Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Texas ASVE Title and the VTR-63 Form?

This is a really narrow question. I expect there are a couple people in TX who have gone through the new title process with a NEW ASSEMBLED VEHICLE, not previously titled, and used this form.

I have been parsing the recently published ASSEMBLED and REBUILT VEHICLE MANUAL so I can prepare the mountain of evidence needed to title a new GT40, built from a rolling chassis manufactured in South Africa.

One of the pieces of evidence is a "VTR-63 Component Part Bill of Sale" - which is required for the motor of the vehicle. My question is: Did you use this form for your brand new motor? The form implies that the component came from another vehicle, and asks for the old car's VIN and the signature of the person who sold it to you. How did you fill that out for a new aftermarket purchased motor? In the past I have used the engine builder's invoice to prove ownership of the motor.

Sam
Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
This is a really narrow question. I expect there are a couple people in TX who have gone through the new title process with a NEW ASSEMBLED VEHICLE, not previously titled, and used this form.

I have been parsing the recently published ASSEMBLED and REBUILT VEHICLE MANUAL so I can prepare the mountain of evidence needed to title a new GT40, built from a rolling chassis manufactured in South Africa.

One of the pieces of evidence is a "VTR-63 Component Part Bill of Sale" - which is required for the motor of the vehicle. My question is: Did you use this form for your brand new motor? The form implies that the component came from another vehicle, and asks for the old car's VIN and the signature of the person who sold it to you. How did you fill that out for a new aftermarket purchased motor? In the past I have used the engine builder's invoice to prove ownership of the motor.

Sam
I followed the new process very recently to title and register my FFR Roadster, powered by a new crate engine from Forte's. I filled in the VTR-63 with the statement "Purchased new, see invoice" and attached the invoice. Seemed to work, received my Custom Vehicle plates and TX title with no issues.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Sam,
I'm going through that process also. I understand that an invoice for a new motor satisfies the requirement.
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Registration

I about to go through this process to register my new Backdraft.

Anyone used the new HB-890 process?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I answered all of Sam's questions a few weeks ago already. am9648 what do you need to know?
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So with G-Pete's guidance, I plan to go forward with:
VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, bearing the signature of Dennis Olthoff as the assembler, plus the invoices for chassis, motor, trans,
VTR-130U Title Application,
VTR-852 ASE Inspection augmented by the ASE Certification print out from the inspector,
certified weight certificate,
a photo or rubbing of the VIN plate,
3 photos of my car,
1 photo of an original 1966 car,
MCO (whew!)

I'm seeing the ASE mechanic on Monday to get the VTR-852 and his ASE report, then it's on to the Collin County Title Office

I will report back

Sam

Here's a peep at the object in question:
Attached Images

BDR0572 likes this.

Last edited by SSSammy; 01-16-2015 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: add comment on VIN plate
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by am9648 View Post
I about to go through this process to register my new Backdraft.

Anyone used the new HB-890 process?
Yes, we are discussing that process, which leads to the "Custom Vehicle" registration.

Sam
Old 01-16-2015, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm seeing the ASE mechanic on Monday to get the VTR-852 and his ASE report, then it's on to the Collin County Title Office
Sam,
Can't wait to see your car in person!

I need the same form signed. Where are you going to get it done?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Sam,

Last March for the Cobra, I used:
Auto Repair & Tires - Frisco, TX 75034-4320 - 2665 Main St | Firestone Complete Auto Care

They were a $14.50 and you're done place. I have not called them recently.

Currently, I am using G-Pete's place:
Home - Carr's Corvettes & Customs
{edit: Carr's no longer has a qualified tech, their ASE is missing 3 of the 8 certifications}

The difference is they will charge me a lot more, but I can't let one of Firestone's tire busters drive the GT40, it is too temperamental. They think they have to drive the car and do a panic stop to see if the brakes work.

{edit: Try this Firestone, I had success there today and the store manager supervised the inspection. No one drove the GT40 but me, and I stood by during the inspection. Cost $50 plus tax for a thorough inspection that took about an hour. I left him with a copy of the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual so he can refer to it with future customers.

Firestone Complete Auto Care
2105 W. 15th St
Plano, TX 75075
972-596-6600
Ask for the manager: Tim Tinsley }

Sam

Last edited by SSSammy; 01-19-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G-Pete

I did not see your reply to Sam.

I am curious how difficult it is to register as a custom car. How much paperwork is involved? One form calls for an ASE cert inspector but I have also read they have to be a "master" mech.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Here's the whole process ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by am9648 View Post
G-Pete

I did not see your reply to Sam.

