Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default Car Registration Problem

I just bought a Superformance from someone in Michigan and took it to be inspected without success.
The problem is that it was registered in Michigan by the original owner as a 2004 (year of manufacture), so the garages performing inspection want to perform both the safety and emissions test. I don't believe it will pass the emissions test and even if it does, I don't want to be locked into having to maintain emissions requirements.
Is there any way to register the car as a 65 or 66?
Has anyone else run into this situation?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Stan
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I didn't have the probem as my car carries a 1966 Ford VIN, but in your case you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and just go with having it compliant. Word on the street is that the DPS is not happy with the automotive enthusiast contingent and that in the near future there will be crackdowns.

I think I'll change my replica to a Kansas title/registration. When I do that I can buy "Antique" plates for the car ( one time fee of $17) and thereafter I don't have to pay for the "registration" part of the road fees from then on, only the property tax part (yes, KS does levy property taxes on vehicles, but in the case of my Honda Accord the overall cost of the registration is very close, maybe just a very small bit higher in KS). Kansas has no usage restrictions, unlike TX, for "antique" plates.

I think we ought to start lobbying our state legislators to adopt the SEMA registration plan, a lot of states have done so already (but, then, you know how our governor likes to maintain his "independence", so I suspect it would be a hard sell right now).

There's a "registration" forum on the site, I'll come back and add a link as an edit.

Registration Forum - Club Cobra

Cheers, Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 10-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: added link to CC's registration forum
Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Stan, contact Randy at Performance Unlimited he can probably get you intouch with someone that has done this. As for my self the state of Md they would register my car as the year of mfg, 07 and emissions inspection. Got a emission execempt from the state by taking pictures of engine and all around car then sent me a exempt signed paper to keep in glove box. Also check with scof or Second Strike good tech information on SPF's.

Bill
Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

First of all, get your insurance issued as a 1965/66 Cobra, whatever you choose. If you need a solid insurer who can handle this, call Robbin and Norma Terry and Midwest Classics. Once you have the insurance card, take it and the car to a local Kwik Lube or similar oil change shop. Leave the title at home. The Kwik Lube will initiate a record in the TX DMV computer for the fist time as a 1965 or 1966 Cobra because that's what your insurance says. They'll inspect it for safety only (no emissions) and give you a receipt, $14.50. Take that, your insurance card, your Michigan title and your check book and go to the local tax assessor office. They will do the rest and you will walk out titled and tagged. FYI, this is the LEGITIMATE way to do this.

Jim

P.S. Scrape the Michigan stickers off of the windshield beforehand.

Last edited by elmariachi; 10-09-2011 at 08:45 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

WAY COOL!!

I had no idea it could be done like that, SO glad to hear it.

Lets hope the rumors on the street aren't true.......sounds to me like we can expect the hassles Californians have had with their SB100 precedures if they are!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Thank you for the tip.
It took some talking, but my insurer did send me an insurance card listing the vehicle year as 1965. Hagerty have been very helpful on this.
I will return to the inspection station this afternoon.
I'll post a note to let others know how it goes.
Wish me luck!
Stan
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Good Luck sounds too simple!

Bill