• 1 Post By gthompson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2015, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker, RHS Alu. heads, Dual Quad set up. Mild cam
Not Ranked     
Default It will never be "fixed"

Don posted something on Facebook the other day that got me thinking. What is the one thing on your Cobra that you have spent hours trying to fix or get right and is still not fixed or "right." I have quit a few for this list but I am going to go with my:

Throttle Cable. Replace 4 times, multiple brackets and stretched cables, etc, etc.

What's yours. Pics add to the story.
Attached Images

Texasdoc likes this.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Leaks - I finally decided cardboard underneath was less stressful than constantly chasing gaskets to repair an occasional drip - that inevitably returns or shows up somewhere else. As long as they are small and don't make a mess on the bottom that I can't wipe up with a paper towel every few months - I'll live with them.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My training as an engineer and pilot tells me that there is always a root cause for every problem. When the same part fails more than once, there is usually some deeper root cause at work (e.g., poorly designed or constructed part, inadequate part for the application, incorrectly installed part, stress placed on failed part by some other incorrect part, etc.). If I don't fully understand why the part failed, I accept that it is very likely that the new part will fail also.

Sometimes I find that the root cause is harder or more expensive to fix than the part that failed. Tires and mechanical points fall into that category. In that case the failed part is considered worn out rather than faulty. Or like DanEC, I simply accept the problem as less troubling than the solution.

I've had cases where I thought I understood the root cause and it turned out I was wrong. But even in those cases, I ultimately discovered what was really happening. I don't subscribe to the concept that some problems cannot be fixed. ... I do subscribe to the position that, as in politics, for every problem there is a solution that is quick, easy, cheap and wrong.
LoBelly likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

Sometimes it boils down to replacing the loose nut behind the steering wheel lol. Making tweaks and improvements is one of the most fun parts, besides driving of course. Electric fuel pumps have given me the most grief, now running a Edelbrock mechanical with crossed fingers. No more wine...
Old 12-16-2015, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe. ZZ502FI. 502 HP
Not Ranked     

Fuel sending units are unreliable and almost worthless. Had mine changed at only 400 miles and still very inaccurate. Using the mileage for adding gas is a pain but part of the beast I guess.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Leaks ...
Yep, leaks are high on the list. But the tricky thing about these cars is that there are so many little things that are constantly getting out of whack. I've had my car going on ten years now and if I sat down and went through every little thing that broke, leaked, or just didn't work right and that needed to be tweaked, I'd be writing a long, long list. Lights, switches, speedo reversers, gauges, engine stuff, interior stuff, top stuff, nuts and bolts coming loose, tune up issues, wires chafing, headlights, and that's only the stuff I can think of without looking at my logs.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

I've had my car going on 27 years......I am in the middle of switching out the tranny and diff......tranny broke ..diff leaks.....changed the radio...(Bluetooth).....buying new wheels and tires....The sidepipes are being replaced ......a new look for the next 30 years......wait I've changed the interior about 5 times during the life of the car too.....still loving it ......nothing like driving this car ....nothing.......😈
jhv48 likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I have a remote oil filter mount that leaks. I have tried different filters (Purolator, Wix, Motorcraft) and they all seem to leak at the gasket. Using an oil filter wrench to tighten them doesn't seem to provide any benefit. Oil pressure never goes above 75 PSI, so that shouldn't be the issue. The only thing I can figure is perhaps there's a scratch somewhere on the mount that allows the oil to seep - but I have yet to find it. Will probably replace the damn thing in the spring.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 3020 Competition, 427; CSX 4385 Aluminum Body, 427; CSX 2096, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralCobra View Post
Don posted something on Facebook the other day that got me thinking. What is the one thing on your Cobra that you have spent hours trying to fix or get right and is still not fixed or "right."
Don's Cobra and Don's Truck for the last 6 months!
bwcobra15 likes this.