LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2001, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351 Windsor, 392 CI, 450 hp
Not Ranked     
Default "The DV & Team" to the rescue!

"The DV & Team" to the rescue!

I would like to extend a heart felt THANK YOU to Ed "Double Venom" and Diane Combs and Gary (DV's right hand man) for flying into Houston to help me with my Classics Roadsters Cobra this past weekend. Special thanks to the Houston Club Cobra members who helped, Dennis Mosley, Steve Rau, Pete Jeter and Mark Bautsch. Pete Johnson, Steve Kapp and Sara at Classic Roadster were very understanding and helpful in getting me the parts I needed. Also, special thanks to Enzo and Paula Alibrandi at Finish Line, Don Scott from Minn. Cobras, Tom Johnson from Superior Lifts, Tommy Beroth and the many other parts businesses across the country.

I picked the "DV Team" up from the Houston Airport Friday evening and took them to see my Cobra. When we arrived, Dennis, Steve and Pete were waiting on us. After a brief look at the car we went to dinner. After dinner, "The Team" was ready to tear into the car but we all decided to get some rest and start early Saturday morning.

At 5:45 AM Saturday we began. DV and Gary were great in directing Dennis, Steve, Pete and I and with their help and knowledge we made great strides. By the time I took them to the airport on Sunday, SIGNIFICANT improvements had been made and I felt a lot better about my Cobra.

If you are thinking of getting a Classic Roadster I can tell you it is a great car if assembled properly and DV and Gary know how to do that! I can't express how great it was to work with DV and Gary. Their attention to detail and complete knowledge of the Classic Roadster is truly amazing.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Yesser!
I propose we have DV change his name to "Dr. Venom"!!
I don't know how the Doctor found Gary, but what a find he is!! Gary has his arms around the overall subject of building hot rods, and works like a well oiled machine! Thank you Mrs Dr. Venom, for your support in the "war effort"!.....more to come..
SR

Last edited by Steve R; 12-12-2001 at 08:10 AM..
Old 12-17-2001, 07:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Wow, I am impressed!!

WOW,
This is impressive!I met Ed two years ago at the last leg of the Texas Triathlon, just after I got back from a BoyScout campout & drove over to MotorSport Ranch in my Cobra to catch the end of the event. I have talked to Ed on and off over the years since, and he has always impressed me as a man with a vast wealth of knowledge of building these cars in general and the Classic product in particular. It is obvious he is a "stand up" guy, but to come down to Texas and help one of our members rectify problems- with a car that I do not think he built, well this just speaks volumes about the man and his commitment to what he believes in.
Oh, by the way, I drive a Superformance and am not connected with Ed in any way, except to recognize the extraordinary when I see it.
John Russell
SPF#586
Old 12-17-2001, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
You are so right. DV is the real deal. He loves what he does for a living, and is truely concerned for people's safety.
He is defintely NOT the person who built Paul's car originally.
Steve
Old 12-17-2001, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up DV is the real deal

I have been visiting DV every week for several years, and 18 months ago I took the plunge and ordered a new CR 427. I have watched Ed and Gary carefully and their attention to detail and doing it right the first time is why my car will be as good as any in the country. The only input I had was to stipulate that EVERYTHING had to be new, and it is. It looks great so far and should be done after the first of the year. I can't wait to show it in the spring.

Thanks, Ed, Gary et al
Old 12-18-2001, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Rjellis,

When at Dv's shop last month, I saw a Cobra going together that had a supercharged 302. Is that your car?
SR
Old 12-18-2001, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Ed and Gary are indeed professionals! I was great to meet them and I even learned a few things. My car is now in my garage up on stands as I "borrow" a few of their ideas and make my car just a little better.

Thumbs up to Ed and Gary!
Old 12-21-2001, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking steve r

I beleive the car you saw is mine.Ed has since painted the body and is in the process of finishing the chasis. Ed never paints a car when the body is on the chassis
Old 12-21-2001, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Rjellis,
Nice car! That supercharger installation is really trick. Hey, Christmas is coming...I've been good all year, and could sure use an extra Cobra in the garage!
See you at the Spring Fling,
SR
Old 12-21-2001, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     

Any pictures of the supercharger installed ?
Old 12-22-2001, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Dave,
I don't have any spy photos, And my guess is that if Rjellis showed you, he would have to kill you
Steve
Old 12-22-2001, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,
That's a shame, I had so much trouble squeezing my supercharger and intercooler into the small space that I just wanted to see how someone else did it.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Dave,
I think we did it kind of trick, not sure if Steve actually saw the final install. As soon as I get my home computer up and running I'll try and post some pics of it.
Dv

P.s.. thanks for the kind compliments fellas. Not needed though, but glad we were of some help.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
Here's mine if you're interested..

Blower is hanging off the right head, intercooler off the left and the Mondo valve in the middle.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Always interested!

Looks to be a very neat install. Dicks, Rjellis, wont be using the intercooler. We used the Paxton for Dicks. Looks to be about twice the size as your charger. Still waiting to get my computer back.....

DV
Old 12-23-2001, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
The intercooler made a huge difference to the intake air charge. At 10 psi boost, the blower was pushing out air @ 170F. The intercooler takes out 100F. of that, in fact, the intake charge is usually only 10- 20 F. above ambient temperature whether under vacuum or boost.