• 1 Post By double-rr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK4, 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default A month after issuance, Texas DMV just told me my title is invalid

The letter claims they are missing required supporting documents and that the issued title should carry a designation of "REPLICA: 1965 SHEL". The title they issued to me a month ago says "REPLICA: 1965 FORD", same as others here.

Additionally they are telling me I need to returnt the Certificate of Title, VTR-63 for the motor, and photographs of the exterior (font, back, and sides), all of which I supplied when they issued me my current title. Has anyone else run into this?

Last edited by shark92651; 11-03-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Old 11-03-2019, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

I got the same letter. I think the DMV has their head up their ass, as usual.

When I submitted my registration, as instructed, I had the clerk add the comment: "REPLICA: 1965 FORD", as i dont think "SHEL" was one of the options on the dropdown box on the screen.

My letter also stated the following documents were missing:
1. Picture or Example of model year and make that the vehicle resembles:
2. Photographs of the vehicle - front, left side, right side.

I DID include the photographs in the packet. They must have lost them. Regardless, my wife reprinted the pictures and I'm returning everything this week in the mail.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-04-2019, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectibles, Forte 427 SB, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I registered my car around October `17.

At the start of this summer, I got a notice in the mail saying my title was suspended do to missing VTR 63 for the motor, pics of an original car, and front, rear, side shots of my car. (why after a year and half?)
I submitted all that stuff when I first registered the car.

I re-sent the pics and a copy of the receipt for my motor. (Got it from Forte`s Parts Connection)
After 6 weeks, I never heard back from the state so I called them.
Spent about 30 min. on the phone with some guy who was absolutely clueless. Said he`d give all the info to somebody else in another dept.
I got a call a week later saying they received the info and all was good.

When you send it in, you`re gonna have to call and follow up.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK4, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Their website was broken and any form downloaded ended up as a zero-byte file. I called and they said I could just include the invoice from my motor purchase. I sent that, along with the pics (again) in the mail yesterday. They must have initiated some new procedures which is causing them to review previously issued titles for ASVE. I had the invoices for my motor, transmission, and kit with me when I went to the tax office but they said they didn't need them since I had that info on the VTR-63. Go figure.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Do DMVs all around the world operate on the same template? What you're reporting sounds so familiar

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11-05-2019, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

I mailed mine back today, along with the requested photos I ALREADY sent the first time... I'll follow up via phone in a week and see if they actually received it.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

DMV's are a pain in most states. I bought mine from a gentleman from AL. It was titled and registered as a 1965 Ford Cobra, but AL. doesn't have paper titles for automobiles older than 30 (I think that's what it is) years old. I took everything he sent me to a tag office and included everything PA's DMV requested (less a paper title). I filled out for it to be titled and registered as a 1965 Ford Convertible. After over 3 months and not receiving the title or registration (the phone calls were fruitless), I went to our state representative's office and asked them to find out why. They said it was denied and I was supposed to have received a notice of denial 2 months earlier. I never received one. The rep's office again sent everything the DMV requested. It was denied again, twice. Long story short, the rep's office sent them an email that I would be filing a request for a hearing and have a judge determine if everything was in order. I received a title (1965 Ford Convertible) and the registration in just over a week!
The reason I wanted it titled as a 1965 Ford Convertible was to avoid all the hassle of having it inspected (it would have cost me $125.) and would have been titled as a constructed vehicle and I couldn't get it registered as a Classic or Antique vehicle (they are lifetime registrations). A Constructed vehicle registration would have to be renewed yearly and it would've been harder to sell here in PA. This way if I sell it here in PA, the registration plate can go with it and the new owner would only have to pay the title and tag transfer and no yearly fees.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got my revised/updated titled back from TxDMV last week! Whew, thats a relief... now I'm "official" again ....!

The only change is in the remarks: "REPLICA: 1965 SHEL"

xb-60 likes this.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Congrats Bob! You probably know this, but for others, the "REPLICA: YYYY MAKE" comment on the title is referred to in the regs as the "Replica Stamp." This is the prerequisite which entitles you to get a "Custom Vehicle" plate for an ASVE and hopefully avoid annual inspections.

At this time, I am not sure whether Custom Vehicles will still be able to avoid annual inspections going forward. There was some language in the 2019 bill that the dune buggies promoted that may take us back to annual safety inspections. We'll find out in 2020 I guess

Sam
Exes: ERA #745, CAVGT #180, Kirkham KMP0268, SPF GT40P2306, '05 Ford GT #1605, Exact 008, Kirkham KMP0928
Old 12-19-2019, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2005, Keith Craft 408W TKO 600 IRS
Not Ranked     

I registered my car in 2017 with TxDMV. I dug out my title and it has - REPLICA: 1965 SHEB.

Not SHEL. I guess that is close enough.

Russ
bwcobra15 likes this.