19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dallas new owner, title stuff, help!!!

I bought a new (no title) SPF last week. I am trying to get a title, down to last form, the dreaded, kiss of death Form VTR-68-A, the bottom portion of which is certification of inspection by a law enforcement officer. Dallas County said go to a DPS office. I did that, DPS office said only the main DPS office did these. I went there. They said as of February, they don't do these any more, referred me to the Dallas Police Department. I called the Dallas Police Department, they said they do this for reassigned title, but not for a new title. I am now back in touch with Dallas County, trying to get them to identify some law enforcement organization who will complete this form. In the meantime . . . have any of you been through this drill recently? What is the solution?

On a more cheerful note, having driven this car for four days, I am astonished by the attention it draws. When people on foot see this car, their faces light up, they wave, give high fives. Folks in cars honk, roll their windows down, ask questions. I stopped to get gas yesterday, two people came by to ask about and compliment the car. This incessant attention might get old after a while, buy right now I think it is absolutely cool.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

If you bought a new SPF, didn't you get a MSO with it?

Mark
Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC
Send a message via AIM to cgsincc
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas56 View Post
This incessant attention might get old after a while, buy right now I think it is absolutely cool.
It never stops and it never gets old!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I did get an MSO.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All you need to do is get the car inspected at any inspection place and get the certificate of inspection form. It is so easy to get these things titled in Texas. Do a search on this forumn there is a post detailing all forms etc. You are registering as an assembled vehilce. 2010, make sure under remarks it notes Replica 1965 Ford as it should and is clearly spelled out in the txdot instructions.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

state inspection is what I am talking about.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

You DO NOT NEED A VTR-68-A. The MSO is the original virgin title and bears the VIN #, so your efforts with law enforcement and TXDPS/DMW are not only not needed, they are a waste.

Step one is to get your insurance from an agent dealing in these cars (like Robin at Midwest Classic) and make sure the insurance matches the MSO (1965 Cobra). Then go get it SAFETY inspected only, no emission required. Tell the inspector to enter it into the state computer just like the insurance (1965 Cobra) and they will. Then take the insurance, inspection receipt and MSO to the county tax assessor office where you buy your normal car tags. They'll do the rest. Now more than likely, your car will end up being titled as a 2010 Assembled Vehicle (ASVE) with the notation "1965 Cobra Replica" shown on the title face. If you get lucky you might find an old school title clerk to title it as a 1965, but doubtful as TXDMV has a mandate to stop that practice.

There is also the debate about sales tax, as you purchases a roller kit car and historically the State assumed you paid incremental sales tax on all the parts, and as such does not collect sales tax on the completed car. You may or may not be asked to pay sales tax.

P.S. You can either buy new normal Texas plates or supply a set of vintage 1965 plates (available from various collectors online and Craigslist) and surrender those at the time of registration. As long as they are authentic and not assigned to any other car in Texas, they can be assigned to your Cobra.

Last edited by elmariachi; 03-29-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
You DO NOT NEED A VTR-68-A. The MSO is the original virgin title and bears the VIN #, so your efforts with law enforcement and TXDPS/DMW are not only not needed, they are a waste.

Step one is to get your insurance from an agent dealing in these cars (like Robin at Midwest Classic) and make sure the insurance matches the MSO (1965 Cobra). Then go get it SAFETY inspected only, no emission required. Tell the inspector to enter it into the state computer just like the insurance (1965 Cobra) and they will. Then take the insurance, inspection receipt and MSO to the county tax assessor office where you buy your normal car tags. They'll do the rest. Now more than likely, your car will end up being titled as a 2010 Assembled Vehicle (ASVE) with the notation "1965 Cobra Replica" shown on the title face. If you get lucky you might find an old school title clerk to title it as a 1965, but doubtful as TXDMV has a mandate to stop that practice.

There is also the debate about sales tax, as you purchases a roller kit car and historically the State assumed you paid incremental sales tax on all the parts, and as such does not collect sales tax on the completed car. You may or may not be asked to pay sales tax.

P.S. You can either buy new normal Texas plates or supply a set of vintage 1965 plates (available from various collectors online and Craigslist) and surrender those at the time of registration. As long as they are authentic and not assigned to any other car in Texas, they can be assigned to your Cobra.
This is "pretty close" to what I did a few months ago down here in Johnson County. I have asked lots of different people about exactly what the people at the Sub-Courthouse did or required during the registration process. I have yet to find two people that had exactly the same experience.

I built my car from a Factory Five Racing Kit. I used some parts from a 1989 Ford Mustang that I purchased at a car auction and lots of other parts from a variety of sources.

In my case I obtained insurance as described above and had the car listed on the insurance card as a 1965 Factory Five Cobra Roadster.

I then went to a standard Texas State Inspection Station and had the car inspected. They issued my Inspection Certificate and also provided a "GREEN SHEET" which is what the people at the Sub-Courthouse will want when you register it. The Green Sheet listed my car just like it was listed on the insurance card. I wasn't required to pass emissions, even though my car is EFI. Remember, the insurance card says 1965.

I then took my Insurance Card, MCO from Factory Five, Inspection Green Sheet and documentation of ownership on my donor parts to the Johnson County Sub-Courthouse. I was required to pay sales tax on the cost of the out of state kit purchase only along with all the other title/registration fees. At one point the woman said that I was going to have to provide a photo of the car, but then later seemed to forget about it as we continued to have a friendly chat. (I didn't have a photo with me.)

