LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2002, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion, 408W
Not Ranked     
Default steering question

Hello Everyone,

My car has Mustang II power steering. It feels too quick at higher speeds. Right now it takes 3 turns lock-to-lock. I would like to feel that I can drive the car without the risk of flying off the road when I bump the steering wheel.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change gear ratios in a PS unit?

Any other suggestions?

I know that I can buy a manual unit (with four turn lock-to-lock) for $225.00 from Summit, but I am hoping for a less expensive fix that allows me to keep the PS.

Thanks,

Joe Z
Old 03-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Hey Joe,

I can tell you I have driven a kit with PS before and it scares the crap out of me.

Your choice but I would buy the manual unit personally.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 03-17-2002, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, Supercharged Ford 5.0 & all the toys.
Not Ranked     

Agree with 427 Aggie here. I changed mine to a manual as well. That's option 1.

Option 2, assuming you want to stick with a power rack, you should be able to get these units with a slower ratio. You should just start contacting the manufacturers/distributors for info -- Flaming River, Heidt's, Fatman Fab, Stock Car Products, Summit, etc.

Option 3: figure out how to integrate a speed-controlled power assist unit (like the Hondas do) into a Mustang II power rack.

Option 4: slow down.

Cheers,
-Neil.

CMC Cobra, Ford 5.0, EFI, Vortech supercharged, T5Z, 8.8 rear, MII front, 4-wheel discs, A/C, stereo.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Matt & Neil,

Neil, were you satisfied with the change?

I've read about the Honda speed control. Cool Idea. Probably too much trouble.

Option #4? yeah, right.

I've also got my whole front suspension disassembled for new bushings. I'm going to try polyurethane bushings. BTW, I hope that I have ordered the correct bushings. My lower control arm has only one pivot bushing, and the shock is removed through the lower arm. Does this sound like a Mustang II? Could it be a pinto? I asked Summit for mustang II parts.

Thanks and cheers(neil),

Joe

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-17-2002 at 10:48 AM..
Old 03-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Joe, can you get or make longer steering arms, the arms at the front wheels? The arms on my '68 'Vette had two positions (holes) for the tie rod ends, the shorter holes (closest to the upright) were about 20% quicker for racing I guess, the longer were slower. Not familiar with the MII steering setup, just a suggestion. It might be easier/cheaper than changing the rack, but it will also alter the Ackerman steering angles slightly as you approach full lock, unless you relocate the rack to match the steering arm change...
Old 03-17-2002, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

See post above on AGR power steering in Cobra. This setup works.

Anybody thinking of reworking the MII front suspension needs to read the piece on MII front suspension design on Heidts website.

You Texas guys will appreciate this. AGR is in Dallas. For suspension pieces; tubular control arms, coil overs, etc., RCC Specialty Products is in Ft. Worth. Talk to Daryll. He's very knowledgible about Cobras with MII front suspensions. Have one of his setups on mine and it works great. (817)536-3820
Old 03-17-2002, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe -- Can't say I was satisfied with the change or not cause I swapped it out before the Cobra ever drove. I can tell you that I am very happy with the current manual rack, even with the slight stiffness when stopped.

Yes, that sounds like a Mustang II, though I believe the Pinto's were the same arrangement. I *think* the main diffs on the Pinto's were a different rack and swaybar, but the arms should've been the same. I think you'll like the polyU's. It'll make the front end feel more solid/positive, with minimal change in ride harshness.

Another tip -- you'll be surprised how much your alignment settings will affect the steering feel at high speeds. Especially toe & caster. Make sure you experiment with this rather than just going with the default Mustang II specs.

mr0077 -- that's sounds like a good idea with the 2 spindle tie-rod pivots. The point further from the center of the hub would indeed be slower, but will also change the limits of turning radius. In this case, it would have a greater range if turning radius, so that's good, except there would probably have to be an external limiter to prevent scraping the wheels by turning them too much into the fenderwell or control arms. ALso, the ackerman on these cars are also a bit off since they were designed for a car with a 6" longer wheelbase. However, I've not seen any Mustang II spindles with multiple tie-rod pivots.

Jack21 -- I chose the JPL tubular units when I swapped them recently. I'm very happy with them.

Cheers,
-Neil.

CMC Cobra, Ford 5.0, EFI, Vortech supercharged, T5Z, 8.8 rear, MII front, 4-wheel discs, A/C, stereo.

Last edited by Cobra Dude; 03-17-2002 at 12:23 PM..
Old 03-17-2002, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Neil,

Where can I look at JPL products?

Joe
Old 03-17-2002, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure where online -- I found them in Street Rodder. Reason I chose them is cause I wanted upper arms that were more of an A-arm (more wheel clearance than D-arms), yet not a true triangular A (so that it would clear the upper spring perches). Called a bunch of manufacturers and asked them to trace their upper arms and fax to me. Of the ones that fit, JPL seemed to be good quality and price.

The Autocross crowd really seem to like Stock Car Products (www.scp.com) and I know they have Mustang II suspension components.