after a weekend someone will ask if I worked on my Cobra Replica this weekend. I usually reply" no, it's running fine". I get rediculed by my wife that when it's summer time and the driving season and I've got the car apart. When my car was built the original builder (in an effort to get the desired balance) located the engine 3/4" off center to the right on a narrowed frame to keep the suspension geometry. My Scattersheild actually is notched around the right frame tub. Changing the clutch is an exact proscess. Things in order or it won't fit. I could never afford to have someone do this stuff for me. Also it's a good thing there isn't any small children or a swear jar arround.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-10-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Mike ... great question. I have not even built my car yet ... but I have spent a lot of time reading posts and talking with owners to learn about just what you are discussing.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say, I'll follow this with great interest. I hope that once my car is done and it's s few years down the road, that my do over list is a short one.

- Tim
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

First spend the right money up front and in my opinion the most important upgrade to any Cobra are the brakes. I would go with the biggest brakes that would fit inside my wheels whether I choose 15" or 17". Next I would go with the best adjustable shock spring combo and a well designed anti-sway bar. If size was important to me I would go with the FE engine I imagined when I was building this car in my mind. I would keep my engine at about a 10:1 comp ratio and my cam lift under .600 with my duration somewhere around 260 or so (need a little vacuum every now and then).

I am not a big fan of power brakes or power steering but to each their own. I would spend the extra money up front to get the correct wheels (Vintage-Team III-Trigo). Next my focus would be on the wiring and the use of the MSD Weather pack if for no other reason than it keeps everything in order. I know it is not correct but I would go with a single roll bar that extends over the driver and passenger. Other than that I think I wouldn't change a thing.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

I think that I would have spent more time at car cruises looking over engine bays to get ideas on how to conceal wiring, where to locate the solenoid, use of fake braiding over real braided cable, routing of hoses, etc. I really like things neat and tidy - always more impressed by someone who came up with a clever way of doing things vs. the guy who chrome plates the heck out of everything.

It doesn't cost much to do the job properly once, but it cost a lot to do it over 2 or 3 times and believe me - I didn't save any $$$ by going the cheapo appearance route.

- Dan
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Would've bought it sooner...?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

Independent rear, bigger brakes, better wheels. I would definitely spend more on the paint, or do it myself, there are things that only I see but they drive me nuts.

Now if I got to keep my car and build ANOTHER then I would do more, like a small block in a 289 FIA or coupe body.

Brandon
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default Do-overs

Well, maybe buy a Superformance instead of building a West Coast? LOL. The kit came with more problems than delights and customer support virtually nonexistent - be careful who's you buy.

I'd put in an AOD which is on my list for next winter, as much highway driving in Krazyfornica happens at 80mph and up. 1: 1 C6 is a little high RPM for that. At least be sure your setup caters to the type of driving you'll be doing

Dirk
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran3b View Post
Now if I got to keep my car and build ANOTHER then I would do more, like a small block in a 289 FIA or coupe body.
Brandon - If I could have another, I'd do the same. Maybe a Kirkham.

If I was going to by my SPF again, I'd consider going the Roadster route with undercar exhaust and no hoop/scoop.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Would've bought it sooner...?
I agree with that statement. I waited waaaaaay too long.

A SOHC engine!

Absent the SOHC engine, since SOHC parts are now just being reproduced, a one notch larger cam and/or a TWM/Dynatek EFI. Even more cubes than a 482, just to be different.

Magnesium wheels.

Maybe powdercoated black quick jacks and roll bar. Not sure about them though.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I would go for a milder overdrive (0.80 instead of 0.68). I wish the car had a hidden radio that was capable of talking to my Ipod.

Bob
Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, MKIII, Carbed 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     

Would have upgraded the rear suspension system to a custom Levy 5-link in place of my 3-link. Maybe power steering. Wish I could have afforded a better tranny, but my T5 hasn't exploded yet...
Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I would have gone for a slightly less aggressive cam profile so I could realistically think about going the Weber route. I really don't want to perform that type of procedure (camshaft replacement) on my current motor unless I honestly have to. I've done them before and it's open heart surgery for a car...not hard, just a tedious procedure when the motor is in the car.

-Dean
Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

... less aggressive cam, fuel injection, timing belt (instead of gear drive), clutch slave, & 17" wheels.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B, mild 302 & T-5
Not Ranked     

Now that I have the car (yep, should have bought it a LONG time ago!) there are two things that are currently in the process of change. One is to have the builder (in this case B&B) install heat matt during the build. I have to tear the inside apart now to do it.
This Oklahoma sun along with the engine/exhaust heat is a joy killer! The other is trash those old style seats for something way more comfortable! Have over 7k miles in the past 9 months and my butt feels every one of them! Everything else I can live with - so far! Great question, very interesting responses too. Cheers, Bob
Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

I'm with SunDude, I would've bought it earlier. Just brought mine home from the install last night so I don't know much other than it's beautiful! 209
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I'm with most of you so far I wish I could have bought my car years earlier. The body is changing for the worse. I'm not as flexable as I once was. Do you think they will have spot for me and my car at the dementia center?
It's a beutiful day here and I'm home on steroids, pain killers, and muscle relaxers, and I'm upstairs pecking at this computer keyboard. And it still hurts.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-12-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Would have got a Kirkham!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would have gone to 600 hp instead of 500 hp at the flywheel on my SPF. I would probably also try to do it in a big block instead of stroked small block as long as I could maintain reliability. Other than that nothing, the car is rock solid, great brakes, etc. I would definetly do my own install of engine and trans next time.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'd like more gear. I'm running 3:31's and would like a set of 3:54's. Then I'd have to have a different trans (I use a toploader). Not big into OD boxes, but that may be the answer, or maybe a Richmond Gear trans with lower 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th would. I still like the idea of an original toploader and FE engine for a Cobra.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I wish i could have gotten mine sooner also BUT careful planning on my part made my build much easier than if i had no plan at all.I knew i wanted an FE for the look, I have bad knees so an auto was in order,I am not a big fan of chrome so it only got what was necessary to maintain the look,I wasnt building a racecar so it dosent have 600 hp,i chose the color very carefuly i wanted something that looked good on a very rounded car like a Cobra and thats the comment i get the most ,how the color appears to "move around the car" it almost looks like its alive, I love my Cobra and would only change the weather so i could enjoy it more.