Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   SB-100 in Texas (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/113463-sb-100-texas.html)

TimG427 11-30-2011 06:49 AM

SB-100 in Texas

I’m looking at purchasing a Cobra that is titled under the California SB-100 program and I’d be bringing it into Travis County where smog is required. This car is titled as a 2006 and I’m concerned about needing smog and Texas inspection (green sheet). I don’t want to unwind the SB-100 as that makes it an attractive car to send back to California if it’s sold, but to try to pacify all the requirements set out for a 2006 vehicle will be difficult for me. Has anyone else been in this position?

rustyBob 11-30-2011 11:02 AM

if a California car with a sb-100 is sold, that sb-100 number is lost forever....if it goes back to California it will need a new sb-100 number.....

davidk 11-30-2011 11:02 AM

Might start by looking here.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texa...ned-perry.html
There are some other posts on this forum with recommendations as well.

davidk 11-30-2011 11:09 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texa...n-problem.html
Comment by El Mariachi seems seems to be the route to get your car titled in Tx

Randy Rosenberg 11-30-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyBob (Post 1163615)
if a California car with a sb-100 is sold, that sb-100 number is lost forever....if it goes back to California it will need a new sb-100 number.....

Really? I always thought that the SB-100 Smog Exempt Sequence number was associated with the VIN in the CA DMV database. So, if the VIN doesn't change, then how does it Sequence number get disassociated from the VIN? Or am I missing something here?

rustyBob 11-30-2011 03:47 PM

the sb-100 number only smog exempts the car for as long as the original owner owns the car....it has nothing to do with the vin#.....you can license a car without the sb-100 but it must pass all the smog requirements....

Randy Rosenberg 11-30-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyBob (Post 1163652)
the sb-100 number only smog exempts the car for as long as the original owner owns the car....it has nothing to do with the vin#.....you can license a car without the sb-100 but it must pass all the smog requirements....

Interesting. What is your source for this information?

Rick Parker 11-30-2011 06:57 PM

Randy: rustyBob is correct. If the car is registered in another jurisdiction it becomes titled in that State, the California Title and registration are surrendered thus the California Registration is no longer valid and the SB100 sequence number is forfited. if and when it is re-entered into the California Registration data base, it is treated like any other incoming car, and must meet all the THEN current requirements for either standard registration (like our daily drivers) or the requirments for becoming SB100 complient. A long & winding road.

gsharapa 11-30-2011 07:55 PM

No issues in Texas as the car now will be titled as the year it replicas ie; 1965 or 1966 Cobra. No emissions test just saftey inspection.

Got the Bug 11-30-2011 08:42 PM

SB100 just isn't a big deal in California these days. Demand is way down and people were still able to get sequence numbers late in to the year.

Unless demand picks up in a big way, having an SB100 adds virtually no value to a car's resale value.

roadrod2000 11-30-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 1163724)
SB100 just isn't a big deal in California these days. Demand is way down and people were still able to get sequence numbers late in to the year.

Unless demand picks up in a big way, having an SB100 adds virtually no value to a car's resale value.

I disagree, you are correct about the demand for the numbers but a car that has the SB100 number is SMOG EXEMPT and legally titled.

Got the Bug 11-30-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrod2000 (Post 1163739)
I disagree, you are correct about the demand for the numbers but a car that has the SB100 number is SMOG EXEMPT and legally titled.

True. But if you walk into the DMV with any legally titled Cobra from another State, you can snag an SB100 sequence number and be smog exempt for life.

My point is that if you're looking for a car, SB100 can easily be obtained whether a car has been pre-registered or is a new build.

roadrod2000 11-30-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 1163742)
True. But if you walk into the DMV with any legally titled Cobra from another State, you can snag an SB100 sequence number and be smog exempt for life.

My point is that if you're looking for a car, SB100 can easily be obtained whether a car has been pre-registered or is a new build.

OK, but as long as it was Pre-registered properly from another state and not one of the many improperly registered California cars.

SkipB 12-01-2011 06:54 AM

I thought SB100 was for new builds only. What does SB1578 cover? I assumed it was for existing cars such as those from out of state. Or am I not understanding this wonderful State of California stuff?

SkipB

392cobra 12-01-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharapa (Post 1163714)
No issues in Texas as the car now will be titled as the year it replicas ie; 1965 or 1966 Cobra. No emissions test just saftey inspection.

Tim,,
If you can wade through and ignore the thread hijacking California chatter
about a non-Texas SB-100 problem,Gary gave you the correct answer.:rolleyes:

elmariachi 12-01-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 392cobra (Post 1163795)
Tim,,
If you can wade through and ignore the thread hijacking California chatter
about a non-Texas SB-100 problem,Gary gave you the correct answer.:rolleyes:

x2. Process will be to get the car in your possession, get it insured by a specialty insurer as a 1965/1966 and then take that insurance card ONLY to an inspection station of your choosing and ask for a $14.50 SAFETY inspection. If you have your swagger going and choose the right place (I like Firestone's and Jiffy Lubes, where they have been sued to the edge of the solar system for wrecking customer cars) you will tell them YOU will drive THEM for the brake check, for they will fear the alternative. They will give you the safety receipt and with it, your Cali title and your signed bill of sale you'll head off the the local Travis County Tax Assessor Office where you will apply for a title and receive your license plates. You will pay sales tax on your transaction at 6.25% and you'll spend another $100 or so getting plates. Then you will go out on 1431 and put it through its paces.

Giddy up.

rustyBob 12-01-2011 08:47 AM

I wish it was that easy here in Cali.....

part of the original post asked about returning the car back to Cali.
with the Cali. title and the SB-100....once the car is sold they are
both null and void....
you would have to start the process again....

RodKnock 12-01-2011 09:34 AM

The SB100/SB1578 process is about putting a price on your time. It's not rocket science, but you do have to take time to go to the DMV at least a couple times, the BAR referee, CHP and probably a Brake & Light inspection.

Assuming, you've done everything correctly, like now needing a PCV, then that's about it. For me, I'd rather spend the time doing other things, so buying a car with the exemption already makes that car worth more to me. By how much? I dunno.

CSX4350 03-02-2012 08:50 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm looking at a Daytona Coupe in Arizona and it's registered as a 2006 Assembled Vehicle with an Arizona assigned VIN. The car is street legal but barely streetable. I'm really worried about buying it and having problems titling and registering it here. It should pass a 1964 inspection but definitely not a 2006 inspection. If I go the route El Mariachi describes, what does that do since the current title shows it as a 2006 Assembled? I'm a bit confused, and I sure don't want to buy a car I can't title.

Thanks

CowtownCobra 03-03-2012 05:25 AM

Me thinks you worry too much. I've seen many cars barely out of the gocart phase get licensed here.