Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     
Default Msd 6al-2 failed

Went out for a ride...2 miles from home motor dies. Carb has fuel....turns over ..no go. MSD 6AL-2 has small red LED light that turns on when key is turned on...no red light. 2,455.6 miles on odometer....paid $75.00 towe fee to get home...guess will run the tests tomorrow on box and coil..think it's the box. My confidence is back to driving around the block.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC LS427 #63, 351W, Green/white
Not Ranked     

The same thing happened to me a few months ago. Had to replace
the MSD box and coil. Mine was ten years old with 20,000 miles.
I don't if the coil went bad and took out the MSD or the other way
around. Good luck with yours.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I run a "Ready to Run" MSD distributor that can run without my 6AL box, or with it. I went that way for a backup and added quick connect wiring to easily by-pass the box and go straight distributor if the box went bad.

....the box didn't go bad, the dam distributor did! Ugghh, the best laid plans, you can't win.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Magnetic pick up!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Just a thought

charles roybal Charles I know that there have been alot of failures with MSD stuff over the years with guys on this forum. You sound like you have a good base for fixing your own car if it breaks. Why not carry spare parts, I do. Wire up the car with good connectors for ground and battery. Go with a 6-al box, complete distributor, and cheap round coil. Basic tools to swap out the parts. You may want to either include a spare cap and rotor or steal the one off the spare distributor. 10-20 minutes and you should have the car running again. The worst thing is buying this stuff and never using it except for the cap and rotor on another guys car for a race. It's the old dentist and the tooth hurting, goes away when going to the dentist. MSD is good about repairing the box. Rick L.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make sure your rotor tab is bent up touching the carbon button in the distributor cap, if not the arc burns the button flat and no sparky.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scufty, yeah I suspect it's the magnetic pickup. On the "Ready to Run" models changing that out is considerably more complex than it is on the standard issue MSD dist because the wiring is longer and routed internally in a complex manner.

Due to time constraints at the time, I was forced to buy another "Ready to Run" MSD dist locally and will be sending the old one back for repair. Maybe I'll sell it or keep it for a backup, haven't decided yet.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #010 SC motorcars 428PI TKO600
Not Ranked     

Charles I would check the pickup also, have had several fail on other cars.
Sorry to hear that, but that is part of the breaking one in, also I would check all the engine grounds to may sure they are tight. I saw one coil fail because it was mounted horizontal instead of vertical and it overheated.
Let me know if I can help.
David
432 386 6777
Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #010 SC motorcars 428PI TKO600
Not Ranked     

Also check to see if the dist rotor is turning, maybe the oil pump shaft broke.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecobra View Post
Charles I would check the pickup also, have had several fail on other cars.
Sorry to hear that, but that is part of the breaking one in, also I would check all the engine grounds to may sure they are tight. I saw one coil fail because it was mounted horizontal instead of vertical and it overheated.
Let me know if I can help.
David
432 386 6777
David,I was thinking it's the coil as it is mounted verticaly on the right AFR head..well work on it today.

I have a cut off switch form the batt. so no power to anything when car is not running.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just pulled cap off dist. rotor not spining when I crank it. Since the motor was builb by KC and they should know which gear to run for the cam it has..I think the pin broke on the gear...will pull to find out.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Found the problem

Pulled the distributor...gear was half shared off!!!!! Gear is black but not meal...carbon fiber? Will post pics tomorrow...call Keith Craft on Monday. 2.495 miles and I have changed the oil 3 times.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF / FE428
Not Ranked     
Default Aaa

One of the first things I did when I got my car home was; joined AAA.
For $89.00 a year, the'll tow yea a 100 miles.
Its paid for itself.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles roybal View Post
Pulled the distributor...gear was half shared off!!!!! Gear is black but not meal...carbon fiber? Will post pics tomorrow...call Keith Craft on Monday. 2.495 miles and I have changed the oil 3 times.
Been there done that ! bummer
Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What you probably have on your distributor is an everwear gear, was the piece very light? If so that what it is. Did you get both pieces out? You could go back with bronze but they wear. MSD makes a gear compatible with steel billet cams, I am sure keith will know the answer.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A bunch of us have been down this road! Dist gears wearing out, just something going around and you caught it too.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
A bunch of us have been down this road! Dist gears wearing out, just something going around and you caught it too.
Ernie, when was the last time you heard of a distributor gear wearing out on an old solid, flat tappet?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is of course the "cure". Dump those roller cams, take one flat tappet cam and call me in the morning.

Head ache gone forever!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
That is of course the "cure". Dump those roller cams, take one flat tappet cam and call me in the morning.

Head ache gone forever!
One of the big FE engine builders, and for the life of me I can't remember which one it was, was telling me that they think that problem has been pretty much licked with rollers. But I can't remember whether he said it was with the new composite gear or by pressing an iron gear on the roller cam.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gear didnt wear out it broke. The steel billet cams (which are cast iron with some alloys) are harder than the 99.9% cast iron. Used to have to use brass but now MSD has a steel gear to go with the billet steel cam. Prob is if you use the steel gear with a cast iron camshaft it eats the camshaft gear.

Kinda of confusing, they are both cast iron cams, one has alloys, ie chromium etc the other does not. The one you have to use a steel gear the other will destroy. Now some companys have come out with a gear that will work with either unless it breaks in half, LOL.