I am curious how difficult it is to register as a custom car. How much paperwork is involved? One form calls for an ASE cert inspector but I have also read they have to be a "master" mech.
Let me give a comprehensive answer, please. There is now only one prescribed way for you to register your new BDR according to current TX DMV regs. The DMV has embodied the guidance from the legislature in the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual (see the link in the first post above). You need to download that and read the portions that pertain to assembled vehicles and custom vehicles. Your BDR will become a Custom Vehicle, Replica 1965 Ford, with a year of manufacture as called out by your MSO/MCO, and manufacturer as stated on the MSO/MCO.

The DMV is very strict in the manual .. The VTR 852 for a new assembled vehicle must be signed by an ASE Certified Master Technician who is current in categories A1 through A8. The technician must provide you with a print out of his certificate status report that shows he is current in all 8 categories (that is what makes him a Master technician).

The steps are in this order:
Get an insurance card that describes the car as a "1965 Ford 2DR Roadster (or Convertible) Replica."
Go to the county title clerk and get a 30 day paper tag so you can legally drive the car to the ASE inspection and certified public scales.
Have the ASE inspection done and VTR 852 signed (the ASE will need to see the insurance card)
Have the car weighed and get a weight certificate at a truck stop

Proceed to the county title and registration office with the following:
VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, bearing the signature of the assembler, plus the invoices for chassis, motor, trans,
VTR-130U Title Application, description exactly per the MSO
VTR-852 ASE Inspection augmented by the ASE Certification print out from the inspector,
VTR-63 Component Part Bill of Sale,
Weight certificate,
Photo or rubbing of the VIN plate,
3 photos of your car,
1 photo of an original 1965 Cobra,
MSO
Your checkbook.

As far as DMV is concerned, you are titling a new assembled vehicle that you purchased as a collection of components. Never mind how it seems to have arrived in your possession as a complete automobile. The presumption is that any sales tax due on these components has already been paid by you when you bought them. So there is no 6.25% vehicle sales tax due on a car registered in this way. Now if you bought a previously registered car with a title, then it is a different story. That would be a used car and tax is due.

None of this is difficult. Tedious, yes. Pain in the posterior, yes. If you can do your Federal Income Tax, this is not hard. Stupid? Sure. Good luck! Report back on how it went so others can learn ...

Sam

Last edited by SSSammy; 01-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: added VTR-63 per later discussions
Old 01-17-2015, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sam,

I realize this question is asked of the Dallas area, but if anyone in Houston is thinking about the same thing, I had my inspection done at Freedom Automotive, Stafford. You will need to ask for the owner, John Miller, who is the Master Tech himself.

I had a heck of a time in the Sugarland area finding a Master Tech who would do it. Four shops who advertised themselves as ASE Certified didn't actually have a currently certified Master Tech available; and two that had wouldn't touch the form out of liability concerns. Freedom Automotive were the 7th shop I went to and fortunately I seemed to pique the curiosity of John Miller who seems a bit of an enthusiast himself.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SEMA Model Legislation

Yes, ASE Masters are hard to find. This BS is the result of the legislature just doing a block copy and paste on the SEMA Model Legislation for Custom Vehicles and Hot Rods. SEMA, in addition to being an industry group with a fantastic annual convention, is a business lobby. They wrote the requirement to support wider adoption of the ASE certification process. Thanks a lot SEMA, I recall how we used to wish for some rationality to come to the TX kit car/replica titling process. Well, we got what we wished for

To close out the VTR-63 question in the original post, the answer is: the VTR-63 form is only required if you are using components from a salvage or other previously titled vehicle. The purpose is to track salvaged parts that make it back into road going vehicles. Only relevant if you are re-purposing an old car into a new Cobra. However it is a good idea to prepare the form and cite "Assembled Vehicle" as the prior owner of the motor and trans just in case the clerk insists that the form is required.

Sam

Last edited by SSSammy; 01-18-2015 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: VTR-63 underscored comment added
Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
To close out the VTR-63 question in the original post, the answer is: the VTR-63 form is only required if you are using components from a salvage or other previously titled vehicle. The purpose is to track salvaged parts that make it back into road going vehicles. Only relevant if you are re-purposing an old car into a new Cobra.

Sam
The manual states you have submit the VTR-63, no matter if the main parts, body, engine, transmission and frame new or used.
Better go with a completed paperwork to the DMV - they are very picky with custom vehicles now.

