28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2002, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     
Question Question on Alden Eagle Shocks?

When putting these together, how far do you compress the springs? Do I screw on the retainer nuts 1/4 way up the shock, 1/3rd way up, till they just touch the spring???

Man I'm having fun!!!!

(Should I post these type questions in the Shop Talk instead of here?)

greg
Old 02-25-2002, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You do not need to compress the spring to any extent. Alden recommends about an inch of threads exposed below the nut. Of course once installed on the car, the adjustment is made for ride height.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahhh...so if my pea brain is reading right, ride hight adjustments are made with those nuts!!??

Thanks Jim!

greg
Old 02-26-2002, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Greg,

Once the spring is mounted you'll need to wind the adjuster up at least untill it's holding the spring in position. That way at full extension the spring won't come loose. hopefully

My Classic Revival uses long travel shocks/Suspension. To use the heavy spring rate and still maintain the ride height I have a tracking spring on the shock. this is a relatively light spring under the main spring. It's job is to keep the main spring under tension when the shock length extends past the length of the main spring. Most of the time the tracking spring is fully compressed and only comes into play when you jack the car up or the wheel drops into a hole or something.

Here's a pic

Cheers

Old 02-26-2002, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm,

So the aluminum 'spacer' between the main spring and the tracking spring...it moves freely on the shock body? And you still 'bottom out' on the rubber bumper...not the shock?

greg
Old 02-26-2002, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Greg,
Be sure to adjust the right nuts for ride height. Adjusting the wrong ones could put you in intensive care, ouch!!!

Hey bud we missed you and the better half in Austin. We are beginning to wonder if she really exist. Non the less looks like you missed out on Tom for he has found a real sweet lady. We have all told him if he gets rid of her, we are getting rid of him. HA HA hahahah

Let me know if you need some help bud. I don't live that far away.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 02-26-2002, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Greg,

Yes you are correct, the spring seat between the main spring and the tracking spring slides on the shock body. I had to make this piece to locate both springs corectly. The shock can still use it's full travel 5" and the rubber bump stop works fine. During normal operation the tracking spring is fully compressed so the sliding spring seat doesn't move. The tracking spring can't twist out of alignment because of the lip on the bottom of the sliding spring seat.

I wouldn't worry to much about needing this set up. When you get your shocks in at the right ride height with the correct weight on them they will probably be fine. I think one of the reasons my chassis is designed this way is to open up the options for spring rates. I've seen similar set ups with 2 different rate springs on the shock to give a rising spring rate for a more progressive ride.

Cheers

Old 02-26-2002, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mike,

Yeah, I figured I wouldn't need it, was just interesting how you set it up. Thanks for the input...especially all the way from Outback...

Steve, I can ALWAYS use a hand. I'm hoping to get to work on it this Sunday, we're having Zax 3rd birthday this Saturday. Give me a shout and come on by. We may need heating oil instead of coolant though. And yeah, she does exist, I promise. I missed being in Austin with the new kit and all. And I missed out on Tom!!???? Oh my....

greg
Old 02-26-2002, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Always a pleasure to try and help out.

Cheers