Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Richard Rogers

Very sorry to report that Richard Rogers passed away last night after a courageous battle with cancer. Richard always went out of his way to make people feel welcome and join the Cobra group. He was a great ambassador and friend and will be missed. Mike
Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Condolences to the Rogers Family

Our wishes for peace and comfort go to Richard's family. Richard fell in love with Cobra's at one of our events, bought his BDR, and jumped into the social aspect of the TCC. He helped organize several interstate road trips and was a great ambassador of our hobby. We'll miss the "snakebittexan" ..

Sam and MB Watson
Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default Sad indeed

Prayers to his family and friends on their loss. He will truly be missed by his cobra family as well because he was such of an addition to an already great group. This is a good day to reflect on such a brave yet gentle soul.

God speed Richard.

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 01-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4973
Not Ranked     

That is very sad news. Richard always had a smile to give as well as his friendship.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

All of my memories of Richard will be of a man living every day to the fullest... a true example to follow.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Keith Craft 460
Not Ranked     

Richard always had that great smile. I was fortunate to be friends with him outside the club. We talked weekly and met for lunch often. He gave his cancer a great fight and never *****ed about it once. He will be missed by everyone in the club.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Sad day in the Cobra community! R.I.P. Richard....
Old 01-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     
Default An amazing individual:

Link

From Restland and the Dallas Morning News:

