23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2001, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

4RE KLR -
Thanks for the tips. I hope I'll never need to put out a fire, but if I do, I'll be prepared. I also like Back in Black's idea of carrying a very sharp knife to cut the racing harnesses. Again, I hope I'll never have to, but I'll have the knife just in case.
I do remember reading about the SPF that flipped in a corner at Run & Gun 1998. That mental image has stayed with me since the day I heard about it.
Be sure we meet in Austin in February.
Scott
Old 12-31-2001, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

My Jeep wrangler burned to a crisp and would have taken my house out as well if I had not dragged it out of the garage before it really ignited. I was without a fire extinguisher at the time. Since then, I will not be without one(or two...I also have a suppression system in the cobra).

Stu
Old 12-31-2001, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I am a lucky man

Besides having a wife and two kids that love me I am the luckiest guy I know. I had the Buck knife in the jeep by shear accident. I had found it in the middle of the street TWO DAYS before the fire. I stoped at the light, literally opened the door and reached out and picked it up and put it on the dash. The dash on a jeep has a small crack between the dash and the windshield, and that is where the knife landed. I was very lucky that it was there when the Jeep caught on fire. I was horrified. The balck smaoke was so thick I could not see out of the windshield. Less than two feet in front of me. I, to this day do not know what made me think of that knife ( I could not see it) but I reached up on the dash and there it was. I put it against the seat belt and "SLITTTTTTT" one cut and it was gone. I guess God (Thank you God) had plans for me. Today I have two kids and I wife I did not have that day.

I am indeed a lucky man.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 12-31-2001, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW:

I STILL HAVE THE KNIFE!

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 12-31-2001, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

fyi.... Halon extingushers in various sizes are still available at GRIOTS GARAGE. 2lbs is about $185
Old 12-31-2001, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know if new Halotron is better, not as good, or just as effective as Halon?
If it is as good then it would seem to make sense to use the new Halotron type. Cheeper, not as harmful to the Ozone level and you can use new canisters.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:17 PM
BLACKJACK
Visit my Photo Gallery

Wink EH! MENZ-A-MENZ

HEY OAKIE,

THE NFPA (NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION) HAD A BULLETIN OUT A FEW YEARS AGO THAT INDICATED THAT HALON IS MARGINALY MORE EFFECTIVE THAN HALOTRON. THE CORBIN INSTITUTE REPORT ON THE COMPARISON WAS WORDED SOMEWHAT MORE STRONGLY. A LOCAL DEALER TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS "NO COMPARISON" HOWEVER, HE HAD A LOT OF HALON BOTTLES IN STOCK AT THE TIME THAT HE WAS PUSHING.

I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT FOR OUR PURPOSES THE DIFFERENCE IS PROBABLY ACADEMIC. I WILL, HOWEVER, GO OUT OF MY WAY AND PAY A PREMIUM FOR THE HALON BECAUSE I'M REALLY "ANAL" ABOUT THAT STUFF. ADDITIONALLY, I HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE HALON WORK. DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT THOUGH - - IT WAS INSIDE AN ENCLOSED SECURITY AREA. IT DID TURN A MINI RAGING INFERNO COMPLETELY OFF IN A HEARTBEAT. IT WAS AN AUTOMATIC DISCHARGE SYSTEM AND A COUPLE OF "CANISTERS" EXPLODED. HAD THE HALON BEEN ANY LESS EFFECTIVE WE WOULD HAVE ALMOST CERTAINLY LOST THE ENTIRE BUILDING - - ALONG WITH MY MOTHERS YOUNGEST SON.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT "AND SAFE" DAY AND NEW YEAR.

BLACKJACK
Old 01-02-2002, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to LS427SC
Not Ranked     

Tons of useful information here. Let me add a little more if you don't mind. First of all I am a fire man for a chemical plant and I service fire extinguishers every day. Halon extinguishers are good extinguishers when used within closed areas (if you are trying to put out a car fire with one outdoors, you may not be very successful due to the limited effective range). My choice would be a sodium based unit with an "A,B,C" rating. An "A" rating means the unit is designed for combustibles (trash, rubbish, etc...), a "B" rating is good for flammables (hydrocarbons, gasoline, oil, etc...), a"C" rating is good for electrical fires. There is actually a "D" rating also but should not pertain to most of us here (metal fires such as magnesium, aluminum, etc...). Yes, the halon units do not leave such a mess as the sodiums but think about it, YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE!, do you really care about a little residue? Let us all hope we never have to use one of those pretty chrome fire extinguishers on a Cobra! Hopefully this info was of some use for you guys. Have a Happy 2002!

Randy (Ls427sc)
Old 01-02-2002, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Randy,
I have heard that over and over again. I also thought it might have some validity to it. Halon/Halatron outside, in an open car, etc., etc.

All I can say, and for those that witness'd it I am sure they will also agree. The fire at run n gun, with the Cobra 90% engulfed, flames at least 15 feet high, Jay almost knocked the whole thing down with the 1.2 (?) chrome extinghuisher we had in our car. (The small one.)

We actually thought he was going to get the entire fire out for a second. If it hadn't been for the gas cap being ripped open and raw fuel just gushing out I think he would have been able to do it.

Have I ever told you guys about what I think of those "stock" type Lemans caps!?

DV
Old 02-16-2002, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone know what kind of chemical are in the bottles that Enzo sells? Also, I saw some bottles labled "Bicarbon." Does anyone know how this stacks up to Halon or Halotron.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The first bottle I got from Enzo was SODIUM I git the second from Jim Woodard that got it from DV is HALOTRON (I think)

I do not know if Enzo carries both types or not. It is easy to find out just call Paula and ask.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 02-17-2002, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is there any online place that sells the fire suppression systems?
I have Enzo's fire extinguisher installed now. I think I would like a halotron one also.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check out Sube Sports at www.subesports.com. They have a bunch of different styles of supression systems.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Southern Automotive "Super FE" - 452ci FE390 Monster!
Send a message via Yahoo to patrija
Not Ranked     

Just took delivery and mounted a very nice, 1211 Halon extinguisher from H3R. I ordered model A352T in chrome, which is a 2.5lb extinguisher. I thought the price was fair at about $140, particularly since both the delivered product and customer service were top notch.

http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm

Last edited by patrija; 03-13-2002 at 08:09 PM..
Old 03-14-2002, 04:15 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC
Not Ranked     

Since I'm pretty much a newbie I ask this,are Cobras that prone to catching fire?
Charlie
Old 03-14-2002, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, they're not prone to catching on fire. However, must people on this board favor safety and like to be prepared for almost anything. No one wants to be caught in a burning vehicle.
It's better to have a fire extinguisher and not need it than the other way around.
Happy motoring.

Scott
Old 07-11-2005, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 302 w/ 4 bbl
Not Ranked     

This is an old thread, but it convinced me to spend a bit more to get the 2.5# Amerex Halotron fire extinguisher. In chrome, of course! I looked around on the internet and got my best deal locally here in Wichita from Kansas Fire Equipment Company. If you want a quote, contact Rick at www.kansasfire.com or 316-262-8943. Good folks.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

i have a 40# one in red in the trunk opposite side from the battery. used for traction only. unless of course there is a fire.
have you ever used a 2lb extinguisher on a fire. its like peeing in the wind. dont get burned
tommy