Now two things :
The manual states clearly more RACE CARS (02-2014) so when you submit pictures of an "original" car it is better to submit a "street" version.

Second, yes it is hard to find a master A-1 to A-8 but you have never a inspection anymore! The custom registered cars don't need one.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-18-2015, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
you have never a inspection anymore! The custom registered cars don't need one.
That is nice. There is a comment on the form that suggests keeping a copy in the car in case the nice policeman isn't aware of that feature.

That's a good suggestion. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK Pete! I will bring a VTR-63 for the benefit of any menu driven clerk that I encounter. Good idea .. be prepared .. easy to throw it on the pile

Yes, I have a photo of a nice "street" GT40 that I am assured was driven only by the little old lady from Pasadena to church on Sunday ...

Sam
Old 01-18-2015, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Texas ASVE Title and the VTR-63 Form

Thanks SSSammy and ram-g.

I guess I have some work ahead of me.

Quote:
Let me give a comprehensive answer, please. There is now only one prescribed way for you to register your new BDR according to current TX DMV regs. The DMV has embodied the guidance from the legislature in the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual (see the link in the first post above). You need to download that and read the portions that pertain to assembled vehicles and custom vehicles. Your BDR will become a Custom Vehicle, Replica 1965 Ford, with a year of manufacture as called out by your MSO/MCO, and manufacturer as stated on the MSO/MCO.

The DMV is very strict in the manual .. The VTR 852 for a new assembled vehicle must be signed by an ASE Certified Master Technician who is current in categories A1 through A8. The technician must provide you with a print out of his certificate status report that shows he is current in all 8 categories (that is what makes him a Master technician).

The steps are in this order:
Get an insurance card that describes the car as a "1965 Ford 2DR Roadster (or Convertible) Replica."
Go to the county title clerk and get a 30 day paper tag so you can legally drive the car to the ASE inspection and certified public scales.
Have the ASE inspection done and VTR 852 signed (the ASE will need to see the insurance card)
Have the car weighed and get a weight certificate at a truck stop

Proceed to the county title and registration office with the following:
VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, bearing the signature of the assembler, plus the invoices for chassis, motor, trans,
VTR-130U Title Application, description exactly per the MSO
Weight certificate,
Photo or rubbing of the VIN plate,
3 photos of your car,
1 photo of an original 1965 Cobra,
MSO
Your checkbook.

As far as DMV is concerned, you are titling a new assembled vehicle that you purchased as a collection of components. Never mind how it seems to have arrived in your possession as a complete automobile. The presumption is that any sales tax due on these components has already been paid by you when you bought them. So there is no 6.25% vehicle sales tax due on a car registered in this way. Now if you bought a previously registered car with a title, then it is a different story. That would be a used car and tax is due.

None of this is difficult. Tedious, yes. Pain in the posterior, yes. If you can do your Federal Income Tax, this is not hard. Stupid? Sure. Good luck! Report back on how it went so others can learn ...

Sam
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
[EDIT] Never mind. I was able to get it done on-line. I input the serial number and it took. Printed up the temporary tag and now I'm good to go. Thanks!

As the Staples button says "THAT WAS EASY!"

Sam,
What info do you need to get the 30 day tag?
I tried to get the form on-line but it required a VIN number.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by dallas_; 01-19-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
[EDIT] Never mind. I input the serial number and it took. Printed it up and I'm good to go. Thanks!

As the Staples button says "THAT WAS EASY!"

Sam,
What info do you need to get the 30 day tag?
I tried to get the form on-line but it required a VIN number.

Thanks,
John
Well, great! They did ask me for my insurance card, that's all ...

Sam
Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Plano ASE Master Technician - Verified!

I struck out at Carr's Corvettes. Their ASE Tech was missing three of the 8 qualifications. Even though I asked the question about three different ways. Finally, when I was about to pull the car into the shop, his light went on and he went and checked his status. No go ...

Try this Firestone, I had success there today and the store manager supervised the inspection. No one drove the GT40 but me, and I stood by during the inspection. Cost $50 plus tax for a thorough inspection that took about an hour. I left him with a copy of the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual so he can refer to it with future customers.

Firestone Complete Auto Care
2105 W. 15th St
Plano, TX 75075
972-596-6600
Ask for the manager: Tim Tinsley

With any of these guys, be sure to mention that you are not looking for a "state inspection." You are needing an ASE Master Technician "Custom Vehicle Title and Registration Inspection - VTR 852 form." Whole different deal ...

Sam