Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft, Keith Craft 408; 1967 GT500CR
Not Ranked     
Default Ethanol required blends

While the details are still unfolding, it looks as though the EPA is going to approve the first of two decisions on whether to allow up to 15% ethanol in vehicles. EPA's initial approval is for 2007 and later model vehicles. The EPA is expected to hold a press conference tomorrow afternoon at around 1pm EST.

The approval for up to E-15 in 2007 and later vehicles could apply to 43 million vehicles or 18% of the current light-duty vehicle fleet. Meanwhile, by the end of the year, EPA plans to rule on whether to allow these higher ethanol blends in 2001-2006 vehicles, which would represent 36% of the vehicle fleet.

According to market analysts, while ethanol supporters may cheer tomorrow's decision, it's not likely to result in an immediate boost in ethanol demand, since retailers are reluctant to offer the higher level blends until product liability and potential misfueling concerns are addressed.

As it concerns this issue, the EPA is expected tomorrow to release for public comment a gasoline labeling effort that would alert consumers which vehicles are able to use which fuel blends. The pump labeling rule is not expected to be finalized until Spring 2011.

FROM BLOOMBERG:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-gasoline.html

The Obama administration will grant a request from ethanol producers to permit higher concentrations of the corn-based fuel additive in gasoline for vehicles made in 2007 and later, according to a person familiar with the decision.
The Environmental Protection Agency will announce as early as today its decision allowing refiners to blend as much as 15 percent ethanol into fuel, up from the current 10 percent, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity before the announcement.
Ethanol producers such as Archer Daniels Midland Co. have pressed the EPA to raise the limit. Opponents, including a coalition of oil companies, automakers and advocacy groups, say adding more ethanol may damage car engines, boost food prices and hurt the environment.
The EPA delayed its decision in December, saying it needed more time to conduct tests on the blend. A decision was again postponed in June, prompting Growth Energy, the ethanol-industry trade group seeking the 15 percent blend, to write to President Barack Obama expressing frustration with the process.
The plan to allow increased ethanol levels was reported late yesterday by the Wall Street Journal.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

http://pure-gas.org
http://www.e0pc.com

Last edited by lnfletcher; 10-13-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default This is just the beginning!

This new requirement is part of the Cas Sunstein (one of Obama's czars) pylosophy of "Nudge". The government slowly raises the ethanol level until older cars are eliminated. Besides the basic problems with ethanol in older cars, how long do you think fuel suppliers are going to keep the lower levels and at what cost? Not to mention that as ethanol content goes up mileage drops.
There is no doubt the higher ethanol gas will cost more. The EPA will have us riding horses before long!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

I was under the impression that there are stability problems between 10+% ETA and 85% ETA??

I know of stations here that even have problems with stratifying in <10% ETA blends!!

Here come some RIDICULOUS problems!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Snake:
Your guy was in office for 8 years and I didn't see any reductions in ethanol in gasoline during his stay. If you want to make this political, put it on the guys from Iowa and a few other corn producing states that have convinced many in Washington that ethanol is a good thing.

Bob
Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
Hey Snake:
Your guy was in office for 8 years and I didn't see any reductions in ethanol in gasoline during his stay. If you want to make this political, put it on the guys from Iowa and a few other corn producing states that have convinced many in Washington that ethanol is a good thing.

Bob

i have found that just getting out of bed in the morning is political.....
Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 302 with NOS
Not Ranked     

Go to:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4050710AAdoZpl

This is an objective none political course on ethanol. Personally I have found politics, religion and motor oil to cause the most controversy. At his point ol Col would be hard pressed to add ethanol. In soft drinks the new term is Corn Sugar. Sighhhhh! That being said I find the best solution to the fuel issue is to keep fresh fuel in the car, less than 30 days and a full tank. Drive Safe-Col
Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Two news reports, ABC News with Q & A

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...standard_N.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ethan...ry?id=11876175
Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

In 2005 our Guv-ment passed a Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) requiring 7.5 billion gallons of mostly ethanol in gasoline by 2012. In 2007, RFS 2 was passed to require 36 billion gallons by 2022 and expanded it to include diesel. Based on today's consumption of 140 billion gallons, that would be about 25% ethanol. The way these laws require more and more ethanol in gasoline, they had to allow more than E10 to meet the requirements. Notice the law is based on total volume, when CAFE standards kick in, maybe the total gas volume drops. The ethanol industry will still sell their 36 billion gallons. Notice the year in which RFS 1 & 2 were passed. It is almost like big ag companies are hiding behind "protecting farmers" to get their profits up.

I was in Nebraska a couple years back and I couldn't find anyone wanting ethanol in their gasoline. This is an excellent example of having the best government money can buy! It makes me sick....