ROGERS, Richard Louis Age 68, of Frisco, Texas passed away surrounded by his family on January 2, 2015. He fought with unparalleled resolve, grace and dignity, but finally succumbed to cancer and went home to God so he can watch over us until we meet again. Richard is a fifth generation Texas native from San Angelo and a long-time resident of North Texas by way of Clearwater, Florida, Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama. He was always a champion for the underdog and gave to others selflessly and without the need for recognition or reward. He worked hard behind the scenes to make everyone's lives he touched better in any way he could. He was an exceptional husband, father, son, brother, uncle, friend and mentor. Richard most enjoyed spending time with his wife, Janice, and his family, particularly his daughter, Cindi and her husband, Michael, as they were not only his children, but his best friends and traveling partners. Michael and Cindi moved into his and Janice's neighborhood several years ago so they could be closer not only in relationship, but also in proximity. Richard and Janice also traveled the world as a couple with friends, making multiple trips with Ron and Norma McCray, Kaaren Alexander and Sheri Parker. They eventually found a special place in their hearts for Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, where the people are warm and the afternoon margaritas are cold. In the past few years, he returned to SCUBA diving after serving as President of the Atlanta Skin Diving Club many years ago. His last dive trip was with Michael and Cindi in Cabo San Lucas, which, in his opinion, was a perfect day for a dive. Everyone who knows Richard knows golf was one of his many passions and one that he excelled at, despite never having the opportunity to feel the joy of watching that ever-elusive hole-in-one roll into the cup. His mother-in-law, Louise Terry, used to ask him after every round of golf if he had his hole-in-one and he would tell her "No, not today" and would ask "Why not?", which always made him smile. Every golfer knows "why not", but she wanted it to happen for him more than he did, if that is possible. For the past 23 years, Richard has been a golf member of Stonebriar Country Club in Frisco and served as Chairman of the Board for 6 years. Much of his social life revolved around the club where he made some of his greatest friendships and met his best friend and "second wife", Larry Crompton of Frisco, Texas. Richard, Larry and the other guys in his regular Saturday golf group, James Hensler, Dr. Jim Douglas, Gary Cooper, Arthur Chavoya, Gerry Mayer, John Kelly, Joel Wolfe, Tommy Lanoux, Mike Mehno, Greg DeCastro, Mike Restovich , Walt Barnes, Steve Dalrymple, Kevin Fitzhugh, Mike Welch and Pat Arthur had some of the best times together. They had opportunities to travel together, even playing The Old Course at St Andrews in Fife, Scotland. They were also known to play elaborate practical jokes on each other on a regular basis. There are many others he had the pleasure of playing with and never turned down the opportunity to do so. Stonebriar Country Club was also one of the places Richard quietly performed some of the charity work that was near and dear to him through the Briar Club. It was also where his daughter, Cindi married Michael and where he was the second person in the history of the club to receive the prestigious Heritage Award. There is not one person in the club from the club manager to the men's locker room attendant that Richard did not know personally and with whom he forged a personal relationship. Richard played an integral part in molding the club into the warm and welcoming place it is today for families and friends to gather. Richard was always a car buff and had a particular passion for muscle cars. His first love was an Austin Healey that he drove in high school. After a short detour into the world of Harley Davidson and several memorable road trips of a lifetime on his V-Rod and then his Road King Touring bike, he first purchased a Shelby Cobra convertible that lead him to join the Club Cobra Group of Dallas where he made fast and wonderful friends. This group took amazing trips together and was even profiled in The Plano Profile and ON magazines. But, as much as he enjoyed the Cobra, it was on an impromptu trip to Oklahoma to visit Classic Recreations where Jason Engle is rebuilding a limited number of authorized 1967 Shelby Cobra GT 500 CR Fastbacks that Janice surprised him when she purchased one for him on the spot. This was not only one of the biggest surprises of his life, but it was the moment that Richard finally had the keys to his ultimate dream car and made some very special new friends. He shared the joy this car brought to him with Jason Engle and Preston Lindsey of Classic Recreations wholeheartedly. Even some of Richard's closest friends may be surprised to know he was an accomplished magician and a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians. Over the years, he replaced magic with more time on the golf course, but he passed some of his best tricks to his grandson, Richard, who performed them in his school talent show. He had a good sleight of hand and kept his grandson entertained for hours prior to passing on his secrets. He was so proud of the upstanding man he had become and welcomed his fiance, Sarah Kelsey, an exceptional young woman , into the family with open arms. His only regret is that he was unable to see this beautiful couple marry. We know he will be with us to celebrate in May of this year in Cabo San Lucas. Richard worked as Senior Vice President of RBC Wealth Management for almost 20 years and in Financial Consulting for over 35 years. In that time, he not only assisted his clients with their financial goals, but more importantly, developed lifelong friendships. He worked very hard and strived to grow the wealth of those who entrusted him with their financial futures. He was appointed to the Chairman's Counsel or President's Counsel every year during his time with RBC. He was an active member of the Investment Management Consultant Association and Doctors Referral Service and taught Financial Planning at Samford University. He has served as President of the Dallas Exchange Club and as State Treasurer of Texas Exchange Clubs. As previously mentioned, Richard was a very active philanthropist, always striving to make the world a better place. He had a special place in his heart for children and was a dedicated volunteer at Children's Medical Center of Dallas, the organization most dear to his heart, for 20 years. Richard began serving Children's through his volunteer leadership in the Chip Moody Classic, which poetically combined his passion for the game of golf and his dedication to helping children. Richard was an active and innovative member of the Chip Moody Classic Committee for nearly 15 years, serving as Chairman for 6 of those years, helping to raise $2.5 million dollars for Children's Medical Center. Under his leadership, the Chip Moody Classic grew into one of the largest and most successful charity golf tournaments in the community. Richard also faithfully served as a board member for Children's Medical Center Foundation since 1999, serving on the Foundation's Executive Committee and the Investment Committee. He is also a member of the Bradford Society benefiting Children's. Richard is survived by his wife, best friend and soul mate of 39 years Janice Terry Rogers; his daughter, Dr. Cynthia Rogers Stuart and her husband, Michael Stuart of Frisco, Texas; his beloved grandson, Richard Stuart and his fiance, Sarah Kelsey, of Little Elm, Texas; his son Michael Rogers of Bluff City, Tennessee; and his grandson, Michael Rogers Hayes of Mansfield, Texas. He is also survived by his mother, Marcella Beasley of Bristol, Tennessee and his sister, Rachael Faye Rogers of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and many other extended family members locally and around the world. He considered his in-laws, Steven and Glenda Terry of Fairview, Texas; Bryce and Holli Terry of Lavon, Texas and their children, Bryan and Ayden; and Jeff and Celena Adcock of Allen, Texas and their children Kennedy, Jake and Luke in his closest family circle and loved them dearly. Pallbearers honoring Richard on his day of rest will be Larry Crompton, James Hensler, Dr. Rob Sanders, Dr. Jim Douglas, Jimmie Meador and Tim Koressel. Visitation will be held at Restland Funeral Home located at 13005 Greenville Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75243 on Monday, January 5, 2015 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Services will be held at Saint Andrew United Methodist Church located at 5801 West Plano Parkway, Plano, Texas 75093 at 1:00 PM on Tuesday, January 6, 2015. Graveside services will be held immediately following the funeral services at Restland Memorial Park. A reception will be held at Stonebriar Country Club located at 5050 Country Club Drive, Frisco, Texas 75034 immediately following the graveside services. For those who wish to do so, donations may be made in his memory to Children's Medical Center Foundation, 2777 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 700, Dallas, Texas 75207 or online at give.childrens.com.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard was a fabulous human being, an A in every category. Linda and I will miss him greatly. Here are a few pictures from better times.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I am sorry to hear about your loss of one of your members. Though I never knew him, it is always sad to lose a friend and someone that you have known. The TCC is a good bunch and I do know a few of them, so you all have my prayers and good wishes as well as the Rogers family.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Richard will be missed by a lot of people. Me included. He changed my life when he talked a number of us into the crazy idea of shipping or trailering our cars around the country and driving them through some of the most iconic landscapes in the U.S. That single act helped forge close friendships that I will cherish for the rest of my life. He was one of the good ones. The picture below is Richard and Janice and the Nepenthe Restaurant on PCH near Big Sur.

Jerry

Last edited by airspeed1; 01-08-2015 at 07:48 PM..