28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rookie Cobra builder

Hello everyone. I am just getting started building a Cobra Kit from Lone Star Classics. I met with Frank Newman the other night at a rally. His car is something special. He told me about this website and so far its great. I am sure I will be asking a bunch of questions in the future. To those traveling to Austin have a wonderful trip, keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Welcome!

I too am just beginning my build, a Lonestar as well. You will find that this is a GREAT forum with a swell bunch of guys, (just watch out for Tom... ) There is a lot of knowledge on this site, and these guys are willing to share.

So, whatcya puttin' in yours? I'm stickin' a 392 stroker in mine, 3.73's, little shot of juice...tranny??? Dunno, TKO, (auto, gotta say it quiet)

Enjoy the build, and let me know if you find out any tricks!

greg
Old 02-18-2002, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Greg, I first was going with a 302 but now I'm changing my mind to a 351W. As far as the tranny I don't know yet. I built a 302 motor and its on an engine stand in the garage ready to go. Going to go pick up my 351 hopefully tomorrow. Its a 1969 engine that needs a rebuild. My next thing to aquire is an 8.8 rear end with control arms. Do you know what is the newest year of Mustang rear end I can use? Also I'm purchasing the kit as I build so I hope to be finished by the end of the year. Who knows this may turn out to be so much fun that I will attempt a full comp. beast next year. Catch you later. Pat Jones.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Pat

Yea, your way out front, I'll be hounding you with questions questions questions. I went with the Currie 9" w/3.73's. I'm picking up a 1969 351W that needs a rebuild as well! Looking at one of Craft's shorts though, if I can justify the $$$$. I too am buying in stages, fortunately, I only live 25 mins from LoneStar!!

Hey, I did hear some of the guys here talking about buying a wireing harness form a vendor instead of LoneStar's. I'll snoop around and see who's it is.

Don't know about the latest year for the 8.8...

greg
Old 02-18-2002, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lone Star Videos

Hi! I'm working on my Lone Star here in Waco. In case you don't know, there are three videos about the Lone Star on the show: "Shadetree Mechanic". The guys that assemblied the Lone Star are Sam Memmold and Dave Bowman. Their web site is: http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/site_map.htm. For some reason, I don't see these episodes there.

I bought my copies about a year ago from 1-800-544-8485 as follows:

ST8-01- Cobra Reproduction Build I-Lower Engine & Suspension
ST8-08- Cobra Reproduction Build II-Upper Engine Brakes
ST8-12- Cobra Reproduction Build III-Cobra Reproduction Build III

The videos show the following on the labels:
The R.W. Schripps Company
Box 50970
Knoxville, Tn. 37950
Ph 423 694 2700
Fax 423 531 8933

If you want a copy and the above information doesn't help, I'll run you copies.

Good Luck,
Bill Taylor
Old 02-18-2002, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wiring

Add these sites to your wiring search:

http://windsor-fox.com/wiring.htm

http://www.painlesswiring.com/harness1.htm

http://www.wire-works.com

I bought the painlesswiring from Lone Star. I think it is made in Ft. Worth.

Good Luck,
Bill Taylor
Old 02-19-2002, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill!

If I can't find the video's I'll definately give you a shout!

greg
Old 02-20-2002, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello!

Sounds like there are several of us building Lone Star's. I just picked mine up a few weeks ago. I'm finding there is a lot of info available on this site as well.

Bill - Thanks for the info on the videos. I will definitely try to track those down. I also appreciate the tips on wiring.

Greg - I saw you lived only 25 min from Lone Star. I'm about the same (in Rhome). Where are you at? Maybe we can get together sometime and swap tips. (As soon as I learn a few )

Later,
Jason
Old 02-20-2002, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New LoneStar Builders

Hey Jason,

I'm in Colleyville, just West of DFW airport. Fairly new to TX, so I don't know where Rhome is. Give me a shout and we'll get together.

email: greg.s.rice@mail.sprint.com
Cell: (214)457-7434

Did you poeder coat your frame?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     
Default Re: New LoneStar Builders

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePidler
Hey Jason,

I'm in Colleyville, just West of DFW airport. Fairly new to TX, so I don't know where Rhome is. Give me a shout and we'll get together.

What part of colleyville are you in? My parents live up there off Cheeksparger and Browntrail. I am building a FFR but I wanted to tell you guys about a source for powder coating. I just got my chassis done for $250 in silver. Looks great! Anyway it's a place called Crosslink 817-790-6001 down in Burleson on I-35W. Just ask for Wesley. I have pictures on my site under "chassis" at http://pages.prodigy.net/ryanlogan/

Good luck,
Ryan
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 02-20-2002, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: New LoneStar Builders

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePidler
Hey Jason,

Greg,

Rhome is about 30 minutes west of Colleyville at the intersection of Hwy 287 and Hwy 114. (middle of no where ) I will be in touch soon! My frame came powder coated from Lone Star. I met the company that did it at the Car show in Dallas this weekend, but I don't remember their name. I can find it if you're interested or Lone Star can probably get you in touch with them.

Jason
Old 02-20-2002, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea, Lonestar wanted $450 for the powder coating, thought I could get it done cheaper...or paint it with some form of epoxy paint. You don't see it that much anyway. I think I'll look into Crosslink that Ryan was talking about above. Sounds like we're real close too!

Hey Ryan, good to hear from you. Heck, with all these LoneStar builders, we may have to start our own thread! We are close to your folks, Hall-Johnson and Pool area, just behind the cemetary on 26, (Grapevine Highway), in Highland Meadows. If your in town sometime, give me a shout. I've got a big fridge right beside the Cobra just full of 'coolant', (took your advice to heart Steve).

greg
Old 02-20-2002, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Ryan,

Just surfed your site, looks like you're having fun with the FFR!! Nice story as well, I used to race Super Modifieds, (dirt track, 1/2 mile circle), in Tulsa, Oklahoma. God was that fun. Got my love for the Cobras working at a place called Auburn-Cord-Duesenburge in Broken Arrow, Ok. Owned by Glenn Pray; he built replicas of the old Boattail Speedster and the Tourer. One of his customers brought one to the shop, (I was just barely 16), and I fell in love with it! Now I have one of my own!!!!!!

Good luck with the build, see you on the road someday!!! Give me a shout next time you are in town!

greg
Old 02-20-2002, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Greg, I picked up my 351w last night and sure nuff, a 1969 vintage. WooHoo. I guess now I will try to sell the 302 I built. I didn't really know how hard it was going to be to try and find a 73 or older engine so I bought the first one I came to. Actually I paid 150 bucks for a C-4 tranny and he gave me the engine. Still haven't decided on an auto or standard. Catch you later.