In a previous post several knives were recommended:

Spyderco Rescue or Rescue Jr
Smith & Wesson 1st Response

I stopped in my local gun dealer and found several other knives:

Spyderco Harpy (claw)
Spyderco Merlin (claw)
Cold Steel Rescue (straight)
Columbia River Bear Claw

Would a claw seratted blade be better than a straight seratted blade for cutting harness belts? Any other knife recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Exclamation The best is the blunt end design !

Hi Ed,

The claw types are much harder to insert under a belt and cut IT instead of YOU! They all have a wicked point!!

That's why my choice for racing would be one of the first two you mention. Blunt tip is what you want for race or street rescue.
For the street, I carry a Columbia river Apache, which is also the best folding fighter I have ever seen, but it would take a cool hand not to cut someone with it when trying to slice a seatbelt. The blunt end of the two recommended makes,..makes insertion under the belt easy, so to my mind the question is between

1) The low profile (flatter shape) of the Rescue or Rescue Jr., OR

2) The larger bulkier profile of the S & W response, which has the glass breaker feature.

The Cold steel land sea rescue is a bit wide in the blade for seat belt cutting, in my opinion

By the way, to qualify my statements, I sell all of these knives and a lot more related survival, outdoor, military equipment on line (not a plug, but I have a lot of hands on with each, as well as knife fighting and first aid rescue training)
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 02-18-2002, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     

Okay; What is your URL for your web site, and what are your prices for the Spyderco Rescue & Rescue Jr knives? Any Cobra discounts on the knives?
Old 02-18-2002, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Just wondering

I'm new to the idea of a knife to cut the shoulder harness/seatbelt. I'm an airline pilot and we use a 5 point system but no one has apparently ever had a jam, or else no one who lived, so we don't have the knife. We do, however, have a crash ax which can be used when someone puts their head in the "blow out vent"<G>

Where would such a knife be stored for use after a crash?

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2002, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     
Default my 2 cents

I work for a Police Department and the fire dept gave us a bunch of cutters designed to cut seat belts. The problem with knives is that if your in a position to need to cut the seat belt, it may be a little tough to operate a lockblade knife and cut away at the seatbelt. I think that the tool we have is a protected blade type that would reduce any accidental cutting. I think that you can get these from Gall's magazine. Also, just FYI. any swithblade, butterfly or knife over 5 1/2 inches long is illegal to carry. Its a class A misdemeanor. (not that I care )

Todd
Old 02-18-2002, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are there that many problems with the release mechanisms failing? The knife sounds like a good idea, but I've never heard of a release failing to unlock, except for Jim.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

As to the legality of a knife length, that varies state by state. Same for concealed weapons permits. In CA you almost can't get one, in many other states, like mine, it's easy.

As to the need for one, seatbelts DO lock up, especially if you are hanging upside down, the belts taught, panicking with gas dripping on you ! I imagine the camlock types are way best, but not everyone has these.

OK, here is a special price for club cobra members. Everyone is welcome to order these items, even Turk

My website is: www.omegamanenterprises.com

We do not take phone orders, only on line secure Credit Card or mailed in US postal money orders, either way, use the on line order form to get your total, and a final form to mail in if you go that way.

Choose the ultra light shipping option on the order form. These prices are good only for cobra club members and those who mention it in the special instructions box in the order form. This price is at my cost, but the lowest shipping charge I can offer with my system, is the $9.00 U.L. option, so The end profit will be about $2.00 each. You may order up to 10 knives at that one shipping price

Be patient, if I get deluged, my distributor will have to backorder them !

These Spyderco knives have a belt/pocket clip:

C14SBK98 Black Spyderco full size rescue - - $37.00

C14SOR98 Orange Spyderco full size rescue - - $37.00

C45SBK Black Spyderco rescue Jr - - - $34.00

C45SOR Orange Spyderco rescue Jr - - - $34.00

Oops, forgot the S & W 1st response knife:

SW911 - - - - - $32.00 (Has nylon belt pouch)
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Back in Black; 02-18-2002 at 07:40 PM..
Old 02-18-2002, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back in Black; Thanks for the info and the Cobra Club Member prices. Your the man! I'll be ordering the C14SOR98 Orange Spyderco full size rescue knife. Again thanks for your support.

ps; I got one question to ask you, what's your name?
Old 02-20-2002, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back in Black;

Your web site states:

"Our minimum credit card order is $50.00. Smaller orders O.K., but incur an additional $5.00 fee."

If I order:

C14SOR98 Orange Spyderco full size rescue - - $37.00
Shipping - - $9.00
Total - - $46.00

Question - Do I add an additional $5.00 fee to my order?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Forgot about that !

Most of our orders are in the 100 to 300 buck plus range, sorry, I forgot that minimum order fee. Go ahead and take $5.00 off each order of a single knife. Larger orders will not incur the $5.00 fee, which will be automatically be added to the order if the purchase items are under $50,.... so for more than $50, just enter the above listed prices for each item, from the above post.
Hope that helps. Remember, it's basically our cost on these.

By the way, my name is Steven
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Back in Black; 02-20-2002 at 09:35 PM..
Old 02-20-2002, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back in Black,

What's up with "knife fighting AND first aid..."?
Sounds like a good combination

Last edited by avalanche325; 02-20-2002 at 11:12 PM..
Old 02-21-2002, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking avalanche325.....

Every good knife fighting instructor, if being honest, will tell you that in a fight where a knife is involved, somebody is gonna get cut

The first aid is something I received over the years in various jobs and a college first aid class. Been able to help several people over the years, usually it's just stabilizing them until the EMT folks get there. Look at the EMT guy's belt gear sometime to see what kinda hardware THEY carry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~