21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-22-2001, 05:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Registration

Can anyone give me some info on registering my CMC kit cobra in Texas? I will be finishing my car in the next few months, and would like to hear from someone who has been through the process. Can it be registered as a 1965, or does it have to be registered as a current year new car? Also, is it a lot of trouble? Thanks, David.
Old 11-22-2001, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

David, piece o' cake...I just finished mine, and had lotsa angst leading up to it. I used Titles Unlimited in Alabama ($200), great service, no hassles. Registered car as a '66 Cobra, then called my regular insurance carrier to get liability-only coverage, for inspection purposes (call Dan Hardiman in Tyler for the real insurance...good guy!). Then in one afternoon I took it to the inspection station and got the green form (this will involve a safety-only inspection if the car's registration year is 25 years ago or more), then to the tax collectors office and registered it. Only problem was that the lady at the tax office didn't believe that Alabama doesn't issue a title on cars before 1974, and looked it up in their book to confirm.
As a secondary issue, I have a little anxiety when I finish a car as to whether I have all the REAL safety issues worked out (most of the safety inspection items can be checked without turning a wheel), but the first test drive has a high pucker-factor...and you almost have to do it before you get the car inspected or registered, so you gotta watch out for the coppers too!
Good luck!
Old 11-22-2001, 08:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Thanks,Ken, good info. I have been dreading this. Looks like it will not be too bad. Thanks again, David.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Titles Unlimited is the only way to go. Several of us have done it that way with no hassles.
Jim
Old 11-22-2001, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Lubrecon
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, where do ya'll get together from time to time in Houston? I would like to meet up.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Titles Unlimited is the way to go!

David,
Titles Unlimited is the way to go!! I did it about two years ago & it works like a charm! However, don't jump the gun on using them, because your car NEEDS to be finished and ready to license because once you get the paperwork back from Richard Weaver in Alabama, you only have 30 days for delivery. Also, you should get insurance prior to applying with T.U., because If you have proof of insurance and a few additional $ (I think it ia about $15) you can get an Alabama license plate with your bill of sale. Also, you can get a Texas license plate(unissued year specific- ie 1965, 1966) from Larry Machacek in Porter, Texas and a year specific inspection sticker @ (281) 429-2505.
Get the car finished & call T.U. 1-800-325-8136 and follow his lead exactly to get it done.
Good luck,
John R.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

I second what John Russell stated. It works beautifully! Don't deviate from the order things need done. It's painless, legal and takes 15 minutes at the courthouse.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 11-26-2001, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David -
Got my paperwork from Titles Unlimited a couple of weeks ago. I needed my personalized plates from the Tax Assessor for Autorama, even though I am not ready to get it safety inspected, yet. I got special permission from the county office to get the title transferred (and plates) without the inspection. Even with this complication, it went through "slick as snot" as a 1967 Ford Cobra Roadster (and valued as a 1967 auto) with VIN of my choosing (within the parameters that Titles Unlimited will explain to you if you call them on their 800 number).
You should be seeing a pattern, here.
Regards,
Frank Newman