• 1 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Shell Valley question

I'm looking at a '67 Cobra listed with buyavette.net. The ad says it's a Shell Valley build but the Mfg. tag shows "Shelby American, Inc.." Did or does Shell Valley have any affiliation with Shelby American?
Also, it has a 390 cu. in. with a 4-speed. Any comment on having a 4-speed Cobra?
Any info and or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Ron
Old 03-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can't answer the question about it being manufactured by Shelby American but I don't think Shell Valley is like Superformance and is recognized by Shelby. Others can answer that. But there is definitely nothing wrong with having a 4 speed transmission as that is what the originals had. I know several people who have 4 speeds and a few that have automatics.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Just remember that these cars are REPLICAs. People put all types of things on these cars to make them look like a real Cobra built by Shelby America. I have seen them have the Shelby tag with the Vin number of the original car that they are trying to duplicate.

This is fine if you are only trying to go the Nth degree to make it a perfect replica of a particular original, but are not trying to fool someone with bad intentions. The problem is that after these cars get sold a few times, unknowing or unscrupulous people misrepresent what the car is.

No wonder Mr. Shelby got annoyed and took legal action. I'll stop here, as the previous sentence could be debated forever, and we will never settle anything.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

No problem with a four speed in a cobra replica. I would suggest going to see it and go for a ride. See how the car feels and handles. Quality wise, there is a wide range within each manufacturer from pieces of junk to spectacular builds. A lot depends on the skill level of the person putting it together. Buying a cobra unseen is risky, especially if you are not buying from the original owner and can ask specific questions about the build.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Badges can be bought on Ebay. It's decorative and that's all.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Just saw the picture of the badge in question, it's a replica Shelby American type badge with the worst frame number stamping job I've ever seen. It should make any purchaser wary of what else is bogus on this car.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default '67 Shell Valley ???

All the info is really appreciated. If these guy's at buyavette.net will give me a fair trade, I planned on having the car inspected by a licensed appraiser. They list the car as a Shell Valley even though it shows the "Shelby" vin plate. The 390 and 4-speed don't bother me and after reading all the threads on them, I'm less worried about getting a lemon. If anyone else takes a look at the ad, I'd sure like some more input. I'm a Vette and street rod owner and am not well versed in "Cobra." Thanks again, Ron
Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is this the car:
http://www.buyavette.net/1967%20Shel...067-115956.php

If so, let me assure you: This car is NOT A SHELBY! Those plates can be acquired on the street and attached to anything. The number on that plate is not a CSX number. Where did you see a CSXnnnn stamping? Understand that it is a Cobra replica but not a Shelby car of any kind. The dash is a dead giveaway. This isn't a barn find waiting to fund your retirement account Is it a Shell Valley? Probably, but there are lots of Cobra replica builders out there so find an inspector that is well versed in the lesser known replicas.
ront49 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-11-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-11-2018, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

The emergency brake is in the wrong place to be an original Shelby Cobra 427 SC. It should be in the side of the transmission tunnel not the top...
Old 03-11-2018, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shell Valley is a very good company and a very good car. It's quality, just make sure you or someone on your behalf does a wiggle check of everything to make sure the builder didn't take any short cuts. If it's done right it'll be worth it. 4 speed will make your foot box a little more crowded than an automatic but most Cobras are 4 or 5speeds

Good luck and have fun

Shell Valley Classic Wheels, Inc.
ront49 likes this.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This plate stands for Shell Valley hence the SV at the start of the stamping. As for it being bad stamping, some of the originals were worse than that right from Shelby in L.A.

Ron
Dwight and ront49 like this.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

That being said it should have a Shell Valley tag and not use a Shelby American tag which causes confusion especially for the original poster.
ront49 likes this.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with you about that but I see them around here all the time with those Shelby tags that they buy blank and then stamp them with whatever they want.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4133 View Post
That being said it should have a Shell Valley tag and not use a Shelby American tag which causes confusion especially for the original poster.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For $16 plus shipping and 4 rivets, anyone can own an original Cobra as 99% of the public would have no clue as to otherwise "Is that real........" Yup check out the VIN number"

What a sweet deal!!

Early 427 Cobra Chassis Serial Number Plate

Last edited by 40k Later; 03-12-2018 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40k Later View Post
For $16 plus shipping and 4 rivets, anyone can own an original Cobra as 99% of the public would have no clue as to otherwise "Is that real........" Yup check out the VIN number"

What a sweet deal!!

Early 427 Cobra Chassis Serial Number Plate
Is It Real Or Is It Memorex?
Ron61 likes this.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #294 , Center Oiler FE
Not Ranked     

I have a Unique 427 - Black / Black 428 2x4bbls / top loader 4 sp / jag rear end - sorted and nice for the same price ! Just bought an ERA !
Old 03-17-2018, 06:55 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

The car is certainly a Shell Valley. The tag is certainly an internet-sourced novelty item. I have a 25 year old home-built Shell Valley car that I still love to drive. They're decent cars, especially for the price. Judging from the photos, I'd say the price is in the general ballpark (maybe a little high), but only a test drive can tell you what you really need to know. Providing that 390 is well-built, it is fine choice for that car. The 4-speed is no big issue if the rear axle ratio is appropriate. You can enter the Cobra hobby for not a lot of money with this car. If you later want something more sophisticated, there are plenty of pricier cars available all the time. The guys at Shell Valley are good guys, too, in case you ever need anything.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have a Shell Valley Street model and like it much better than my Superformance SC......
Old 03-17-2018, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer5 View Post
I have a Unique 427 - Black / Black 428 2x4bbls / top loader 4 sp / jag rear end - sorted and nice for the same price ! Just bought an ERA !
For the same price as the Shell Valley, this Unique is a smoking deal! Not at all a knock on Shell Valley, but an FE powered Unique with their independent rear suspension and more accurate looking body/stance is a heck of a good buy comparatively speaking.
cycleguy55 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 03-17-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Old 03-18-2018, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 USRRC - sold, RCR GT40 - Sold , WC Cobra - Sold, Stallion - Sold, Tiger - sold
Not Ranked     

They safety-wired the spinners; however, they appear not to be knock-off rims, but bolt-ons with cover plates. Always interesting when they tell you up front that, "it will not last long." !!