Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default First Replica: Cobra, Daytona or GT40?

I'm getting close to pulling trigger on a new toy. I love the Cobra but also the Daytona coupe and of course the GT40. Did any of you consider these? What are the pro's and cons of each?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you're building it, coupes are much more complicated. Also harder to get in and out of, especially the Daytona.
Larry
Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I'm getting close to pulling trigger on a new toy. I love the Cobra but also the Daytona coupe and of course the GT40. Did any of you consider these? What are the pro's and cons of each?
The roadster offers the wind in your hair

The other two do not.

Which is your favorite?

I ask because after all, it is your money.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-31-2015, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I love my roaster (I live in AZ) but if I were younger and much more flexible, I'd really like a GT40, (the sound of a high winding small block with the "bundle of snakes" exhaust, is orgasmic) You should consider your own physicality, and what it might be in the future, if you plan on keeping the new toy for years.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks. I won't be building it. I notice coupes are 50%+ more. And GT40 even higher. They look awesome and I like the shelter from crazy hot Dallas sun!

But the open top is quite fun too. Is there a hard top option for the Cobra's?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I had a roadster that I raced and loved it but the heat here is to much to drive it in. I now have a Daytona Coupe which I really like. Both for the hardtop and the aerodynamic improvement. The Coupe is a little harder top get into and out of, but I don't have much of a problem with it. I have a friend with a Gt-40 and it is really nice and just a little harder for me to get into and out of than the Coupe.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does the coupe rattle more because there is less wind noise? I've never driven a kit. While I don't expect total refinement I do plan on getting a $60-$90k car so don't want to feel like I'm in my kids big wheel ;-)

What can I expect?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

If I missed it - sorry for the repeat.

Are you building or buying?

Tru
Old 07-31-2015, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

NOT building. Also which is better for coupe Superformance or Factory 5?

Last edited by Evoking; 07-31-2015 at 11:35 AM..
Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

As a first time buyer of street versions of real race cars you really must find a car and at least ride in it. Some people may even let you drive it.

Cobras as open top roadsters feel spacious even though the seats are a little cramped.

Daytona Coupes (depending on when the car was built and by whom) can be cramped.

I think your sights on a Coupe or GT40 for 60-90K are off by 2x.

GT40's are going to be claustrophobic. You are very low to the ground (40" at the top of the roof) but the seat is not movable - it's part of the tub. Very cramped side-to-side and getting in and out is more difficult than you'd think.

New versions of the Coupe and GT40 do include A/C so you won't bake.

I'd suggest you visit car shows. Cars and Coffees are really good, if there is one nearby. Ours always has a bunch of Cobras, and one guy has both a Coupe and GT40 and brings one of them on occasion.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Building can be thought of as a set of stages.

Ever built a car before???

TRu
Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Superformance doesn't sell "kits" for assembly. FFR doesn't sell finished rollers. Two completely different approaches.

As far as refinement - it depends on the source. The better engineered ones (read more expensive) are very refined compared to an original. Still very raw compared to any newer car.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is a very good point.

This is basically a frame with an over powered engine stuffed into it. Nothing like a new car.

Tru
Old 07-31-2015, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry. I just edited my response. Definitely NOT building. Want a fully built car.

Also, I noted Factory 5 kits are $20k whereas a Backdraft roller is $40k. Is a Backdraft Cobra that much more quality than a FF Coupe? Yet I see FF coupes are $60k-$150k. So the kits are cheaper but once assembled they are 2-3x Backdraft cobra 427?? What gives?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Does the coupe rattle more because there is less wind noise? I've never driven a kit. While I don't expect total refinement I do plan on getting a $60-$90k car so don't want to feel like I'm in my kids big wheel ;-)

What can I expect?
How tall are you?

What do you weigh?

There are Coupes and GT40's are a bit tight for some

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-31-2015, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

5'7 180. Built like a runningback. Btw, what would it cost to retrofit ac on a coupe that doesn't have it?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You're not going to have a lot a trouble getting in/out of a coupe. At 6'2", it's hard for me. (but worth the trouble!) I think GT40's are easier to get in/out of but the roof section of the door requires that you open the door completely. It something you have to keep in mind when parking. As far as GT40's, SPF is the best IMO, hands down. A lot depends on your budget though and I think they are above $100K. As far as best roadster, Kirkham is tops, again IMO.
Larry
Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

The Superformance Brock Coupe is a really nice car. The price skyrocketed a few years back when Superformance inked a deal with Shelby .. becoming "Shelby authorized". Prior to that the Coupe was maybe a $95,000 car (depending on WHICH ENGINE you put in). You can totally change a car cost by going from a $10,000 very solid crate motor, to a more exotic 100% aluminum block motor for $25,000 or more.

I have only ridden in a Superformance on a road racing track for a few laps. Not difficult to get in or out of .. very quiet and refined. Superformance is a factory built car and built to a very high standard. My ERA FIA roadster is also a factory turnkey .. and built to a very high standard. As far as being "kits". A superformance or ERA "turnkey minus" (finished body minus engine and trans) is no more of a KIT than the original cobras. Bodies and chassis came from one source, had some modifications, and an engine and tranny installed. Today's chassis are made of superior steel and normally a thicker tube (weather round or rectangular), for a stiffer car.

I was conversing with a gent who had an original 289 cobra roadster as his daily driver for 3-4 years back in the early 70's, and today has an ERA 289 FIA. He said the only difference in the two cars is that the ERA is more solid and reliable, but a very similar driving experience. There is a company in the Midwest (Rod Tops) that makes a dynamite soft top for cobras (has one as an upgrade for FFR) that won't rattle. They make a solid wood header and a really neat frame and canvas top cut to fit. They need your car for a week to make a custom top.

There are AC units made to retrofit into street rods .. so you should be able to get one for a Coupe or GT40. Or even a roadster. I just use a large Aussie hat and sun block!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Hello Evoking,

I've owned a Cobra and now a Daytona Coupe, both Factory Fives. After roughly ten years and several thousand of miles of seat time between the two cars, I couldn't tell you one was better than the other, just different. In some ways, I liked the open air motoring better, but it's nice not to have the sun cook you on a longer drive. The Daytona is a lot harder to get in and out of, especially with the aluminum seats I have in the Coupe because you can't slide across them. I rode in a SPF Coupe for about 200 miles and the refinement was superb compared to my FFR. I love the GT40, but have never been in one, so can't comment.

By the way, my Coupe is for sale for $55k if you're interested. It's listed with details on ffcars, in the classifieds. I bought it half finished and among many other things, took the AC out and boxed all the components. It was a messy install, and I prefer these cars to be more about performance than creature comfort. The AC unit could be installed, but it would be a real chore. PM me if you're interested in more photos, info, etc. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited by 4into4; 07-31-2015 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I only like cobras for a car to drive around, anything with a top I would get a new vette...