They issued me a title and listed my car on the title as a 1965 Factory Five Replica Roadster, which happens to be how the car was listed on the Factory Five MCO.

The people at the sub-courthouse can really make it very difficult to get your car titled and registered, so be prepared to do some tactful and respectful negotiating if things aren't going exactly how you want. For example, maybe they are attempting to charge you sales tax, but are registering it as a 1965. If that was the case you might want to just pay the sales tax and get out of there with your 1965 title. If you make them start looking stuff up, they may require other stuff that could be a pain or decide to register your car as a 2010 Assembled Vehicle, so pick your battles wisely!

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!
FFR MKIII Roadster #5392

Last edited by Stoney FFR; 03-29-2010 at 08:55 PM..
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 525HP/490TQ, Mass Flow EFI
Not Ranked     

the process as outlined by ElMariachi is correct. Technically, the inspection station is called a "waiver station". State operated and functions as the tech inspector/state inspector. the one in Collin county is 972-423-9846, address is 830 Central Pkwy East, #325, Plano. call and set up an appointment. I am told there is a "waiver station"for every county. the collin county crew can tell you where to go for the county you live in.
As noted: 1st get insurance - proof. 2nd - get in inspected, 3rd, register it. And of course bring you MSO.
You will want to drive the cobra to the inspection station, 1) get your insurance, 2) go to DMV get a 1 day driving pass, 3) mount temp plate to the car; 4) get it inspected same day, 5) go back to DMV and get your permanent liscense plate (a full days work) , 6) cruise

Francis
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have all the other stuff done, photograph of car, car weighed, car inspected, insurance, forms 130U, VTR61, VTR470, VTR270, VI30A. Dallas County says I have to have form VTR-68-A to get a title, so I am going to go ahead and get that done. Having worked through Dallas County, DPS, Dallas Police Department, back to Dallas County, the Auto Theft Task Force, and back to Dallas Police Department, I finally found the answer. The Dallas Police Department will do these inspections (contrary to what they told me yesterday), for Dallas residents only, and by appointment only, with early morning time slots Tuesday through Friday. My appointment is Thursday, hope to have title stuff done and plates by end of week. For those in Dallas, the number is 214-670-5900. Thank you all for help and advice.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Something is funny the MSO already has the vin number, Best of luck. It is written in txdot law you do not pay taxes the first time an assembled vehilce is titled, on the application for texas title check taxes expemt and write assembled by owner.

Quote:
I have all the other stuff done, photograph of car, car weighed, car inspected, insurance, forms 130U, VTR61, VTR470, VTR270, VI30A. Dallas County says I have to have form VTR-68-A to get a title, so I am going to go ahead and get that done. Having worked through Dallas County, DPS, Dallas Police Department, back to Dallas County, the Auto Theft Task Force, and back to Dallas Police Department, I finally found the answer. The Dallas Police Department will do these inspections (contrary to what they told me yesterday), for Dallas residents only, and by appointment only, with early morning time slots Tuesday through Friday. My appointment is Thursday, hope to have title stuff done and plates by end of week. For those in Dallas, the number is 214-670-5900. Thank you all for help and advice.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yesterday, three Dallas Police Department detectives spent forty-five minutes under my car looking for (and finding) serial numbers. (And a few other officers came over to admire by baby.) They completed the VTR-68-A form. They were very helpful, no fee. I then went to the Dallas County tax/car title office. I had a picture of the car, which got everyone's attention and generated lots of conversation They were also very helpful. End of story: I got title and plates, shown as 2010, with remarks that it is a 1965 replica. (My inspection sticker shows 1965 replica, which means I don't have to pass current emissions standards.) If anyone in Dallas has to go through this, PM me, I might be able to help. Big time hassle, I spent close to two days on this, but you have to do it to get a title, and it is one time only. Love my baby.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 525HP/490TQ, Mass Flow EFI
Not Ranked     

cruising yet? pictures?

Francis
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, cruising Francis. I will have to figure out how to post pictures. This is a very, very bad boy. Everywhere I go, people's eyes light up, they wave, give me high fives, want to talk about the car. Love the attention, big time, don't think it will ever get old.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
don't think it will ever get old.
It will...

Along with the other comments: "I know someone that had a real one" "Is it real?" "What year is it?" "A Cobra? It doesn't even look like a Mustang"
FFR MKIII Roadster #5392
Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #776, 445 FE
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 776 is finally registered and on the road

Quote:
Thanks to all the good advise on this thread, I was able to get everything done in one morning. Inspection at 9am; registration sticker and plates on the car at 11:30. Just turned 100 miles yesterday (short trips in this 100+ degree heat). Lots of tweaks yet to do, but that's half the fun.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgitchel View Post
Thanks to all the good advise on this thread, I was able to get everything done in one morning. Inspection at 9am; registration sticker and plates on the car at 11:30. Just turned 100 miles yesterday (short trips in this 100+ degree heat). Lots of tweaks yet to do, but that's half the fun.
Congratulations! It is great to see another ERA hitting the streets in the Dallas area. Looking forward to seeing you and your car at upcoming 1st Saturday breakfasts ...

Sam
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
Congratulations! It is great to see another ERA hitting the streets in the Dallas area. Looking forward to seeing you and your car at upcoming 1st Saturday breakfasts ...

Sam
Thanks Sam,

I'm definitely planning on making it out soon.

Tim
Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Let's see some pics of the new car....
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by tgitchel; 08-15-2011 at 04:10 PM..